Okay, officially the best steaks I ever cooked

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

I just made 3 of the absolute best steaks I’ve ever cooked, or have eaten, in my life ! :blush:
Marinaded in some Soy Sauce over night. Seasoned with a little salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Put about a 1/2 a cube of butter in with them. Souse vide’d them for 3hrs at 140, then an awesome sear with my new crazy powerful torch, and Bam ! Unbelievable great flavor, juicyness, and tenderness. Unfortunately, I was so excited to eat, that I forgot to take photos, Maybe next time :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m having a hard time deciding what I could tweak the next time, to make them any better ? Kept drilling the family like, come on, what could make it better, and my GF and her kids just shook their heads. We all just loved it :slightly_smiling_face:

So next time I think I’m just going to use a big, fat, tough as leather, cheap bottom round roast… Souse vide for like 40 or 50 hours, then maybe cold smoke it if I have my smoker by then.

Also, I want to smoke, then do a 40-60 hour Souse Vide on a pork roast for smoked pulled pork…

Probably going to be doing this at least once a week now… Maybe twice :wink:
Can’t tell I’m excited can you ?

(Diane) #2

How thick were your steaks?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

About 1 3/4" I think…

(Susan) #4

I am glad that they turned out so well and that you had a nice time with your girlfriend’s kids too, that is terrific.

(FRANK) #5

Chris, what brand torch do you have?

(Raj Seth) #6

Like Chris here, I have found Steak Nirvana. I have been using the same method for the last 2-3 years, but over the last 6-8 months, I have finally reached the best practice. The results, the best steak I have ever had, and I daresay the best in the world. And I compare to the 5 best steakhouses in NYC and Buenos Aires - been there, done that, they got nothing!!

Ingredients
ribeye - choice, precut from Costco $10/lb
Kosher Salt
Gallon Ziploc
heavy Cast iron skillet
Hot Flame stove (18K BTU)

Method: warning - copious smoke, cast iron pan will burn off its seasoning
Salt both sides of the steak - 24 hours
bag steaks, suck out excess air with a straw.
Sous Vide at 110 for 1.5 hours (not more than 5 hours)
Heat cast iron skillet on max flame for 10-20 mins - will start to look grey
melt butter in a frying pan - turn off heat.
remove steak from bag, dip in butter both sides, season one side (if desired), and put seasoning side down on cast iron pan. (just like the method for making blackened anything)
paint butter on top side, sprinkle seasoning and flip in about 60-90 seconds onto an unused portion of the pan which is still hot. 60 seconds and remove, top with remains butter, and serve.

Yum Yum delicious

(Jason ) #7

I shouldn’t have read this… I have been wanting to buy a Sous Vide, and a food saver/seal-a-meal. Best Buy just sent me an advert for reduced pricing on small kitchen appliances, which I have been successfully ignoring up until now. The two recipes have my mouth watering just thinking about the steaks! Must… Go… To… Best… Buy… LOL. Thanks for sharing.

(Bob M) #8

My problem is the number of steaks, as we make 5+ steaks. And my gas cooktop sucks and doesn’t produce enough heat. The first steak is ok, then it goes downhill after that. It can help to put the pan in the oven a while, or even just use the broiler.

(Polly) #9

Sounds divine!!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

I forget the brand… but its the one from Harbor Freight, for $28 with the built in starter :slight_smile: And its crazy powerful, but quite adjustable.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

Hey, about the food saver seal a meal, I don’t doubt that they work great… But one, they are not cheap, and two, they take up more space. I thought I might eventually get one, but Zip lock brand freezer bags, and a straw to suck out the air works really well too. I’ve been double bagging mine, just to be safe, but I’ve yet to have even a small leak from the inner, to the outer bag…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Sorry to keep raving… But I’m just about ready to say, Id put my steaks now, against the top steak houses in the country :slight_smile:

Sure, I’ve cooked a “few” really great steaks in my 54 years, but I could just never be consistent about it. With Souse Vide, "every steak I ever cook from here on out is going to spectacular :slight_smile: Now, comparing each steak to the last, is really going to be splitting hairs :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

I don’t sous vide yet. However a lot of research has told me chuck roast for 18 to 32 hours then sear and it is better than steak.

Photos please.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #14

Yep. Photos the next time for sure ! In fact, by the time I was basically done searing them, my GF thought about a short video… So next time a video too. That torch is impressive ! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Failed) #15

Isn’t 110° F too low? According to Chef Steps, 129° F is rare. I sous vide mine in an Instant Pot at 132° F for a perfect medium rare.

(Failed) #16

I’ve got a small brûlée torch, but when I used it to sear my steak, I could taste the butane, plus it took forever. I’ll check out Harbor Freight’s torch.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

I think that must have been a typo ?

But interestingly, I saw where Guga (Souse vide Everything) did Ahi Tuna at 110 for like 45… And said it was the best fish he had ever had.
Hmmm… Well I don’t like raw fish. And that tuna looked raw to me. I actually love grilled Ahi… But I always knew when it was done, when the red wine color turned to tan chicken color. That Souse Vide’d tuna was still red. Yuck :open_mouth:

(Marianne) #18

Gotta look this up - have heard the term but never had any idea what it meant. Do I have to have a torch, or can you sear it in a super hot pan?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #19

This guy is a bit over the top but the content is great and he shows a lot of different things to do with Sous Vide https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

Many upscale restaurants use Sous Vide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1UG7fdZwc

It is on my list to get setup to do Sous Vide.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #20

No, you don’t have to use a torch. Guys sear on hot stoves, BBQ grilles, or sometimes they just use a cold smoker after the Souse Vide…

But here’s the thing, no matter how you finish the meat, you just don’t want to heat it any more than the 130 or 140 degrees you Souse Vide’d at, or else you will make it more well done, which basically defeats the whole purpose. This is why it’s always best to let the meat (still in the bag) cool all the way down, or even refrigerate it, so that when searing, it won’t get any hotter than it was SV’d at.

One other advantage of a torch, is that you can concentrate the heat more on the edges, and the fat shoulder of meat, rather than a hot pan which just heats the whole thing at once.