OK so here’s a question - fasting, saliva?

(Allie) #1

This is something that’s been on my mind and I just can’t work it out… you know the yucky film / coating that forms on our teeth after eating sugary stuff? I’ve always hated it and got OCD about brushing because of it. But, how can that still form when you’re fasting? It has to be something happening with the saliva surely?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I have wondered about that too. Maybe it is the stuff your bodies cells are releasing during the fast? Since glucose can be released, it might be a similar action.

Off to google more about this…:slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

Could it be a situation where we aren’t dumping saliva to help chew food (which also sort of brushes teeth) so without all that action stuff just sort of hangs out on teeth?

(Carl Keller) #4

Due to fasting, dehydration occurs, which leads to motley of oral health problems.

• There is an increase in the concentration of Sulphur containing compounds present in the mouth. This leads to a noticeable, powerful pungent breath.
  • Due to the reduced quantity of saliva production during fasts, tartar and plaque build-up occur which lead to gum disease and tooth decay.

Something I found very humorous in this article is:

• WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT TOOTH DECAY WHILE FASTING?*

• Brush right after your meals.

(Susan) #5

While fasting… LOL…

What we should be doing from all this is to brush our teeth more while fasting! That is what I am planning on doing now at least =).

(Allie) #6

I’d be surprised if it were linked to dehydration, at least for me, as I drank an insane amount of water yesterday.

@collaroygal did your Googling have any success? :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Not really, lots of stuff about dry mouth and the sulfur that collects from fasting.

I always keep a glass of water by my bedside, I tend to mouth breath, so I need to hydrate a lot.

I am using a water pic device a lot now as well as brushing and traditional flossing. Amazing the stuff that still comes out with the water pic right after brushing and flossing. Who knew?

(traci simpson) #8

Could it be the same thing when we wake up in the morning. There is always a film on my teeth even though I brush before bed every night.

(Allie) #9

Have you tried mouth taping to help with this?

(Allie) #10

This I don’t get so much, but have done on occasion.
Maybe I should find a dentist to ask… :rofl:

(traci simpson) #11

Lucky you!

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

No I have not, but I do try to roll my tongue so it touches the top of my mouth at the point where the texture goes from hard to soft tissue, and that helps some.