Nutrition Label Discrepencies

Hello,

So since starting Keto, I find that I read the nutrition labels on EVERYTHING. Well, everything that has one…

I find that different brands with the same ingredients and serving sizes sometimes have different nutrition facts values. I don’t have any specific examples at the moment as I am not at the store looking at them, but I have seen quite a few that fall into this category.

Does anyone know how it is possible for different brands of the exact same food, ingredients, and serving sizes could have variances in the nutrition facts values? Is it becasue one brand uses more of an ingredient than the other, which causes slight differences in the values?

Kratos

(Carl Keller) #2

In the US, the FDA gives a wide latitude in the accuracy of the calories listed on package labels. In virutally every study to verify calorie counts on labels via science, the labels always listed fewer calories than were counted in the lab.

So if companies are fudging calorie counts it’s to be epected that other nutrition info is also fudged or unreliable at best. It’s up to companies who make food products to figure out the nutritional info and they usually do so by using a standard nutrient database.

This is why I prefer to eat single item whole foods as much as possible. I can easily look up the info on cronometer and cronometer has no motive to lie to me.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Don’t eat things from packets, eat real food.

I agree! However, there are a few things that are unavoidable, such as Ranch dressing or Vinaigrette dressing. I found a Ken’s Steakhouse dressings that are super low in carbs and sugar and taste better than Kraft versions.

My question does leave it quite open for interpretation. Though I don’t buy and eat many foods that are processed (mainly just low carb meat sticks), I also notice that a package of mixed greens varies widely in nutrition facts between brands. Broccoli also is one I can think of that also varies widely.

This explains it quite well. It’s scary to think the governments are so naive and careless… But, then again who’s surprised? :smile:

(Carl Keller) #5

I’m “guilty” of buying some premade dressings even though I have the knowledge and ability to make my own. In this example, I would say if you round up or even add 20% to what the label says it has, then your total carb count for the day won’t be overly inflated with hidden carbs. In the case of dressings, this overestimation will generally be less than 1 or 2 carbs per serving. Better to overestimate than to trust the label, IMO.

(Bob M) #6

I also eat salsa sometimes. Just bought some this morning. Two varieties of fresh salsa, one said zero calories or carbs for two tablespoons and one said 5 calories and 1 gram carbs per two tablespoons. The second one is closer to the truth. And I wish they would give realistic portion sizes – who eats 2 tablespoons of salsa? It’s like a can of soda having multiple servings. It’s ludicrous.

Not unavoidable, you can make dressings really easily.

(Running from stupidity) #8

We’ve still got some from pre-keto, and we’re just working through them until they’re finished. Not perfect, but it won’t kill us, either.