Not-pork-rinds! Bread crumbs alternatives for those who don't like pork rinds

foodies
notporkrinds
breading

I don’t like the way pork rinds smell, and finding humanely raised pork rinds is also a challenge!

Thought I’d share my recent research on the bread crumbs alternatives subject, in case helpful for anyone:

These work out to be as pricey as humanely raised pork rinds per pound - and I’m thinking of trying them, as they are ready-to-go and I don’t really like pork rinds to begin with (but it’s also gotten me thinking about making my own, using almond flour plus spices):

Another alternative is shredded Parmesan, which low carb chef George Stella uses for coating lots of dishes. Organic parmesan is usually very pricey - but I did find a good deal here which works out be 69 cents per ounce and with Parmesan, a little goes a long way:

If anyone has been successful mixing ground almonds/pecans with Parmesan, I’d love to hear about it!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

A good trick for deodorising pork rinds is to crush them, put in a bowl in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Somehow it removes the odor. Magic :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks for the tip, I’m sure it’ll help someone!

Personally I don’t like the odor in any way in my kitchen - and don’t like knowing that such a rankness is in the source.

Boar taint after cooking pig can be prevented by cooking it with a slice or two of fresh Ginger (which is how I cook bacon, and it’s amazing) - but the smell of simply opening bag of pork rinds is stinky in a bad way to me. I tried to like them, I really did, lolol.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

If you make your own breading I have read that whole almond meal is better than almond flour, and it’s usually cheaper I think and less processed. That breading looks very costly at $28 a pound. I almost never bread anything since going keto, it can suck up lots of oil. I tend to cook simpler most of the time. I hope you find a workable substitute. :cowboy_hat_face:

Hmm - that makes sense, as whole almond meal would have more crunchy almond skin, will keep that in mind.

Yes, costly up front - though if one uses just a few tablespoons, a pound goes a long way. Humanely raised pork rinds like Epic brand are about $1.50 per ounce, so about $4 cheaper per pound IF one likes pork rinds that is. However, I don’t!

This reminds me, in my first season of keto, I did try using coconut flour for breading chicken - but it just burned or got too dark brown, and also didn’t stick to the chicken even though I’d used an egg dip. And that’s what made me try pork rinds, and to dislike them…

But now that organic Parmesan is more readiy available in bulk, hope is on the horizon. :rainbow:

(Troy) #7

Maybe finely chopped ( riced ) cauliflower?
Then mix with the Parmesan
The moisture “might” help with the binding from the cauliflower

(Liz Ellen) #8

Yeah, I have to hold my nose every time I open a bag and breathe out of my mouth when I eat them. The struggle is real.

Hmmm… maybe! It would be interesting to see if the cauli would hold on!

FOR SURE, t’is.

(Wendy) #11

The parmesian crisps work nicely for a breading. That is what we used for the parmesian chicken. Really tasty!
They’re not organic but Aldi’s is now carrying them.

Those crisps are super easy to make if you’re wanting to do some price comparison on the shredded parmesan or a wedge of it.

Put them on a parchment lined baking sheet and throw in a preheated oven until they’re brown. Best I remember dial it in for 350.

Plus you can always add seasonings to the crisps.

(Wendy) #13

I figured but they are convenient and at Aldi’s pretty reasonable.
I Do want to try some cheddar ones. Do they turn out crispy or are they too fatty?

@Happyheart Yes, and you can cool the cheddar crisps on a spoon and you can have a “hard taco shell.”

You can make a soft wrap with mozzarella if you want to wrap up some pepperoni, salami, and prosciutto with a dab of pesto.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

Pork rinds: yech. Bacon bits: yum yum! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think the name “Not-Pork-Rinds” would be great for any non-pig keto breadcrumbs substitute :thinking:

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

Haven’t tried mixing the Cello parma with nuts, but I love that stuff, toss it on salads, I bread somethings in just that, squash slices, etc.

I do use a hand grinder on nuts to get something to use for topping fish from time to time.

I could see adding those two together, would be tasty for sure.

Mmmm yummy! Until I found that Cello, the organic parmesan in the grocery store costs $6 for a couple ounces and that’s held me back from experimenting much. That’s about to change :heart_eyes: