Ok, seriously, what's going on with me lately!

(Becky) #1

Hey all, i hope you are all having a wonderful day! So today has been the strangest day for me. I have not eaten since yeaterday at noon, i was not setting out to fast, but i apparently, inadvertently kind of accidentally began a fast. I have been very anxious about fasting due to my history with food, that being i REALLY like it! But seriously, i have never been able to go long periods of time without eating, my sugar would drop as well as having personality changes (mood swings). I always started with good intentions but it always ended up feeling like punishment, so then i would over eat in an attempt to apologize to my psyche. It was an ugly cycle. So after every ā€œattemptā€ i ever made with cutting back, much less fasting, i just felt like a failure.
Well here it is 2 in the afternoon and im starting to cook dinner for my peeps and it dawns on meā€¦Hey self, you havent eaten in over 24 hoursā€¦so i saidā€¦self you need to eatā€¦and then i laughed at myself cause, well, IM NOT HUNGRY! So, anyhow, thats like a total NSV for me.
The other strange thing today has been my mood. I have been, for lack of a better word, bubbly. Like im laughing and being silly and feel like im running on energy drinks but im not. I dont really know how to explain it, its just a super awesome euphoric feeling. Nothing is bothering me at all, not losing my temper not stressing out, just flipping bubbly. I would like to note that this is not just in my head because my boss asked me several times today if i was alright, and she kinda kept giving me puzzled looks.:thinking: I feel as though i have all these different things running through my head of things to doā€¦and i can do them! Which leads me to the other other thing today.
I woke up way before my alarm and ended up going to work an hour early ( my work day starts at 4 am, so when i say early, i mean early). I had all of my work done for today by 9am, so i decided to be an over achiever and go ahead and start on my work for tomorrow. This never happens to me, could also be why the boss was so perplexed by my behavior. So i get off at 1 and come home start laundry, start dinner, take the dog for a walk and heck i even mopped. All i can say is that if this is fat adaptation then OMG i have found my new addiction!
Now, if you have read this long, ramblingā€‹:crazy_face:, monstrosity of a post then i offer my thanks, and also my apologies :grin:. I also offer just a small little bit of hindsight for anyone struggling. Do not give upā€¦i felt as though all the posts i would read about fasting or fat adaptation were for other people, that id never achieve either of these things, but i still stuck it out, having hope beyond hope, and now i HAVE achieved it (i think :+1::heavy_check_mark:) and the rewards for my patience are paying off, and they will for you too. I have no doubt that anyone can succeed with this woeā€¦we are all worth the effort and the care that we are now giving ourselves. It is not just a number on a scale, it is a way of life that will forever change our way of life. The most amazing feeling is when you start listening to that positive little angel on our shoulder and realize that we deserve these positive thingsā€¦as far as the little devil on the other shoulder, well shove a donut in his mouth, thatā€™ll keep him quiet for a while!
Best wishes everyone, KCKO!!:heartpulse::heartpulse:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

How are you feeling this morning?

(Becky) #3

@PetaMarie
So far so good, didnt sleep super well last night due to going to the restroom 1,000 times :sunglasses: but amazingly im still energized! Still loving this euphoric feeling, man i hope this is permanent. I hope you have a wonderful day maam :grinning:
I would also like to add that im so thankful i found this forum, it really makes this process so much betterā€¦

(Becky) #4

Oh, also, quick question that maybe you could shine some light onā€¦if this is fat adaptation, will it change my amount of ketones? And i did eat last night so it ended at a 31 hour fast, which i still think is pretty good :dancer::dancer:
Also, sorry this was posted in the wrong place.

If youā€™ve been at it for a few months then you should be more fat adapted - it can take up to 6 months or more to really get ā€˜in the zoneā€™. As to ketone numbers - they will be what they will be :woman_shrugging: Some people run higher numbers, some people run lower numbers but as you fat adapt your body gets better at giving you what you need.

Quick thought on all of your energy :slightly_smiling_face: I wonder if some of it isnā€™t coming from the hormonal help youā€™re getting post hysterectomy? A friend of mine had to have an emergency hysterectomy at your age and she felt amazing when she went on HRT afterwards. She said she just hadnā€™t realised how tired she was before & that perimenopause had kind of snuck up on her :slightly_smiling_face:

Fasting isnā€™t a necessary part of keto so fast if you want to or eat if you want to - just listen to your body & take care of yourself.

(The amazing autoimmune šŸ¦„) #6

The energy is the best NSV. Congratulations on the first fast. I believe a lot of people kind of fall into IF and EF naturally when they start listening to their bodies.

(Becky) #7

@anon54735292
I dont necessarily think its from my hysterectomy, i feel as tho id have felt this at least at some point since the hysterectomy, but hey whatever the reason, im digging it lol
@Iced
Yesā€¦the energy is the best part. As far as the fasting, i agree, i was just listening to my body. Or not listening, it wasnt really talking to me yesterday lol. I ate when i was hungry, didnt when i wasnt, and it felt great to be in controlā€¦loving this way of life

Becky this is awesome!! And by the way I did read the entire post and it was great. I can see a blog in your future. Your writing is great, very entertaining and captivating. Good for you. I love reading these non-scale victories, it really gives me a lot of inspiration to keep going. I also have felt that since starting keto about 11 months ago, my mood has improved drastically. I am able to handle challenging times I heckuva lot better than I used to. I would not trade this way of eating for anything in the world. Having all of the extra energy really makes this all very worthwhile. Keep up the good work!