Oblivious beginner seeks fitness guru

(Becky) #1

Howdy y’all,

It’s been several months since I have posted anything but I’m back :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Life took over for me so been stupid busy, but somehow have managed to KCKO!!
I am seeking some advice from anyone more fitness savvy than myself. (So basically that would be anyone)
Brief backstory/update:
I began my amazing lifestyle change…keto…in January of this year, best decision ever!! I have somehow, by the grace of the keto gods, managed to lose 67lbs so far. I have not lost anything in the last 2 months, but I haven’t gained either, so I’m pretty ok with it (I’m lying, I’m nowhere near ok with it). That being said, I decided not to take this stall sitting still. Last month I began “working out”, still not losing, but again, still not gaining. I am 13 pounds from my :dart: weight.
I live in a very very small town, and have to drive 45 mins to anything remotely resembling civilization, so an actual gym membership is not in my future, but a very kind family donated a fitness center to our town so I am utilizing that. Unfortunately there was no trainer that magically appeared so I’m literally googling my way thru this.
My question is this…if I list my routine, could someone please let me know if I got this or if I am wasting my time, also advice on how to tweak it is appreciated as well. So here goes…
Full Disclosure: use of imagination is necessary due to my complete lack of knowledge as to the names of the exercises/equipment I am using!!

1…20 mins on the treadmill
2…20 minutes on a stationary bike
3…2 sets of 10 on this machine called a machine fly?
4…10 mins on an elliptical (tried going longer but it hurts my knee)
5…2 sets of 15 on a leg extension machine
6…4 sets of 5 knee lifts on a power tower

So this is what I do 4-5 days a week. Is any of it helping/hurting me? I just want to know that what I’m doing is not a waste of time and if so, how can I adjust it. Now keep in mind that before last month my idea of exercise was, well, nonexistent! Thanks for any suggestions!!! Have a wonderful day :partying_face:

(Chris) #2

Nothing hurting you, but you’re skipping bodyparts that should be trained.

Do you have a photo or the name of the machine that you’re doing these flys and leg extensions on? I can try to help you cover your bases.

(Becky) #3

(Becky) #4

@Dread1840
Those are the two machines, I’m very self conscious about the extra skin under my arms and on my thighs so I suppose that was what I was trying to focus on, but I’m eager to hear any tips and info on the parts I’m missing! Thank you so much for your reply and your time!!!

(Marianne) #5

I’m looking forward to @Dread1840 response, and any other experts on this topic.

I am no expert but I would say maybe lighten up on a little of the cardio (maybe do two of your current three) and rotate every time. You may consider a little more weight training, sit-ups and squats.

Congratulations on your excellent progress! Bet you feel fabulous.

(Becky) #6

@gingersmommy, so maybe treadmill one day and bike another? I also wanted to ask if the steps on my smart watch count because I have been setting my goal at 10,000 or more a day…and thank you very much, I do feel better, if I could figure out how to train my brain like I’m training my body I would be in great shape!! I still see myself 60 pounds heavier but I am working on that too.

(John) #7

Calling @AllanMisner

(BuckRimfire) #8

Guru? No. But I have a few disjointed suggestions for you. I’m not a trainer or expert, but I’ve been casually involved in exercise (weight training, kayaking, skiing and bike racing) for 40 years. Let’s say I’m sure my advice is worth what you’re paying for it! :wink:

The most controversial thing I’ll say: only do one set per day TO FATIGUE of each exercise! More is not bad, but you are basically wasting your time. There is a bunch of actual scientific literature (with grad students and everything) in kinesiology/exercise physiology. If you go look at that literature, it is replete with studies that show that one set DONE TO FATIGUE gives strength gains equal to the more traditional three sets. Of course, those studies are short-term. Maybe multiple sets actually help when you get more advanced or for people trying to “get huge,” but for starters (meaning, your first few months or whatever), do one set and move on to another muscle. You’ll get plenty of benefit from that one set, and save a huge amount of time. If you feel you’ve plateaued in the future, you can always add more sets then.

Note the emphasis on “to fatigue.” Lots of people will say “do 10 to 12 reps” or something like that. But that really should be “choose a weight at which you can only do 10 to 12 reps.” If you stop just because you reached a certain number, you haven’t done much good. The signal for the muscle to grow and strengthen depends on fatigue, so keep going until you literally can’t do another repetition.** If that means you get to 15 or 17 reps, that’s fine. Doing a lighter weight at which you fatigue in the mid to high teens is going to let you move smoothly and be less likely to cause injuries than straining to do 6 reps with a heavy weight. Again, this is contrary to the habits of the usual gym rat, but you don’t have the benefit of a spotter. Someone doing heavy weight where they start to fatigue after 3 or 4 reps and need a tiny push from their spotter to make it to 8 reps may look cool grunting and straining, but with lighter weights and higher reps, you won’t need a spotter to get those magic last few reps when you can just barely do it as the muscle fatigues, and you’ll actually fatigue the muscle more thoroughly (maybe, I’m not super-convinced of this last point).

So, you need to experiment by starting light and working up to find out what weight you need to truly reach the point of fatigue in some number of reps between 10 and 20. Take notes on what weight works for which exercise.

