Omad keto question

conversationstarters
keto
newbies
fasting
food

(Bianca Zavalza) #1

I’m currently doing One meal a day keto but I’m so full and I’m not finishing my whole meal. Is this messing up my ketosis ? Or is it okay to be doing this? Please help

(Windmill Tilter) #2

As long as you’re keeping carbs under 20g/day, ketosis won’t be negatively affected.

(Bianca Zavalza) #3

Omg thank you so much! I appreciate your reply

(Keto Koala 🐨) #4

I do the exact same thing. One meal every 24 hours and I get full very very fast. I’m also carnivore so only eat animal products. You’ll be in ketosis. How long you been doing Keto?? I started on the 1st of January. I find that I’m full for the whole 24 hours. I do have a coffee with 2 teaspoons of heavy cream in the morning to tide me over but then just water. Also WELCOME :grinning:

Welcome Bianca! I am also omad and sometimes it is a light meal because i’m just not very hungry. I’ve been keto now for almost 2 years and I just love all of the positive health benefits. I am keto for life!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #6

[quote="K.Hellmann, I am keto for life!
[/quote]

Same here with me, I’m never looking back. I don’t miss carbs at all.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

('Jackie P') #7

Welcome @Bianca_Zavalza. The only problem with OMAD is that it can quickly degenerate into calorie restriction and all the problems that entails in the long term. It is very difficult to eat quite enough as you have discovered.
I try and mix it up a bit and have some two or three meals a day days so that my body doesn’t get too used to it.
There is a lot of advice about this on the IDM website. Google Megan Ramos OMAD.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

This is solid advice. I remember Megan saying that OMAD is good for mainteneance, but not as good for weight loss. If you’ve lost weight with OMAD that is fantastic! But I do find at lower weights OMAD doesn’t work for me. I kind of naturally do OMAD now and I would love to lose 5-10 more pounds. I think maybe eating more often (and earlier in the day) might help.

I dink bullet proof coffee in morning and about three I have a meal I have never been able to eat a lot I just go by if it’s balanced me I never have went by micros but I cook my meals so I understand what’s there fat protein carbs you will bounce from one meal to all day snacking to OMAD just remember not to punish yourself life is meant to be fun make fat bombs have pork rinds on hand with some nuts you will be okay just keep it simple

(mole person) #10

It went the opposite for me. I lost weight steadily on OMAD but once there I got hungrier and now I eat mostly two, and sometimes even three, meal a day in maintenance.

(Susan) #11

I find I cannot get enough calories in OMAD -the days I do OMAD by accident because I cannot access the food or forget to eat, I only eat about 1000 calories, so I need TMAD on eating days.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #12

If I recall correctly this is why Megan said OMAD might not be ideal for losing weight. Your body adjusts and lowers metabolism. But not a one-size-fits-all thing for sure. @Ilana_Rose is naturally smaller. I don’t know if that is the reason it works for her, since she has a lower energy need. But either way, I’m glad you both found the way that works for you.

(mole person) #13

I wasn’t counting calories. I’ve never been much of a dieter and just ate to satiety at my one meal. But I do agree my calories wouldn’t have been that high. At maintenance I’m eating approximately 1600 calories and when I was OMADing I was definitely eating less than I am now. Probably in the 1300 range daily. So only a deficit of 300 calories. But it’s a guess, I never counted. To me that’s one of the main selling points of the ketogenic diet. I can just trust my body.

These days I’m hungrier and I eat more, and more often. So there was obviously no metabolic slowdown from the minor deficit even over a couple of years. But, again, it wasn’t a steep deficit and my body had the fat to spare easily.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #14

I agree about the calories. That’s why I used the word energy instead. Food fuel. My guess is that you eating to satiety would result in eating less food than me eating to satiety.

I like OMAD myself. But if someone isn’t getting the results they want it’s worth experimenting with eating a bit more often.

(mole person) #15

Yes, absolutely. I think that metabolic states are very different person to person and require very different sorts of interventions for successful weight loss. @Momof5 is a perfect example. She’s having real success now with three 44 hour fasts a week which is great but it’s also a much more difficult intervention then most people require. Luckily she also has an absolutely amazing fortitude.

Ask yourself why are you doing it? Weigh loss? If so be careful long term. My experience is that you will consume far fewer calories and down regulate you metabolism. I will measure the level of sugar and ketones in my blood at least once a week. I have been doing Keto and CHO for about 8 years. I have lots of personal data and can predict with some accuracy if i’m actually in ketosis or not. Weight loss was my primary goal in the beginning. I lost 20.3 lbs of fat in 3 months. with no exercise. Confirmed by a DEXA scan pre and post. I have not been hungry in 8 years. I eat 2 meals a day and consume approximately 2000 calories/day on average. In the beginning I measured my macros. Nothing white or could be white. Adequate amounts of protein 60-80 grams per day. Lots of fat and under 30 grams of carbs per day. Now on high activity days my carbs will go up 100+ grams. I now eat about 30-50 grams per day, more on the weekend. Still fat adapted.
After a 36 hour fast recently, my ketone level was 2.4 mmol/L. The more you are in ketosis the less ketones you burn over time.
In the beginning, experiment, measure and test your own body and how it responses to different foods . I also get blood work done every 6 months.
Good luck!

(Windmill Tilter) #17

Interesting n=1. I’m not sure I understand the statement above however. Can you clarify that? I assume you’re referring to Beta-hydroxybutyrate?