NYTimes: Fasting Offers No Special Weight Loss Benefits

(Jason) #1

Alternate day fasting where you eat 75% of your calories? Is that how most people do it?

This just seems wrong.

(Duncan Kerridge) #2

Participants were randomized to 1 of 3 groups for 1 year: alternate-day fasting (25% of energy needs on fast days; 125% of energy needs on alternating “feast days”), calorie restriction (75% of energy needs every day), or a no-intervention control. The trial involved a 6-month weight-loss phase followed by a 6-month weight-maintenance phase.

So basically they weren’t really fasting on fasting days, and both groups ate the same amount of food overall.

(Georgia) #3

I know people who did the 5:2 diet, “fasting” for two non-consecutive days a week. They are women and were allowed 500 calories a day on the fasting days and ate their target calorie limit on the others.

Of course caloric restriction is going to work in the beginning. Always does… then always fails.

I would be interested to see what the BMR % change was. They are making broad sweeping generalizations, completely ignoring the damage caloric restriction does to the body and the benefits that fasting brings. Pieces like this just annoy me. Just another click-bait study to add to the general “common knowledge” noise.

I wonder who funded this study (and it’s conclusion).

(Griffin Mekelburg) #5

Blatant misinformation to keep the general masses blinded from the truth of how society has been set up to slowly kill them, this type of stuff makes me so angry. Generic clickbait title with no real evidence or support, problem is ITS THE NEW YORK TIMES, oy lmao

(Karl L) #6

Andrew Klavan (podcaster) refers to the NYT as a former newspaper.

(Arlene) #7

You hit the nail on the head!!! I wonder who owns the New York Times? Yep, this is highly suspect.