Hopefully, in a few weeks you will need to increase the weight to reach fatigue in the target range of reps.

**One caveat or paradox: while it’s generally accepted that working to fatigue in the gym is important, contrast that with my experience in the past as a bike racer. Obviously, I never rode my bike until I literally could not push the pedals any more. Sometimes I got pretty tired, but I could always make it home, even if I had to go up a slight hill. So, by the definition of “fatigue” I’m using in the paragraphs above, I wasn’t fatigued. However, for their size, my leg muscles were freaking strong, and I could do more weight and reps on a leg machine in the gym than almost any guy even close to my size (and less than anyone else on the arm machines!) So, if you are doing thousands of reps, the rules may be different, but I was literally doing 10,000 to 20,000 pedal strokes per workout. Don’t do that in the gym, please. Other people are waiting for the station.

Here is a good website:
http://www.bodytrainer.tv/en/exercise/dumbbell_reverse_fly_bent_over

It’s laid out by muscle, so you can go through and find one exercise that appeals to you for each. I like flies because they are well suited to fairly light weights and dumbbells, but for this example, you could also substitute the “Shoulder row, bent-over” if you found that you prefer it. Something like that where you are pulling or pushing straight up or down will require heavier weights than a fly since the arm sticks way out in flies and for any given amount of weight, there is more torque on the joint with that longer moment-arm.

I also like dumbbells because you have less need for a spotter. You can’t get trapped under a bench press or incline press, for example, like you can with a big straight bar. You can always dump the dumbbells to the floor at each side.

A good trick for exercises using dumbbells is to only hold a weight in one hand at a time, even if the picture (as in the example above) shows doing both arms simultaneously. The imbalance will require you to stabilize your upper body by using various muscles in your core (abdominal obliques, erector spinae, etc) and that sort of makes it a two-for-one: working an arm or shoulder muscle and an abdominal muscle simultaneously. This is a little more awkward, so you probably want to try out the various lifts with two weights first, then maybe switch to doing them with one hand after you get the motions down to a habit. Don’t brace the free hand against anything; just let it hang in the air. (Note that if you have back problems, this may be a bad idea since it is creating a torque across your back. Proceed with caution…)

I would try to work each of these muscle groups three times per week (with exercise in parenthesis or another you like the looks of):

pectoralis (reclining dumbbell flies)
trapezius (upright row)
anterior deltoid (dumbbell shoulder press)
posterior deltoid (bent-over dumbbell flies)
rhomboid (bent-over dumbbell row)
biceps (dumbbell curls, standing)
triceps (dumbbell triceps extension, seated)

On gym machines, you can do leg press (preferred to leg extension because one of the four parts of your quadriceps only fires if your foot is actually pushing down on something), leg curl, leg abductor and leg adductor. Other than squats, deadlift or lunges, it’s hard to substitute for these without machines.

Each session: at least one each from the abdominal and oblique menus. Working these core muscles is what will help save your back in the long run. Again, use caution with these and especially the exercises from the lower back menu if you have back problems.

That should keep you busy for a while…and let the flaming begin!

(Marianne) #9

I would count the steps on your smart watch - 10,000 steps is a lot and you are moving so that should count for something. In terms of your cardio or workout plan, I’d encourage you to continue what you enjoy. If you like your current workout, don’t change a thing.

I don’t particularly enjoy exercise, especially cardio. I do enjoy basic weight training and limit that to the “30-minute workout” at Planet Fitness. That is enough for me. Covers a somewhat comprehensive range of muscle groups, and I am satisfied with that.

I am at the point where I do love my body where it is, which is far from perfect. Took me many years to feel that way, but I have lightened up a lot with age. I don’t want to do anything I find really unpleasant on the quest for the perfect body. Too much like where I was when I was “dieting.” I just want to eat and enjoy my meals and not think about food (other than minimal meal planning). Now, I like to get my exercise doing what I enjoy - walking, hiking, gardening, some weights, “swimming” in the pool (which consists of dog paddling from one side to the other, not laps). Maybe after some time, I will want to try doing some more strenuous cardio.

I know many people enjoy exercise and/or feel great after they do it. Good luck to you and enjoy, however you decide!

:blush:

(Marianne) #10

Fabulous; thank you!

(BuckRimfire) #11

And another thing: When you are doing a bike machine for aerobic training, intervals are more effective and efficient than just cruising along. Maybe cruising is OK for the first few weeks, while you get the hang of it, but after that I suggest you try intervals. You may have noticed a couple of years ago there was a big splash in the media about interval training caused by the release of a study that showed it promoted biochemical youthfulness in cells, unlike other methods.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/why-interval-training-may-be-the-best-workout-at-any-age/art-20342125

There are a lot of variations, but I’ve been using simple 1 minute intervals since 1990, when I read an article about interval training in a bike racing magazine.

To get started, ride the bike at a fairly low level for about 5 minutes pedaling at a moderate pace (70 to 80 rpm). Then, turn the resistance up a few levels and pedal faster, at least 90 rpm, ideally 100 rpm. Strive to maintain a constant rpm for exactly 1 minute, then turn the resistance ALL THE WAY down and pedal at 70 to 80 rpm for exactly 2 minutes.

