Not losing any weight, a little guidance would be helpful PLEASE

(Jean Guthrie) #1

I am on week six. I started out at 239. The first week I went down to 236. Today the scale hovered between 234 and 236. I am tracking on MFP and my macros are 5% Carbs, 70% Fat and 25% Protein. I do a good job of maintaining that. I am a female, 46 years old and 5’6. I do not have a thyroid. That makes weight loss slow, but still possible. I walk every day for 30 minutes. I am going to try to add some high intensity workout to see if that helps. The only food/drink i have that is questionable is occasionally a glass of red wine or a vodka soda with lime. I am sticking to this way of eating better than I have anything in my life. I measured this week and I am down 1 inch in my stomach. Clothes do fit better. I just don’t get why the weight will not leave. Is it years of yo-yo dieting? I am motivated and ready to work to make this work. This will be my new way of life. I love the way my body feels. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not much weight lost
Why am i not going into ketogenesis
(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

Dial back the booze for a month and focus on the inches. Women tend to lose inches when they want to lose pounds. Men pounds when they want inches.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

How much are you eating? Us newbies often come to Keto thinking we have to restrict calories. This can be a big hang up.

(Jean Guthrie) #4

I am not counting calories at all actually. A normal day for me seems to be 1700-1800 calories.

(Jean Guthrie) #5

That is a good idea. I have scaled down a lot but it would be interesting to see what no alcohol for a month produces.

(Alec) #6

Can you pls let us know what is a typical days food for you?

Do you feel hungry at any time?

How often do you eat?
Cheers
Alec

(Jean Guthrie) #7

I hardly ever feel hungry. I still feel like I am cheating when I eat the way I do because I am so full and content!!

A typical day for me is bullet coffee on my way out the door to work about 7am or if I am eating breakfast I will make eggs with bacon or another meat, I use avocado oil, coconut oil and olive oil. Lunch around noon is usually green salad with chicken breast, probably 4 ounces (I don’t measure) and then I add olive oil and sea salt. Dinner by 7pm is typically chicken or fish with a veggie and/or salad. I monitor my fat intake closely and if I am not up there I make sure to add more oils or mayo. I made fat bombs and a couple nights a week might have one in the evening. I am pretty habitual so most of my days are the same. I looked on MFP and my daily intake is 1700-1800 calories a day. I also don’t do net carbs and I don’t snack throughout the day.

(Sheri Knauer) #8

Sometimes your body has other things it is healing first before dropping weight and/or inches. Just stick with it and you will see more of the results you want to see. If you are eating strictly keto, then at 6 weeks in, you are on the verge of becoming fat adapted, in which case you can begin intermittent fasting and some extended fasting as well. The scale is showing only a 3lb loss but you also stated that you love the way your body feels now, so to me, that is huge! Just keep calm and keto on! You have the rest of your life on this journey

(Jean Guthrie) #9

I think years of dieting and taking diet pills and starving myself to lose weight did take it’s toll and you are right, I am sure I have a lot of healing to do. I have been trying fasting from bed to lunch. I could try adding in longer periods of time. I do love how I feel. My skin in healthy, I have energy and I just feel great. All those reasons keep me from cheating or quitting. For me, quitting is not an option. I will keto on and enjoy this journey :slight_smile:

(Alec) #10

Good that you’re not hungry.

Breakfast good. Not enough fat for lunch and dinner. This sounds low fat low carb. Halve the salad/veg and replace with fat. Smear everything with butter!! If your salad is literally swimming in mayo, ok, but I mean swimming, not just a spoonful.

(Jean Guthrie) #11

Thanks Alec, I am going to try to do this. How is get more fat is the hard thing for me. I add the oils, but I do not add butter usually. I am going to do that. How do you get most of your fats? I always think of adding meat but that just makes my protein go up.

(Alec) #12

I slather butter everywhere!! My new favourite food is raw spinach (fresh from my garden) covered in butter. Gorgeous!!

