Not technically food. Body butter

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

So it’s winter here in Michigan. My hands are doing this:

It’s not pretty. Or comfortable.

But behold, the power of Tallow! I present whipped tallow body butter. This stuff is a-freaking-mazing.

A little goes a long way. It does not burn going on my chapped hands like coconut oil tends to. It has staying power, even after hand washing. My life is better now.

It’s pretty basic:
1 cup beef tallow, melted
2T olive oil
A couple drops Essential oil if desired

-Combine your oils and let solidify (I put in fridge for about 20 min)
-whip it up! A Kitchenaid mixer is very helpful for this step.

Original recipe credit here:

Coconut oil, cracked skin & allergies?
(Julie Pegler) #2

Does it smell like meat at all?

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

No, not really. I added some lavender and frankincense essential oils, that hides any scent of tallow.

(Tom Seest) #4

Any idea if this would work as “Butt Butter” for a cyclist? I have to buy it by the tube now. If you google it, you’ll see that it is quite expensive.

I saw a post like this with coconut oil. I must try. I guess whipping it just gets air in? It is a pain when you have old that stay hard because it is cold - they were saying this was a great way too be able to use all the time.

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

Is that similar to Body Glide? If it is I think the primary ingredient is simethicone, so it creates more of a coating to help reduce friction, so I’m not sure this would work the same. It is a bit greasy at first but then soaks in, but it does leave a little layer of oiliness. But, (butt?) I would say it would be worth trying.

(Tom Seest) #7

This is the brand that I currently use on really long rides. I don’t think that it has the best list of ingredients but it works:

https://chamoisbuttr.com/

(Terri) #8

Man, I hate getting monkey butt!

(Terri) #9

I am making my version of body butter–shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, avocado oil. Great healthy moisturizer. Will have to try the tallow body butter!

(AnnaLeeThal) #10

Cool! I feel like I need all the moisture I can get these days.

(Guardian of the bacon) #11

I’ve not had dry skin issues yet this winter. I think my skin is self lubricating from the inside out with bacon grease.

(Terri) #12

Lol, @jfricke! I consume a lot of coconut oil and have thought a similar thought!

(melinda) #13

Simethicone or however you spell it is the first ingredient in gas-x. They make it in liquid for babies. Maybe add that to the body butter and see what happens?

(AnnaLeeThal) #14

You know, I was mistaken. I think it’s Dimethicone!!

(Jennie) #15

Brilliant. I’ve been searching and searching for something to help my skin during winter. Between intense cold and doing dishes all the time, my hands get raw and cracked and miserable. I’m trying this. Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

(AnnaLeeThal) #16

I feel ya! It’s having my hands in water constantly plus the cold that gets to me BAD. This is literally the best thing I’ve tried, and believe me I’ve tried it all.

(Jodi) #17

Thanks for this! We got half a beef from the processor and they gave me all the good suet from around the kidneys. When I’m done processing the tallow I will have about 10 quarts, so I think I’ll try this with some of it.:slight_smile:

(AnnaLeeThal) #18

You will not regret it!

(Tom) #19

Likely dimethicone. We used several dimethicone products back when I worked in a chronic wound healing center.

For those looking for a source of dimethicone, some lotion formulation sites offer it in bulk. Three bucks will get you about as many ounces, and to my recollection most of the “use this for the sickest, most excoriated skin” products didn’t have more than 4% dimethicone, so three ounces would last for quite a while.

I use a technique similar to the one on this website to make a semi-solid lotion. I omit the beeswax and use a combination of coconut oil, cocoa butter and shea butter. https://wellnessmama.com/4770/lotion-bars/