Not very knowledgeable and concerned by this. Thoughts?

(Bruce) #1

https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/05/19/low-carb-diets-and-coronary-blood-flow/
This seems to show evidence of ‘issues’, is, low carb diets causing low cardiac blood flow.
Any thoughts or comebacks?

(Sheri Knauer) #2

First thing is the article was written by Dr Gregor, who is a vegan. He sites a study in the article done by Dr Richard Fleming, also a vegan. So they will write anything that makes any diet, other than a vegan diet, is going to kill you.

(Bruce) #3

I understand this, but are you saying the results of the study have been fabricated?

(Sheri Knauer) #4

Im not saying the results were fabricated but it just states that some of the test subjects jumped ship to a low carb diet. What exactly did these low carb diets look like? They in no way outline exactly what these low carbers were eating. They could have been eating a lot of junk and processed food while keeping carbs sort of low, but lower than a typical high carb or vegan diet

(Bruce) #5

True. I was wondering if anyone had come across this before and looked into it to examine the validity of the study.

(GINA ) #6

The ‘study’ they cite isn’t a study at all. Dr. Fleming put 26 people on “a healthy vegetarian diet” but a year later 10 of them had “jumped ship onto the low carb bandwagon” (there’s a mixed metaphor for ya). Then he measured the outcomes.

First, 40% of his subjects didn’t maintain the prescribed diet, but he didn’t know about it for a year. Why? Why not?

What was the exact ‘low carb’ diet they went to? Were all 10 on the same diet by the end? Was it 100 carbs, 10 carbs, 50? Was it higher in fat, what kind of fat? Seed oils, trans fats? How long had they been on it? Were there any interim measurements taken?

Maybe those 10 people had far worse heart health on the vegetarian diet, felt awful, switched, and were on their way to improvement. We have no way of knowing.

(bulkbiker) #7

Why bother to read this junk?

(Bruce) #8

Thanks for the insight.

(Bruce) #9

Why read it? It popped up and I had a look. I’m curious.

(Laurie) #10

Unsurprisingly, I see some discrepancies between the abstract
( https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/000331970005101003 ) and the NutritionFacts summary. If you really want to know about the study and the findings, I guess you have to pay $40 to read the actual report–unless you can get free access through your employer or library.

(Bruce) #11

Thanks!

(Bruce) #12

Found a link. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Prof_RM_Fleming/publication/12220443_The_Effect_of_High-Protein_Diets_on_Coronary_Blood_Flow/links/58d977aaaca272d801d4ff8d/The-Effect-of-High-Protein-Diets-on-Coronary-Blood-Flow.pdf

(Bruce) #13

I think you can safely say the article was indeed fabricated because it in no way represents the paper which was a bit vague anyway.
Thanks.

(Running from stupidity) #14

First line of the Abstract.

Low-carbohydrate diets have become increasingly popular for weight loss. Although they may improve some metabolic markers, particularly in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D) or the metabolic syndrome (MS), their net effect on arterial wall function remains unclear.

First par of the “article” is all about cholesterol (this is an obvious warning sign).

Second says this:

Now we have studies that measure the impact of low carb diets on arteries directly, and a review of all the best studies to date found that low-carb diets impair arterial function, as evidenced by a decrease in flow-mediated dilation, meaning low-carb diets effectively stiffen people’s arteries.

Does that look like it’s honestly reporting the study?