NSV Converison cut insulin in half in one week

(Carolus Holman) #1

So, i was telling friend about Keto, it just came up when he told me I looked like i had lost weight, not really a guy thing to talk about. I knew he was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I told him about Keto, he seemed to know more than me about it! He was not on keto at this time. Fast forward 2 weeks. First thing he told me was that he went full keto, and has been for a week. I didnt know this but he needed insulin injected 2x per day, and takes 2000mg metformin. He monitors his sugars multiple times a day, he said he cut his insulin injections in half, as well as his meformin, his readings stayed the same! I asked if he talked to his Dr. and hadn’t. His blood sugar was too low using the meds 2x a day so he cut them in half, in one week. I have never heard of this, is this typical after a week? He was on quite a high dose, i think he should get a check up to make sure he doing the right thing. Ne seems fine, full of energy and has lost a few pounds.

(Doug) #2

A ketogenic diet results in lower average blood sugar, and less need for insulin. I do not know what is the normal time for an exact thing like cutting the insulin dosage in half, but less insulin is needed, immediately. Best case is that your friend can eventually stop insulin injections altogether, and perhaps reverse the diabetes itself.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

The 2ketodudes mention working with your dr. to cut down on your meds. Too low is dangerous when meds are involved. To be on the safe side he really should talk with his dr. If the dr. says stop the keto diet, he needs a new dr. who is current on diabetes research.

(Carolus Holman) #4

Yeah, he is maverick, he cut his own meds, seems to know what he is doing, but I still told him he should double check with Dr. because he is on inject-able insulin.