NYTimes: The Worst Fat in the Food Supply

(Jason) #1

I feel like this one is mostly right, though they quote CSPI beating their drum about how they were the ones who discovered trans fats are bad. Also they seem to imply that you still need to watch your saturated fats as well which I guess is also true for regular people who eat carbs.

(Mark Myers) #2

My speculation, and I have no science to back this up, but I feel that a fat burning human body can easily assimilate naturally occurring non-hydrogenated trans fats. But probably doesn’t recognize hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated trans fats. I’d like to see the science on this to either back up or dispel my assumptions.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

The understanding I have is that trans configured molecules are mistaken by your cells for saturated fats. Only they make loose gaps. Permeable membranes. Bad mojo.

(Mark Myers) #4

All trans fats? Or just hydrogenated?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

Distinction without difference. PUFAs will configure to trans under heat. This is why you want to cook with stable oils.

There are natural trans fats. It would be hard to consume enough to study them in the wild.