Now do it again, but this time turn the resistance up one more click than before. Keep doing this until you find the level that you can’t, no matter how hard you try, keep going at higher rpm for at least 50 seconds. Make a note of that resistance level. That is your “work interval” level. You’re done for today.

Next time (ideally 2 or 3 times per week), skip the gradual increase. Maybe do the first one or two intervals at one click lower than your “work interval” level determined above, then go up to doing intervals 1 minute on, 2 minutes off until you get to one that you really can’t finish, then quit for the day. This may take only a few intervals…if you can do more than a half-dozen truly intense intervals, you’re doing great! Note that this whole workout may only take about 20 minutes until you work up.

These things will blast your heart-rate into the stratosphere**, raise your anaerobic threshold, lower your resting heart rate and improve your aerobic recovery between intervals.

**I’m 54, and a couple of days ago, I was hitting 168-169 bpm on the heart monitor a few seconds after the end of each work interval. That’s higher than my predicted max heart rate by age, by some methods of prediction. These intervals really kick it!

ETA: not only are these workouts quick, they’re NOT boring. You won’t be reading a magazine on the bike if you do this!!! After a couple of intervals, I’m barely even aware of anything other than breathing for the first minute of the 2 minute rest, then I take a sip of water from my bottle and it’s time to start the next work interval. Never a dull moment!

Hello!

Just my 2 cents, but I would suggest a few different things.

You could add some bodyweight movements, such as push ups (from knees or on a bench if needed) air squats (likewise, to a bench if needed), lunges (if managable).

Performing leg movements are going to burn the most calories, so hitting them a little more would definitely help.

If you can, adding in burpees or jump rope in between sets would be great. This would keep your heart rate up and keep your calorie furnace burning :slight_smile:

Even when you are on the cardio machines, preforming a few sets of HIIT (high intensity interval training) wouldn’t hurt. This would be like 10-15 seconds of a sprint pace, followed by 1-2 minutes of a moderate/recover pace.

Are there dumbbells at your location?

(Becky) #13

@allthingsketo1, yes I do have access to dumbbells

Thanks so much everyone, I have a lot to consider before going to the gym tomorrow!!! I’m so excited to try some of these suggestions out…ummmm, ok, never in a million years would I have ever thought I’d say that phrase :rofl::rofl:

(BuckRimfire) #14

If you do HIIT on a stationary bike as I described at least twice a week, you probably don’t also need to do any weight training for the big leg muscles (i.e. leg press and leg curls). But doing adductor/abductor machines, elastic band work or cable pulls for the lateral stabilizing muscles is still a good idea. Your knees will thank you if you keep the smaller muscles around your hip strong! Stable hips mean your knees get wobbled around less.

On the downside, HIIT means making a spectacle of yourself in the gym. You’ll be breathing like a steam locomotive and dripping sweat after a few intervals. My spousal critter and kid don’t like to be around it, because they think I’m deliberately being ostentation!

(Bob M) #15

Personally, I do 1 minute of recovery and 1:30 of high on a treadmill. I tried 1 and 1, but it takes at least 15 seconds to go from low to high. I guess it’s possible to shorten the high time and go faster, but physically it’s hard for me to do so. I’m at about 6.5 miles per hour in the high, right now. For comparison, when I actually go jogging, I’m nowhere near that.

(Becky) #16

Here goes nothing…putting some suggestions to use right now!! Hopefully I don’t pass out in here lol

(Joey) #17

@Rseay Wow, you’re working really hard at training - which is wonderful yet all that cardio sounds exhausting :wink: (offered from a guy who’s been doing daily cardio for 25+ years).

My suggestion: Consider simplifying things to help you comfortably stick with it over the decades to come.

A wonderful resource that has really helped me is an affordable paperback:

Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras

Plus a marvelous book from the same publisher:

Stretching Anatomy by Arnold Nelson

Both are extremely well done, beautifully illustrated, and very educational (for me).

After devouring each one from cover to cover, I’ve greatly simplified my previously scattered approach to resistance exercise (used to supplement my daily cardio) while also further extending my overall flexibility - even beyond my highly limber state from 15+ years of Tai Chi.

In other words, I do suspect that you’re working too hard. :slight_smile:

(Becky) #18

UPDATE: I did not pass out or embarrass myself!!! I did the bike slow/fast for two min intervals until I had made a mile (I know that’s not much but it’s better than sitting on the couch) I also did my butterfly thingies until I felt like my arms would fall off ( to fatigue) and the tower leg lift things to fatigue…I really gotta figure out the correct terms! I do agree that maybe I was overdoing it a bit so I didn’t do but maybe half of my “normal” routine but feel like I benefited from the change. I will continue to tweak it until I find my fit.

(BuckRimfire) #19

I just looked back at this and realized I made a mistake here! You need to SUBTRACT ONE from the level you couldn’t complete to get the “work interval” level. So, if I couldn’t finish a minute (or even 50 seconds) at level 14, the next time I came to the gym I might do one or two warmups on level 12, but level 13 would be my standard work interval.

How embarrasking!