Not so great NSV

(Greg) #1

I am all for NSVs. The scale lies. Period.

That being said, I was walking through Costco today with my wife and hear a clinging sound. I look down and my solid gold wedding ring is bouncing on the concrete floor. It has been slipping off quite a bit lately, but this is the first time that it has happened without being soapy or in the middle of some sort of activity.

So there you go. People talk about waist size NSVs, or clothing size NSVs. Keto has caused me to apparently change ring sizes!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2

Good thing you were somewhere with a loud floor!

(Susan) #3

Yesss -I agree!

It is terrific you have lost so much weight, congrats! I agree with Ruina though about hearing it drop. That would have been sad if you had of lost it. If you are at Maintenance or close to it; it might be a good idea to take it to a Jewellers and get it sized. Either wise you can wear an attachment on it that makes it not fall off

My wedding ring is way too small and been in the safety deposit box for 28 years! I bought a band with 3 small diamonds in it when I was pregnant with our first son (who will be 28 this month) and it is also too small (and I cannot find where I put it, eeek) I have been wearing a fake band and fake diamond set I bought online for a few dollars as the replacement that I have been wearing for the past few years. .

(Failed) #4

Congrats on your weight loss. :+1:t2:

My wedding band has been very loose as well. I got a set of [ring sizers at Amazon].(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0OX3EW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) They are intended for a narrower band than I have, but I just straightened one and wrapped it around the back of my ring.

(Marianne) #5

Good for you! Glad you didn’t lose your ring.

For over ten years now, I have only worn my wedding band - and the only reason is that I had to have it sized up back then. Didn’t want to do that to my engagement ring (which I used to wear as my engagement ring and my wedding band after we got married and before I gained all my weight back again), and just hoped some day I would fit into it. Just tried it on the other day and it fit! It went on easily enough but it is still too small to wear all of the time if my fingers swell from exercise, weather, water retention, etc. Eight months ago, I wasn’t been able to get it past my knuckle - no way - just not possible. Looking forward to the day when I can swap out my current ring for the wedding ring that is most meaningful to me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Yea, rings can get really loose for a while, but water retention can keep them secure again. There have been threads here mostly women with the issue. Was surprised to see a guy talking about this issue.

You can look into a permanent resizing when you reach your goal, but the ones DeeCS posted above are good for a temporary fix. I use those because some days they still fit perfectly well and they are not needed.

It is a nice NSV, and good thing you heard it hitting the floor.

Congratulations! I’ve had a similar problem. Annoying, but good.

(less is more, more or less) #8

What a hoot. I can relate.

On every previous weight loss, where I experienced a loss of over 50 pounds, on high-carb, calorie restriction diets, my fingers would reduce their circumference. I’d find my cherished band sliding off.

In my first six months of low-carb, I was not surprised this happening again. However, something very cool happened a few months afterward. My ring-finger’s circumference has returned to its original width of 25 years ago. Just like the rest of me. Yea, I am that old, and my wife and I just celebrated, too, with a foodie trip to Charleston, and I lost 3 pounds by the end of the week of low-carb munching.

So many low-carb victories.