Ok weight loss slowed down - need help on next move

(Jason) #1

ok I have read a lot of the posts on stalls and I read a lot of people really struggling with the mental aspect of weight loss that sounds so painful (I am writing a book about this :slight_smile: ) I feel good i know where i am heading and I know the time has come for a small adjustment so I am just throwing it out there.

I have lost around 18kg in total I am perhaps 10kg away from my goal weight of 90kg (current 101) I started at 119 in May.

I have been using a blood ketone meter and measurements of 0.5 through to 2.0mmol varying differently at different times of day depending on fasting or 2hrs after food. My BS is quite in teh high range 95lowest through to 130 highest but consistent before and after food.

I beleive I am truly fat adapted I feel good mostly, i had the fatigue for quite a while but held out and it passed i dont get it anymore. I workout for 1hr most mornings. I am currently doing bulletproof coffee in the am only and not eating for around 16-20 hrs daily sometimes ive gone as far as 24hrs. This seems to be where my weight loss has stalled.

I wasnt doing the BPC before and or the fasting and my weight loss was around 3kg month, only this time I have lost 1kg in a month It would seem logical to go back to before this but there are a few more changes i made.

I dropped out the almond flour bread i was eating, even though i have tested my BS and Ketone blood levels before and after eating it it doesnt seem to affect me, I can eat berries or whatever now i still remain in ketosis with little change to BS.

I guess my wonder is about 2 things 1 the fasting and bpc and 2 the amount of calories consumed.

I have stuck to around 1600-1800 daily (I am 100kg male) and ive often in the past before keto done the eat more to lose weight thing but never with much or any success, I dont carry loads of fat but I definitely have some to lose. So what is my next adjustment? drop the fasting? or increase calories, I want to add that i really dont ever feel hungry and I eat to feel satisfied.

my food consists of mainly fish, veg, meridian nut butter, xct oil, butter, olive oil., mayo, but i beleive with the blood ketone meter i am pretty sure how my body is reacting to the foods i am eating…would be grateful of anyones thoughts

I keep my focus on positivity also, i know stress increases cortisol which can effect BS and weight loss so i dont get stressed about stuff…

1 worry i have had also is palpitations, ive been taking losalt and magnesium supplements to make sure i get these into the diet and also drinking 3-4litres of water a day, but they have often come back and i dont like them…

sorry its a bit all over the place just tried to get everything out there :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Sounds like you were doing great. Did you make the changes because your weight loss stopped?

If it were me, I would not be doing full on BP coffee with lots of oils added, if I was doing fine previously. Try cutting back on the additions to your coffee. Some weight slow down can be caused by the fact you don’t have much left to lose as well. Also how is your potassium, sodium, potassium and magnesium are the trinity for electrolytes. Make sure you are hitting all three. Sodium being the main one, as it helps balance out the other two.

If the irregular heart beat was a fleeting thing, not reoccurring, dehydration can cause that.

I do fasting with only a dash of HWC in my coffee only occasionally will I use coconut oil, about a teaspoon. I reached my goal weight within a month of starting fasting and IF on the non fasting days, I had 15 lbs. left that needed to go at that point. I only used coconut a few times that month, the rest of the time, simple coffee and HWC.

All the best on the rest of your weight loss journey.

(Jason) #3

Hi thank you for your reply, no I just changed as I had wanted to try the bpc routine and fasting.

the oils added are counted in my daily macros, I just use it as directed but I havent had it today decided to try the fasting without it.

I take some supplements for calcium, magnesium, zinc and I get potassium from losalt which is the best supplement i found for it.

looking at my daily logs, sodium i am low on hitting around 400mg daily around 1900mg short of the rda

(Allie) #4

Why did you feel the need to make the changes to include bpc & fasting when you already were making good progress? These things don’t suit everyone.

(Jason) #5

because i wanted to try them, just had taken me that long since the start to buy the kit and try them out, same reason anyone tries something new i guess, do the research, like the idea and the benefits that people talk of, then try it out for yourself…

(Mike W.) #6

So you’re drinking bpc WHILE fasting or when you’re not fasting? How long are your fasts? My BPC has close to 900 calories, so for me that’s not fasting…

(Jason) #7

I followed the bpc fasting suggestion which was bpc in the am as there were various arguments as to whether it spiked insulin. My bpc has around 300 kals from fats.

I wasn’t fasting at all before just eating regular 3 meals ish

(Stephanie Tebbs) #8

RDA is pretty low for keto. Most of us here shoot for 4000mg minimum. I feel best when I keep it at 5000-7000mg

(Jason) #9

how do you get enough? without drinking salt water all day i would struggle to get anywhere near that?

(Allie) #10

Add salt to cooking and meals. I also take salt capsules that I make up with a mix of celtic grey and pink himalayan salt. Others make a ketoade type drink that you’ll find on here somewhere.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #11

Salt all of my food with Himalayan salt, drink ketoaid occasionally, salt my coffee, eat Himalayan salt crystals straight, etc… I take a 1/2 tsp “shot” of straight salt in the morning and before bed and then chase it down with some water. I have to keep my salt intake high or my body tells me within 24 hours with leg cramps in the middle of the night. If I keep my salt intake above 5g then no issues. I’ve grown to enjoy salt and I bought a bag of small Himalayan salt crystals for a salt grinder and I snack on them during the day.

(Jason) #12

yes i get cramps for sure, i have salt drink in morning with losalt with gives me days potassium mostly and i do have pink salt but i grind it on food thats about as much as i can take, i dont find i eat much though at 1500kals per day there is not much food to add salt to, i guess there must be a way of capping some or taking some more of the pink crystals…

what else do you notice from low sodium? do you find it makes a difference in water retention when you have higher amounts?

(Stephanie Tebbs) #13

There are salt pills that you could take if you struggle with the salt intake and feel you would benefit from the increased intake.

The biggest thing I notice is (TMI) my performance in the bathroom. I have a harder time if my salt intake is lower. I also experience headaches. This is partially due to the salt but I think I naturally drink less water if my sodium is lower so I get dehydrated. I haven’t noticed any difference in water retention personally.