Not new to Keto- high sugar, high keytones

(holly) #1

I have been on keto for approximately 2 years. I had a weekend in Feb that i slipped off but have been fairly diligent since. I am experiencing high blood sugars, around 100-fasting and not. I am also experiencing high keynotes. Anywhere from 1-2.5. Can anyone explain this one to me?

I also experience this after any cardio.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

If “100-fasting and not” means 100 mg/dL, that is within the normal range not high. Maybe higher for you? Also, if “1-2.5” ketones means 1-2.5 mmol/L that is within the normal range as well, not high. Maybe higher for you?

As I documented here even in ketosis, gluconeogenesis maintains ‘normal’ glucose levels although in my case on the mid-lower range:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Those levels seem perfectly normal to me.

(holly) #4

It is normal for someone on a normal carb diet, but is it normal for someone else? If my body is dumping glucose during cardio, it seems logically that my body is confused about the energy source. Seems odd to have “higher” glucose and keynotes at the same time.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: read my continuous glucose monitor experiment which I linked above. Your numbers are not high for either glucose or ketones. Gluconeogenesis and ketogenesis are marvelous and mysterious processes. They synthesize what you need. As long as you don’t mess up the process by eating sugar (aka carbs) you’re fine.