I have bought some really fatty meat offcuts and chewed into roasted meat fat. I tell you, meat fat is so satiating, there is a real limit to what you can eat of meat fat. So you could drop the chicken breast and find meat fat instead. I eat the fat my family cuts off their pork chops.

I made my own mayo and any salad has more mayo than salad. It is not a dressing, it’s the main part of the dish!!

I eat pork cratchings. I cook roast pork for my family and make my own scratchings!! Hmmmmm…

Breakfast is bacon and eggs covered in hollondaise, I mean covered, not a drizzle.

Macadamias are the best fatty nuts, but for some reason they don’t seem to satiate. I could sit there for hours eating macadamias. I am totally stuffed after 5mins of eating meat fat and physically can’t eat more.

Cream. I eat a lot of cream, in coffee and if I ever eat fruit, it is a handful of raspberries swimming in cream.

I cook fat bombs with sweetener. It is essentially eating choccies that are 95% fat. Still perfecting the recipes, I think this will take some time to get this right for me.

I will finish where I started. Butter. I have a large side of butter at every meal.

I make sure I am never hungry. I am now on hour 60 of a 4 day fast, and I am not hungry. I am fat adapted, and my body switches from using dietary fat to bodyfat whenever it needs to.

I love keto.
Cheers
Alec

(Jean Guthrie) #13

Thanks Alec, those are great tips!! I am on it for sure.

Jean

(Alec) #14

Oh, I forgot my new favourite meat cut. Pork belly. Bloody gorgeous. It’s solid bacon. Covered in home made mayo… hmmmmm… damn, I’m feeling hungry now :yum::yum:

(Ellen Nathan) #15

It is a bit pricey but you can use this product to get you off of the plateau:
Perfect Keto Exogenous Ketones Supplement- Base BHB Salts Keto Chocolate Sea Salt Flavor- Ketones for Ketogenic Diet Best to Burn Fat to Support Energy, Focus and Ketosis Beta-Hydroxybutyrate BHB Salt

Also consider intermittent fasting (18 hours is best and really ramps up the Ketosis) for a few days.

I reduced my carb intake to around 15-18 and I have lost 5 pounds in less than a week. I was on the same plateau so I did both of the above suggestions.

(Jean Guthrie) #16

I don’t know about pork belly!! That’s going to take some courage to try that one lol!!

(Jean Guthrie) #17

Thanks Ellen, these are very helpful ideas. I have heard about the ketone supplements and have thought of trying them as well. Now I will. 18 hour fast. I will try one this week. Thanks!

Pork belly will change your life.
In a good way.

(Rob) #19

@Jellybellyjean
First off, congratulations ofr taking the first steps towards better health. You’ve already received a lot of good advice. I’ve been at this for 9 weeks. I’m a 5’ 11" male with perhaps 25 - 30 pounds to lose. In 9 weeks I have lost 3 or 4 pounds.

A few things I’ve learned during this experience so far:

• If you do the right things the weight loss will come … maybe not as fast as you want it to … but it will come. Someone told me to trust the system and that was good advice. After all if we don’t trust the system, we should be doing something besides keto…
  • Count your carbs, I’d ditch the alcohol for now, and learn all you can. It can all be overwhelming so concentrate on a few key things … carbs and maybe getting enough fat. Add to the things you’re counting/watching as you acclimate. Make sure you accurately count the carbs … don’t guess. .
  • When time permits, read up on fasting. i wouldn’t recommend starting it until you’re further along but my understanding is that it can be a powerful tool. I did my first brief (36 hour) fast at 8 weeks and am planning on trying something more extended in the near future.

Waiting is hard. We all want results quickly. Read the Non Scale Victories (NSV) postings. There are a lot of wins that don’t involve the number on a scale.

I wish you well and look forward to reading future posts.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #20

Switch those chicken breast out for thighs with skin on and you’ll up your fat a lot.