Older women BMR and TDEE?

science
calories

Hi guys,

I was trying to find new elements in order to pass my stall point and I found a calculator for BMR (basal metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). I know that keto enables us to eat more fat in order to loose fat but I supposed (I may be wrong) that you can still reduce your calories in this keto macro (under 20 gr carb, 70/90 % fat).
So I tried the Calculation and since I’m old and very short the result were really surprising
BMR = 1177 calories per day
TDEE = 1412 calories per day
So I may still be eating too much, even if it’s fat. Do anyone know how to increase the BMR ?

Increased muscle mass will lead to an increase in BMR. Are you able to do any resistance training?

EDIT: there is also extended fasting/feasting which I understand can give metabolism a boost.

OK ! I’ll try resistance training then !

But do someone know how much is need ? I mean, if I gain one pound of muscle after a year of exercising like crazy, how much BMR is increased ?!?

Moreover, I came upon this…

Title of the paper : Effect of sustained resistance training on basal metabolic rate in older women. --> OK, thanks god its about women and not old men !

OBJECTIVE:
To determine if basal metabolic rate (BMR) could be elevated in older women undertaking a program of progressive resistance exercise of up to 52-weeks duration.

DESIGN:
Randomized controlled trial with subjects assigned to either a control (CO), high-intensity (HI), or low-intensity (LO) training group for 15 weeks. --> RCT ! So it’s supposed to be a good designed experience.

CONCLUSION : “No change occurred in any group for BMR.”:exploding_head:

Then, do older women get something in exercising or is it a waste of time ?

So is there another way to increase BMR or am I doom to eat less and less even if it’s keto food ?

The good news from the paper is that resistance training is considered beneficial in terms of reduced frailty & maintaining functional independence - plenty to be said for that. Bummer that they saw no increase in BMR but perhaps exercise alone is not enough - no word on what kind of diet the subjects were following but perhaps the relatively low increase in muscle mass is a clue?

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Try eating more for three days, and then do a 36 hr. fast. It will help that stall more then any calculator on the web.

I am an older (69), short woman. When I stalled out eating keto, I stopped logging my foods, just ate when hungry and did not over stuff myself, just stopped when I felt it was enough to eat. The next thing I did was learn about fasting and how to do it correctly. Tons of resources here on how to fast and support forum threads as well. Between cutting out sugar and high starchy foods, then starting to fat I lost my weight and I have maintained it for over a year now. I forgot all about counting calories. I had yoyoed up and down for the last 35 yrs. Now I don’t move the scale more than 3 lbs. one direction or the other. You can do it, and not count calories or use calculators.

Good luck sorting it out.

Adding I do resistance training for the fitness benefits, nothing to do with calories. I love body flex, zumba gold, and QiGong exercise.

I didn’t think of that but you may be right about their diet. I’ll definitely try resistance training for functional independence then.
Thanks for your answers !!!

I’ve never tried more than 24 hr. fast because I’m really scared. But I’ll try that when I feel more confident and less stressed.

Good to know that it is the next weapon to use if I’m still in the stall despite exercice.

Make sure you get sufficient protein - older people are often told they need less but according to Professor Stuart Phillips & Dr Ben Bikman they actually need more. There is plenty of info from both on youtube but hopefuly this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXAUxUi477U will provide some tips. Good luck :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

My understanding is that exercise not only reduces insulin resistance, it also promotes the growth of new mitochondria, which at some point should help with BMR. Getting enough calories—in the absence of carbohydrate, of course—also helps.