Oil Slick feeling?

(April Siokos) #1

Hi.
So I have a friend who recently stopped doing Keto after about 8 weeks. She lost about 8 kilos or so in that time, slept better, pain and dimmed down and all the other amazing affects Keto has.
She stopped because she felt like an “Oil Slick”. Has anyone else felt like this? If so, when, how long?
I would love to get her back on Keto if it’s just jer body’s why of changing…?
Thanks everyone,
April :slight_smile:

(Karl) #2

Fat phobia, i’m thinking. Gotta push through it until you’re comfortable with the idea of eating a 2 inch chunk right out of the butter dish.

Took me a few months to get to that point. Now i’m all down with my greasy self.

(Pete A) #3

I felt very much like an oil slick the first couple of months, but it (kind of) passed.

For me the benefits of Keto far outweigh this feeling.

I feel like this a bit (one week in). I feel my face is greasy but it could be in my head or could be cause it’s summer or could be I need to shower more lol.

I’m sure it will pass

(karen) #5

Do you know if it’s her body or just her mouth that feels “like an oil slick”?

One thing I do is to usually serve myself one low carb thing that doesn’t feel fatty at all. Some celery sticks with a sour dip, or some sauerkraut, or a small green salad, or green tea with a splash of lemon. Bitter and sour tend to cut the sense of fat overload. My body doesn’t feel oily, if anything my skin feels drier, but my palate can get a little overloaded with buttery goodness at times, so 4 oz of buttered steak, some riced cauliflower in a cheesy cream sauce, and then lettuce with ACV (maybe with just a splash of olive oil if I’m off my macros) create what seems like a more balanced, less greasy meal to me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I’m actually a lot less greasy on keto than I was before. I used to have to wash my face practically every hour, it would get so uncomfortable, and my hair used to get so greasy overnight (ugh!) I couldn’t do anything with it until I shampooed it. These days I’m using a lot less shampoo and I hardly ever have to wash my face during the day. I can even go out before showering if I have to, and still look reasonably presentable.

What does that even mean? How can one feel like something that has no feelings? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s good to hear. I started to go shampoo-less around the same time I started Keto (8 days ago). Totally unrelated. I hate the way my hair feels right now (oily) but it’s starting to look fuller. Apparently after a couple weeks your scalp adjusts and starts making less oil. I hope so.

Sorry to get off topic.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

I don’t feel like an oil slick, but if there’s one drawback to Keto, it’s that it’s a constant struggle to make sure my kitchen doesn’t turn into an oil slick. Especially as I don’t have a proper stove vent.
It’s not enough to make me stop Keto, but it is a pain in the a$$.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Get a large dog. We have a Labrador, and she is great for cleaning up spills on the floor.

I have to admit, however, that we buy dish detergent by the gallon. No matter how clean I get the stove, I know it’s going to be grease-spattered the next time someone cooks! :bacon:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

I have a black lab.

He’s great for getting anything that ends up on the floor, and he gets my pan drippings, but that doesn’t take care of my grease coated stove top, backsplash, hood cover and countertops that need to be washed after every meal.

And it never fails that I come back later and find I’ve totally missed a spot.

(karen) #12

For that you need cats. :smirk_cat:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Believe me, I know your pain! :smile:

Who’s a sweet boy, then? You are! :dog2:

(Ron) #14

Hey sis, look at that cute black stud. He can help me clean floors anytime!:yum::blush:

:grin:

(Tricia Roth) #15

Another useful pup.

My face is somewhere between supple and greasy, and I have a couple of pimples. Not quite an oil slick, but I get it.

(back and doublin' down) #16

it is a bit off topic but I’ve been No 'poo since 2016. I use baking soda on my hair about every 2nd or 3rd day depending on activity level, and rinse with a diluted ACV. It took about a month for my hair to really adjust. Has never felt softer, been healthier and no more hair loss.

(Rob) #17

I can relate to the “oil slick” feeling on a few levels. As someone else has mentioned, it’s a constant batle in the kitchen. I switched dish washing detergents to one that I saw used to clean up waterfowl after an oil spill.

I also feel the oil slick internally I’ve been on keto 10 or 11 weeks now, and I can still tell there’s fatty stuff inside of me after a BM. I won’t go into how I know that … inquiring minds can use their imagination. I use MCT oil in my coffee and I’m used to the MCT oil. It’s normally rounded up as one of the usual suspects for internal oily feelings, but in my case It doesn’t cause any GI distress, I actually like he way my bullet proof coffee lubricates my lips in he morning and gets them ready for a day in the Florida sun. Its better than any lip balm I’ve ever used and doen’t all come off when I brush my teeth. It’s an odd, hard to describe feeling when you know there are fats inside you. they can mess with your digestion initially but that eventually passes. I think part of it is psychological … knowing we’re filling our bodies with things that a lot of well meaning health professionals, actors who play health professionals on tv, and internet journalists have warned us against. (How do you spell that noise you make when you give somebody a “rasberry”?)

To @April_Siokos the OP in this thread … without knowing exactly what your friend was referring to as feeling like an oil slick … that is my rendition. In my case the symptoms are winding down. I’m with @PaulL, I think for the most part the feeling will pass.

(April Siokos) #19

Thank-you everyone. I’ll let her know and see how see feels :slight_smile:

(karen) #20

I was thinking of trying no-poo again, I’m much less oily since starting keto/fasting.

(karen) #21

Phbbblt.