NSV? Cheat mindset shift

(Crippie) #1

Happy Halloween everyone!!!

Well let me get right into it. I have been very strict keto for about 4 months now(seems longer haha) Have lost about 50 pounds, and plateaued this last month, but continued to lose belt notches. But that is not what this post is about! I had somewhat of a NSV this morning, a change in mindset I guess. Let me explain.

When I first started keto back in July, my wife was very hesitant. I told her she didn’t have to do it with me but we both agreed it’d be easier to do it together. We finally came to a compromise. She gets 5 “cheat day” cards per year. She can pull these whenever she wants and that day is a “cheat day”. (i put cheat day in quotes, because this isn’t a diet anymore that we could cheat on, but rather a new way of eating). She has some of these known and reserved for days like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well… This morning I woke up to her holding one up in my face(yes I made her actual cards she has to pull out haha). She decided she wanted family over with “real” pizza and Halloween candy.

Now here is the thing, we agreed that when a card is pulled we both are on a cheat day. Sort of a stipulation against feeling bad about cheating, we both do it together(she would feel horrible eating carbs in front of me, even though I dont really care anymore)

Well here is the NSV for me. When we first started, I was excited about the idea of a cheat day, but now after 4 months and she finally pulled one, all I can do is think “ok how can I avoid this as much as possible!” Haha! Totally opposite mindset than what I used to think itd be. So luckily its a workday! I can pretty much avoid it all until dinner tonight, where I will probably consume a single piece of normal pizza, and a few choice pieces of candy, then tomorrow right back into a fast.

I know I wont be keto today even off the small amount that i plan to have in the evening, who knows, maybe cycling out of ketosis will kick the scale back into a downhill direction. Either way, won’t let tonight derange me, and will be back to KCKO in the morning.

Its amazing how much our minds change with our bodies once those addictions fade! 3 months ago if this happened I would be going to get donuts, then a burger for lunch, and a pizza for dinner, maximizing what I could get into a day. Now I am here months later trying to minimize it, with a fast until dinner, then as small amount as I can followed by a fast.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I like that you both are into this plan.

I love that you have your current mind set. I think you have a good plan, eat what you want while away from home. Have a single slice, with some candies, and right back into fasting mode. You are fat adapted now, so this probably won’t even be a blip on the scale for you. Well thought out plan.

Let us know how it works out.

Happy Halloween!

This is terrific!

Also re this:

I think we need to coin a new phrase, since losing belt notches definitely means that you’re not in a plateau (unless your goal has nothing to do with size or body comp - or health, for that matter, since it’s likely visceral and not just subcutaneous fat that you lost).

Congrats on your success so far!

You might be pleasantly surprised to find that you’re still in ketosis and your weight may go down. Let us know tomorrow.
Good Luck!

(Crippie) #5

UPDATE and Lessons Learned!

Well, its the day after Halloween, and I wanted to update everyone with what I learned.

Lesson 1.) Even the best plans can get broken. As I said above I had a plan to minimize “carb exposure” well, that got thrown under the bus when my boss let us out of work at 12:00 to let people have fun on Halloween. Sooooo my wife wanted to have lunch together!!! I just decided to embrace the day and we kind of went hog wild. Had our favorite old burger place for lunch with BBQ sauce and onion rings and all that jazz. Then we had tons of candy with Halloween, and actually burgers for dinner again (we planned on pizza, but I guess so did the whole city because the wait time at every pizza place was over 2 hours). So yea, it was definitely a cheat day, i checked my blood glucose after one meal and saw it hit up at 7.2 mmol, when normally its around 4.8.

Lesson 2.) Carbs do not taste as good as I remember. We went to all these places I used to love and missed, and on every single item without fail I was disappointed. It is good I guess, makes me miss them less now that I know they are not very good anyway. But was weird to actually experience it, like it legit tasted different than I remember

So now the “results”. Scale actually didn’t move much at all, like 0.5-1.0 pound, but what baffled me was the BF% it read. I know those things are garbage, but it still has been a fairly consistent number around 34%, this morning it wouldn’t read below 41%, must be water retention or something, idk. I had planned to fast coming out of it, but the carbs have made my hunger pretty ravenous(I dont miss this) so bacon and egg’s, and bulletproof coffee are my friends for now. But my stomach wasn’t happy with me this morning, had a few bowel movements that were a very not normal consistency, TMI I know.

Overall i think it was a good learning experience, glad I did it, but even more glad to be back on the keto train today. All carbs are out of the house and cruising along.(The last trick or treater we had was VERY happy to get the entire bowl poured into his bag)