Not much to any progress- Week 7

(Caitlin) #1

Hi Guys,
My name is Caitlin, and I’m in some need for advice. I’ve been on the Ketogenic Diet for 6 weeks now, and I haven’t seen much improvements. When I first started, I went through keto flu then I felt great, after two weeks, my energy went up and down. I never felt hungry, nor an appetite when I ate, and I would constantly wake up in the middle of the night, but now I can sleep alittle better. Right now, being in week 7 as we speak, I still don’t have massive energy like people do, my energy is stable, content. I’m never really hungry, and I intermit fast as well. I keep my ratios almost the same everyday which is 5-6% carb, (18g total), 20-25% protein and 75%+ fats. I don’t cheat, I run almost everyday, and I feel and look the same. Basically, what I don’t understand is why I’m not losing any weight? My old clothes aren’t loose on me yet, like others and it’s very hard to feel discouraged. I need some advice if anyone has an idea. I think it’s bc I am very tiny. I am 4’11, starting weight was 104 (now 101.3) should I keep waiting? I really enjoy this diet. Any comments are welcomed, thank you.

(Griffin Mekelburg) #2

Just things that helped me burn the day off we’re adding MCT oil to my foods and doing fasts, even just IF. I’m currently in middle of a 3 day fast and can feel myself kicking back into fat adaption after a “fall off the wagon” month lol. Those may help you, and I’m sure a plethora more of info is incoming lol. It also sometimes just takes a bit. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

(What The Fast?!) #3

What is your goal? 101 seems right on track for your height.

(David) #4

I am with you on many points. I am 10 weeks in. My weight has been stable for a couple of weeks, even with exercise and no cheat days etc.

I had little appetite for a while and have energy fluctuations over the course of the day.

My hope is that changes are happening inside that I cannot see. Some healing maybe, some muscle replacing fat. I take the view that this will take a lot of time. I kept a journal before I started keto, and man, was my mind in a different place then. I can’t consciously remember it, but I can’t argue with my own diary.

I will stick with this way if eating to avoid going back there. I am convinced my former diet did a lot of bad things to me. I hope you find some of the good things keto is doing for you to sustain you through these early weeks and months.

(Caitlin) #5

My goal would be maybe 96? Because I’m tiny but I still have fat on my legs and lower stomach that I wish would slim down. I’m not sure if the process is going slow because I don’t have much to loose? Either way, thank you for replying! @KetoLikeaLady

(Caitlin) #6

Thank you very much for the reply and advice! I’m on my third day of fasting! I fast for around 16-18 hours then I eat. So I start around 10-3 or 4 sometimes. May I ask where you purchased your MCT oil? Thank you again!! :slight_smile: @ReaperScoob

(Caitlin) #7

Yes thank you for replying, that is exactly how I am feeling. May I ask your starting weight? Maybe our previous diet wasn’t too good for us, so the healing is taking longer like you had said. I truly hope it gets better because it’s hard not getting discouraged when everyone else who’s on keto is doing much better. I hope it works out for you, stay with it and hang in there! @Chance

(David) #8

I am male and 6’. I started out at 203lbs on 12 March. I lost weight quickly initially and am currently 186lbs. I have been at this weight for three weeks nearly. I still want to lose another 13lbs but I am thinking it will not be fast.

(Caitlin) #9

Wow that is such a great accomplishment! Congratulations on that! That’s great news, I think it might take alittle slower since you’ve lost a lot. But I would hang in there, you will get there!

(Bart) #10

Losing the last little bit of weight can be tough. In my humble opinion I think you should stay the course. Stick with your program for a while longer. Let your body finish making all the the hormonal adjustments that occur when you start eating this way.

I highly recommend you look at a marker other than weight, like body fat. You will gain muscle mass on the keto diet, especially if you are running a lot. So the scale will not be your friend. Also the running you are doing is not going to do much of anything when it comes to shedding fat. Losing fat is pretty much all based on diet. Do not get me wrong, keep running it does amazing things for your body. Exercise is incredibly good for you, it just very very little to do with fat loss. Do not listen to people if they tell you that you are already the weight you should be etc. They have no idea what your body composition is and they do not have live with your body. It is your body, your temple and only you have to be happy with it. So work towards your goals until you are happy and ignore those who may tell you different.

I can tell you from my personal experience that I gained around 15 pounds of muscle mass in one year with very little exercise (running at first, then none due to injuries). While I gained 15 pounds of muscle I remained around 10-11% body fat. If I concentrated on the scale I would have given up a while ago.

Your idea of using how your clothes fit as a metric is a great one but also keep in mind that you have no control over where your body is shedding fat. You could be losing the more unhealthy visceral fat before the subcutaneous fat.

If you have access to and can afford a bod-pod or dexa scan maybe have that done now to get a baseline of body composition. Then follow the program for several more months and then have another scan and see if there is any improvement.

I am in a similar situation as you. I have maybe 3-5 more pounds of fat that I would like to loose for body composition purposes, (also want to gain some lean mass as well for the same reason) and it is tough. The last few pounds are really tough. I was and suppose I am still am a bit frustrated trying due to how easy the first 50 or so pounds seemed to fall and how hard losing the last 3-5 has become. This seems to be a pretty common observation from many people. Though while it may be hard it is not impossible. If you figure out how to drop those last several pounds let me know!!

Good luck!