Not Sure What I'm Doing Wrong

(Angela Henry) #1

Hi all. I’m a newbie here and not even sure I am posting this right :-). I started Keto/IF mid-July and have been staying in my macros per carb manager app that I am using. I have lost 10 pounds, but when I am taking my blood keto levels, it is usually .4 which I understand is light nutritional ketosis. I am typically staying between 15-20 net carbs a day and am in the right range for fat (93 per day) and protein (75 per day). If I go over anything, it is usually in the fat per day area. I am trying to do clean keto eating with walnuts, MCT oil, and avocado for my fat intake and lean meats for protein. I feel I should be in the 1.5-3.0 range and just don’t know what to do or what I might be doing wrong.

IF schedule is: eat at noon until 8 pm and then fast. Calories are usually between 11100-1400 calories per day. If I cheat at all, it is once a week with a small dessert and then I fast longer the next day and eat a high-fat meal when I break my fast.

I do have Hashimoto’s Disease and am not sure if I have to do things differently because of this, but am getting discouraged. If anyone has any ideas on how to get into the 1.5-3.0 range for blood glucose please let me know.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

There are others here with Hashimoto and I’m sure they will have useful and more specific advice for you.

All I want to say is I don’t think you’re doing anything particularly ‘wrong’ except obsessing over your blood meter readings. My advice is put the meter back in the box it came in, put it on the top shelf of your clothes closet, pile lots of stuff on top and in front of it, and forget about it for the next six months.

Stay sub-20 grams of carbs per day, stop your weekly ‘cheat dessert’. It’s not worth it. When you want a treat eat bacon bits. Be careful with the walnuts, they have significant carbs. You’ll be OK. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Angela Henry) #3

I have been obsessing about the meter- bhhhhaaahhh. Thank you for that advice~

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

First, I assume you mean ketones…
Second, don’t stress on the readings.

You might have to play around with your macros to see what works best.

IMHO You should go with fatty cuts off meat, no reason to go lean. Cut out the “cheats” as you put it, and don’t snack.

Are you using an app to track your macros?
What are your goals? Height? Weight?

(Chris) #5

Perhaps try swapping the oils for fatty meat instead.

(Jill F.) #6

I think if you have lost 10 pounds that is amazing! I agree to drop the cheat dessert, I was very strict keto for 6 months and it worked great for me. Now when I try to eat a dessert I feel horrible. Lol
I would not only put the blood monitor back in the box, I would throw it in the trash or donate it. I never did pee strips or blood monitors at all and I lost 42 pounds and almost 40 inches in 6 months just modifying my diet and very minimal exercise.
Weight loss is not linear, there were weeks I lost size and no pounds, weeks where I lost pounds and not size. I was overweight for YEARS and did not expect to lose it overnight, and you shouldn’t either. Think of this as a long term repair project for your body and not a diet or a quick fix.
Welcome to the forum!

(Liz) #7

Hi and welcome! My best advice is just as already posted, you are doing great, try to up the fats and keep carbs as low as you can.
Perhaps search using Hashimoto’s here as well…there are others here like you who have still had great success with keto and will be happy to help.
You are already on the way, try not to look at the numbers, they will get better as you continue on. This is not easy advice and took me ages to stop monitoring…but…the weight loss has continued, slow and steady as my body heals. Rely on how you feel and learn to trust your appetite, it works :+1::handshake:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

As others have posted, you are not doing anything particularly wrong. You have to be producing ketones, because you are (a) eating very little carbohydrate and (b) alive, so your level of serum β-hydroxybutyrate might possibly indicate that your body is consuming most of what your liver is producing, not that your supply is inadequate.

But specific tweaks you might try are the following: First, bring your total carbohydrate intake under 20 g/day. Your level of insulin resistance might be great enough that 20 g net is just a bit too much. It happens.

Second, although MCT oil is fine as a supplement, you might want to concentrate on getting your fats from food. Cook with butter, tallow, lard, bacon grease, and/or coconut oil, and avoid the commercial vegetable oils, which are too rich in ω-6 fatty acids (they are essential to the diet, but too much of them causes systemic inflammation—not usually good for the body). You don’t need lean cuts of meat, either. Instead, embrace the fattier cuts, and eat your chicken with the skin on. Not only is it tastier, but the fat is healthier.

Third, we strongly recommend not eating to a predetermined calorie target, which can have unwanted effects on the metabolism. Most people’s bodies can be trusted to guide them to how much to eat. Eat to satiety, instead of to a caloric target. Eat only when hungry, stop eating when you stop being hungry. The result will be a level of intake that meets the body’s energy needs, but that will also allow it to shed any excess fat you may have stored.

Fourth and last, don’t obsess over your scale measurement. People have been known to put on muscle and increase their bone density at the same time as they shed fat, and this confuses our scales. Be sure to keep track of your measurements, as well as your weight.

(Edith) #9

Ten pounds in a month is great progress. Congratulations! To up you ketones which may not be as important as you think you may need to use 20g of total carbs and not net carbs and decrease your protein a bit.

The only time I have slightly higher ketones (mine are usually around 0.4 mmol/L in the mornings) is if I keep my protein fairly low, such as the 50-60 gram range. But, then I get hungry more often.

You’re still pretty new. It takes time to figure out what works for you and then you will still need to
tweak things over time:

(Susan) #10

Welcome to the forum, Angela =).

I agree with @MommyJill2005 -I have lost 45 pounds since February and still have a long way to go, but I have never used any strips or monitors.

I just eat less then 20 grams of carbs a day, no sugars or any sugar substitutes, enough healthy fats, proteins and enough calories! I found out the hard way if I was not eating enough, it stalled me and I didn’t lose any weight. I don’t do any cheats ever, and no nuts, or sugar substitutes, no treats. I have a lot to lose so am keeping it strict. Good luck with your goals, and if you have any more questions, just ask us =).

(Rachel) #11

Hi

I have Hashimotos and an underactive thyroid.

Have you had you thyroid tested?

I started off first with Hashimotos first, then my thyroid started to affected, so I’m on thyroid medication now.

It’s important your doctor tests TSH, T3 & T4.

Best wishes