Okay, one problem with Sous Vide

(Cristian Lopez) #21

Heat guns are the bombšŸ¤Ŗ!
Surprised there are others that understand the delicacy that a sous vide medium rare sirloin steak, with a crispy outside from a heat gun, and pile high of Himalayan pink salt on top is!!:drooling_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #22

Well originally I looked into all options, including heat guns.
Then I watched a whole video series (like 6 vids) on the Sous Vide Everything channel, called the Searing Challenge, where they pitted all different methods again each other. In the end, the weed burner torch took first placeā€¦ And itā€™s one of, if not the cheapest way to sear your meat too.
Got me a weed burner torch from Harbor Freight for $28 with electric starter, for $28 and never looked back :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™ve used it probably 20 Xā€™s as recently as 30 minutes ago :slightly_smiling_face:

Works great ! Plus itā€™s pretty fun too :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

I have never has a problem with cold meat, I do it last when everything else is ready. Have your pan hot, open the bag and dry the meat and sear it. Work fast. Some things I donā€™t even sear.

(Steve) #24

What David said, Itā€™s timing on serving the meal for me also.
Have the rest of the meal ready then into a screaming hot pan for the sear or the hot grill. Iā€™m not a fan of torches, it makes it taste like propane. Iā€™ve tried quick start propane, searzall, weed burner and even map gas. If Iā€™m making gravy, I steal the sous vide juice by cutting the corner on the bag and reseal then rest the meat back in the water which is the perfect temperature. Make the rest of the meal/gravy. Pull the meat and slice at the last minute. If I am reheating meat the next day then back into the bag and into hot water for the reheat. It also depends on the cut of meat too, a big old brisket gets a different finish then a steak.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #25

Hey Steve, Iā€™ve heard other people talk about a fuel, or propane taste after using a torch, but that hasnā€™t been a problem for me. Not for the guys over at Sous Vide Everything either. Hereā€™s a thought (and its funny, as I actually learned this from gas welding experience) first off, these torches are loud and kind of scary, but you do need to crank them pretty high anyway (higher than most would think is neccessary). Then, you want the hottest part of the flame to be hitting the meat, which is way out, about 16 or 18 inches away from the meat. This ensures that ā€œallā€ of the fuel will be burned.
I think this ^ will prevent any unburnt fuel taste.

(Raj Seth) #26

I like my steak mooing at me - so I sous vide ribeye at 110 - my target temp is below 125. Then, I dip them in melted butter then throw them on a white hot cast iron skillet for 1:15 a side, 2:30 total, and they come out black and blue - better than any steak house on the planet (and I have been to the best of them, in NYC, Vegas & Buenos Aires)

SO just sous vide them to a temp slightly below where you want them so the searing portion wonā€™t take them over the edge

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #27

I cant fault your personal preferences, but I have read that 129 F is the lowest ā€œsafe tempā€ to kill bacteria. I prefer a little more done anyway. Kind of slowly lowering the temp as time goes on. But my latest beef SVā€™s have been great at 134 Fā€¦

(Raj Seth) #28

I didnā€™t mean to imply you have to have your meat rare. Just that you can sous vide to 5-10 dF lower than your desired final done-ness, and let the flamethrower bring it the rest of the way

Actually - amend that - you HAVE to eat your beef RARE!!!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #29

:slightly_smiling_face: lol

I know a lot of steak conesuars have to have their meat rareā€¦ But to me, having it tender and juicy is far more importantā€¦ Not that it canā€™t be tender and juicy and rare too, just that the doneness is secondary to me, after tenderness, juiciness, and of course, taste :slightly_smiling_face:

(PSackmann) #30

The whole point of extra-rare steak is that only the best cuts come out tender and juicy at that temp. I only ask for it, or black and blue, at higher-quality restaurants, anywhere else itā€™s just a waste of money.

The best steak I ever had was in Vegas, a thick filet. Cooked extra rare and not butterflied. The inside was still cool enough that no juices were released onto the plate as I cut into it. That steak was tender like butter, juicy and flavorful.

(Bob M) #31

Anyone who uses an integral for ā€œComputing the Destruction of Pathogensā€ canā€™t be all bad. :smiley: