NSV-blood sugar

(kimberlynwebb) #1

As most of you know, I have been testing my blood sugar and eating, or trying to, according to my levels. I’ve not been diagnosed diabetic or pre-diabetic, but I have a strong family history of it, and I had diabetes while pregnant with both of my children. When I started testing my sugar, I consistently ran in the upper 200s, even into the 300s. Not one to take it laying down I started researching. I came across keto, and thought “what do I have to lose?” So I started. I started small. I started with cutting out one serving of carbs a day. Then I cut down on sweet treats. And I kept reading. And I looked at my kids and tried to imagine telling them I was going to have an amputation, or dialysis, or I would never get to see them again because I was blind, or worse. And I kept going. And it sucked, and I cried in the shower because I wanted bread, but I wanted to live guys. I wanted to fight for my health, and you know what’s better than bread? Looking at my babies. Wiggling my toes. Kidneys that work. A heart that beats. Blood pressure that’s normal. I didn’t go into this knowing a darn thing. I only knew I was a fighter. And I wasn’t going to be passive in my health. Research your conditions. Talk with your Dr. Then dig your heels in and get to work. You get one chance at life friends. Make it count. We are here to help. Love all of your support. This is after eating lunch today, blood sugar 115. After a meal. You can do it. Stumble, fall, but never stop.

Awesome. Well done you. x

And what an amazing role model you are for your kids as well as other people. Respect.

(Michelle) #3

:clap: Great story, bravo!!! So happy for you.

Winners are not people that never fail, but people who never quit!!! Never give up.

(Cathy Schroder) #4

Fabulous attitude and a great achievement! Well done you!!

(Becky Searls) #5

Just got home on Tuesday night from 20+ days in Europe. I was wary of stepping on the scale as I was not always super strict with my keto…

…for anyone who has wondered - the claims that keto will manage/maintain your weight even through an extended discretion are true! (If you’re wondering, I have heard mention of such things on the “fasting talk” podcast, usually references from Megan Ramos from her experiences in the IDM - intensive dietary management- clinic, or her own personal experiences living it up on her extended honeymoon)

I LOST 1.5 lb after 20+ days of (sometimes not keto) feasting in europe! :flushed: NSV for sure! :raised_hands: Now, I’m sure some of this is decomposition from muscle into fat so I’m back on the horse as an abstainer big time–seeking accountability actually–and even doing a 10 day fast now in the spirit of a real-life feast and famine imitation (which you can follow over here if interested:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/abstainer-moderator-accountability-group/9255/17

I am pretty excited that this WOE truly appears to be sustainable across a variety of experiences, including extended travel!