Not seeing results

I have been doing keto for about 6 weeks. Previous to that i did low calorie for about a month. In my hourney i have noticed that i am not really losing any weight. I track my food and i exercise but have only lost 4 lbs. Im starting to get a bit discouraged because im giving this diet all of my effort, but have yet to see any noticeable results…HELP PLZ

(James storie) #2

First of all, are you counting calories or limiting fat grams? If so, stop! All you need to worry about is keeping carbs under 20 net grams and scale protein for your lean body mass. Eat fat to satiety, in other words eat fatty foods until you are full! You have to also realize that it takes time for your body to heal and become fat adapted. The more restrictive you’ve been in the past, the longer it will take. Just relax and enjoy the journey! KCKO!

(Siobhan) #3

Giving us a quick recap of your situation may help us figure out if there are any problem areas in what you’re doing.
Let’s start with this:

Going by your name, I’m guessing you’re a woman?

• How old are you?
  • Are you on any medications?
  • Health issues like diabetes or inflammatory conditions?
  • What’s a normal day of eating keto for you look like? Any cheating? What are your macros (in grams, if you track)?
  • Are you experiencing any NSVs (non-scale victories) like lessened joint pain, less tiredness, glowing skin, less hungry, etc?
  • Are you testing ketone levels or blood glucose? With what?
  • Are you counting calories? How much are you eating? (not promoting calorie counting but not eating enough can cause issues)
  • Are you only weighing, or do you have starting measurements (waist, hips, underbust, arms, etc) as well?
    That aside, you’re only 6 weeks in. To become fat adapted, it can take some people 2 months (while others can become fat adapted quicker, or slower!)
    The most likely response needed is “Keep Calm and Keto On!” It took me quite a while to become fat adapted (I think 2 months) and I experienced PISS (Post-introductory-stall-syndrome) where you lose water weight then stall.
    The other thing is that when you go keto you’re not only losing weight/fat. Hormones changes will occur (regulation), inflammation will begin to reverse, more nutrition is spared for skin and hair improvement and healing any damage caused by SAD, bones are strengthened, lean body mass is sometimes improved, etc

Hopefully though, if there are any issues we can identify them now so you can just continue keto’ing on.

Im counting carbs fat and protein…i was doing low calorie before keto

Im 37 no health issues. I am less hungry, even though i have been doing intermittent fasting for over 6 months. I dont test jus weigh and my clothes are firting me thensame

(James storie) #6

But are you still in that restrictive state of mind? I wouldn’t count fat at all. Lots of people new to this WOE make the mistake of treating keto like any other diet. It doesn’t work that way. I have no doubt you’re doing everything right, but maybe you’re too stressed about it?

(Siobhan) #7

Okay, one issue is that the scale is often a dirty rotten liar. One thing that happens is you may be burning fat, but water fills the fat cells (I believe in case they need to be refilled with fat immediately but I’m not sure) which means you weigh the same, even though you’re smaller. This can be seen by measuring inches/cm but not weighing.

Just in case, can you share what a normal day of eating is like for you? Including snacks, if you eat any
That often helps pinpoint problems if there are any.

Also yes! Pictures! Definitely. Comparing a picture of me from when I started to a month later I saw a huge difference in lessened puffiness of the face. I now make sure I take progress pics often, because sometimes my weight will stall but my face will get thinner, or inches will go down.

(Elise Talbot) #8

Have you tried intermittent fasting? There are so many resources & it really helps your body get into a fat burning state. Also, some folks don’t see the scale move right away, so taking before & after pics are a great benefit until that silly scale busts a move! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m a slow loser, so I know what you’re going through! Hang in there!

I do cheat at times…generally jus 1 dove dark chocolate maybe 2xs a week. Today my macros are 16 carb 77g fat 56 protein

(Siobhan) #10

You may want to switch to 80% dark chocolate or above. I believe from what I’ve seen dove’s dark chocolate still tends to be pretty sugary.
What I’m really curious about is what you’re eating day-to-day as that is the crux of keto in itself (it’s a day to day type of thing).

Even just outlining what you had today would help us figure out how you’re doing so far

I drink coffee with heavy cream or half n half and stevia. lunch: Tuna with romaine olives cucs and balsamic vinaigrette. Dinner: protein with broccoli snacks: Celery with natural pb/a few pieces of jerky/handfull of almonds/ or a handful of pork skins at least 2 liters of water

Yes i have been doing 16-8 for months now

No. I eat what is on my list until feel full. Sometimes i dont even get hungry at all and have to make myself eat a snack

Seems like those 4 lbs only came from my face and neck lol. I did take beginning pics, i still dont see the change

(Siobhan) #15

I’d cut the half n half entirely, and stick with heavy cream - just a heads up!

I wouldn’t suggest eating if you’re not hungry. Your body knows how to signal if it wants more food - and plenty of people find a decrease in appetite at the beginning, which slowly resolves itself.
It’s also generally not recommended to eat snacks, because (regardless of who you are) it will spike insulin, which is undesirable between meals.

Also, I saw a lot of difference in my face/neck at the beginning too - I think it has a lot to do with reducing in inflammation (which is good!).
Could it be you don’t have a lot to lose in the first place? A lot of people start keto to lose weight, when they really want to lose some weight that they maybe don’t necessarily need to lose in the first place, but then they stick around for NSVs like less inflammation or improved mood. Just wondering!

No i def need to lose weight. Im 240lbs. I do feel so things like i have insomniaover the last 2 weeks i have actually been able to go to bed early and aleep through the night

(James storie) #17

What is this list? Dr Eric Westman has a pretty good list of foods for the beginner, I’ll try and give a link http://www.nutritionequation.org/how-to/no-sugar-no-starch-diet-getting-started/
Hopefully that worked. From the food you listed above, it looks to me that you need to eat more fat. But that’s just my opinion. And be careful with the half n half and balsamic vinaigrette, they have a lot more carbs than heavy cream and homemade dressings. And there is no need to snack if you aren’t hungry.

I have trained myself to read labels, half and half knly has 1g of carbs and the vinaigrette only has 2g

(Siobhan) #19

Sounds like you do have some great NSVs already.
I’ll echo what @jamestorie said and say watch for sneaking carbs (though it sounds like you are tracking everything and are okay in that regard) and don’t snack if you aren’t hungry, and perhaps even add more fat at meals (if you need suggestions feel free to ask and we will provide). I saw a thread earlier regarding a breastfeeding mom who added more fat to her diet and continued to lose… and promptly put the scale away.
Other than that it sounds like if you KCKO you will be golden and are already making progress even if it doesn’t want to show on the scale just yet! How you feel is just as, if not more important than the scale even if having a number move can be rather exciting.

Thanks and i will def ask. Im also a cook so will post meal ideas as i make them. I really appreciate groups like this with like minded ppl. Talking to my friends about it just wasnt cutting it. I dont like being a quitter and needed some reassurance that i was on the right path…thanks a bunch. This def made me feel better.