Octogenarian Success

(Joshua Gaines) #1

Greetings All. I’ve been on the LCHF train for about 7 months now, have read/listened to/watched most everything I can put my hands on, and recently met Carl and Richard (and many other luminaries) at LC Breckenridge 18. Like many of you, I’ve been thinking about how I can bring more people to this lifestyle, and have started with friends and family. This week I received the following note from my mother (lives 1,000 miles away) with an update on my stepfather’s progress since starting a ketogenic diet roughly 9 weeks ago. My stepfather is 84, has diabetes and various complications including being overweight (mostly in his abdomen), treated thus far by a sulfonylurea medication (stimulating insulin production), which I’ve told him was not the right medication path. He doesn’t have a ketone meter, but I’d guess he’s found his way into dietary ketosis. In any case, here’s the latest:

"Don went to the doctor today for a checkup. He also had a complete blood workup. The results were amazing. His A1C which measures glucose was just about normal for a non diabetic. All other measures were also within normal bounds.

And…since he has been on the Keto diet he has lost a total of 27 pounds. (This past month alone he lost 15 lbs.))

The doctor took him off Glimepiride and for now did not replace it with any other medication for blood sugar control. Don has promised to test his blood sugar frequently, and call her if it goes up.

Can you believe?

Don is busy buying new clothes. He is so pleased. And I am pleased, too, and respect him for trying something new to take control of his blood sugar. I guess the only part I am not sure of is the FAT in the diet. But his appetite is decreasing and as a whole he is eating less.

So clearly this experiment thus far has been a big success.

Don wants to thank you for turning him towards this diet. He also wants you to please send him the recipe for the pizza crust that you like. And your other favorite recipes.

Hooray for you. Hooray for the Keto diet. Hooray for Don for sticking to it and losing all that weight.

Love you.
Mom

(Rob) #2

Congrats to both of you.

Here is the top pizza recipe (and a few variations)

Don’t sweat the fat. Without carbs, it’s the only way to get the energy to live. As much as it has been vilified, saturated fat is healthy (as proven in hundreds of thousands of ketonians and by many scientific studies) and polyunsaturated fats are actually the bad ones (also proven).

Keep doing what you’re both doing. It is a long-term sustainable way of eating but there are many ways to execute it so if things stop working or get boring, there are myriad ways to shake things up within keto.

(Jeannie Oliver) #3

This makes me so happy! Congrats to Don and to all your family.

(Liz ) #4

Super report! My octogenarian mom is doing well on Keto too :slight_smile: