NYT story that's kinda positive about keto

(Liz Ellen) #1

I haven’t seen anyone post about this, so I thought I would mention: The New York Times wrote a story titled “What Is the Keto Diet and Does It Work?” that is pretty darn positive.

First, I was surprised to read in the lead that it was named in a recent survey of registered dietitians as “the most popular diet in the United States.” (No credit due to U.S. News & World Report.)

Yes, it overplays the fat consumption, but check this out:

The diet is hailed for dropping pounds, burning more calories, reducing hunger, managing diabetes, treating drug resistant epilepsy, improving blood pressure and lowering cholesterol, as well as triglycerides, the major storage form of fat in the body. People have reported improved concentration, too. “We see pretty dramatic benefits,” said Dr. William Yancy, director of the Duke Diet and Fitness Center.

and

Whichever eating plan one chooses for 2020, Dr. Hall said certain recommendations are nearly universal: cut down on refined carbs and ultra-processed foods, and consume more whole foods, particularly non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus and spinach.

It’s nice to see the Gray Lady writing a neutral to positive story on this WOE without resorting to the typical fear mongering.

(Cheryl Meyers) #2

I was glad the writer quoted Dr. Will Yancy (although they also quote Kevin Hall, blahblah). It is better than the usual pro-vegetarian stuff they have put in that section.