Not failing quite so badly at Keto now! Need help with protein-free food?

newbies

Thank you all for chiming in with helpful suggestions for my earlier post! I have shifted into high ketosis, I am getting a little smaller…but have only lost 3 pounds. It has been about 2 months. I am not happy about this.

Since reading all your responses I cut my protein to around 80g. This seemed to do the trick…but now the amount of food I can eat is severely limited. EVERYTHING has protein in it. Cheese, cauliflower, broccolli, effing chocolate has protein! Everything.

Can you guys help me with a list of protein free foods I can actually eat? Google doesn’t seem to understand the question. I’m not going to eat sticks of butter or ghee. Actual food?

UPDATE: Please note that I am aware I am not eating enough, that is the purpose of my post. I am going over protein but falling short elsewhere. I am not counting calories, I am counting protein and carbs. This is why I am asking for a list of protein free food. I would really appreciate a list of protein free food. Thank you!

I would really appreciate it!

Still failing at keto
(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Protein is only a percentage of all the foods I know. Even steak and broccoli are only about a quarter protein by weight. So if you were to eat, say 225 g of steak (about eight ounces), you’d be getting about 56 g of protein, the rest being fat, etc. So 8 oz. of steak gives you 224 calories of protein and roughly 1521 calories of fat, which is a total of 1745 calories. It’s actually probably a bit less in terms of fat and total calories, because this is not accounting for connective tissue, etc. But that’s a lot of calories, and I suspect your satiety signal would turn on before you got to that level.

I suspect that there’s a misunderstanding rattling around in here somewhere, because I’m looking at this arithmetic and wondering what the problem is that you’re having. What am I missing?

80g. This is a very small amount. I hit that at 600 calories. I need protein free foods I can eat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Well, if you find an eight-ounce steak too small, I can’t help you with that.

Please give us a few days of the regular food you are eating so we can help you figure this out. It sounds like you are avoiding fats, but without knowing what you are actually eating, it’s difficult to guess.

(Brian) #6

I agree with Virginia, we need to know what you eat, what you like to eat, what you want to eat. Keto can cover a lot of variety in possible food selections.

Yes, lots of things have protein, even broccoli. You’re gonna have to eat a LOT of broccoli, though, to really get a large amount of protein. I think I’d be to the point of not wanting any more by the time I hit 10g of protein. A normal serving might be 5g or 6g.

I think I uploaded them…

I think I uploaded them?

I see them now. For one thing, you are not eating enough fat. Substitute dark meat chicken for boneless skinless chicken breast. It’s fattier meat. For another, add fats to everything you eat. It looks like you are doing some carnivore (no veg). That’s up to you, but you are doing low fat. Keto, by definition, is high fat.

ETA: not sure I understand your app, but it looks like you are going over in protein at least some days yet staying under on total food. The best advice I can give you is to get away from counting calories! You are not eating enough. Screw calories. Weight is hormone-driven, not calorie-driven. Search the forum and learn about macros. The best way to learn is to research it for yourself and ask us questions as you go along. What you are eating right now is not sustainable, not keto, not enough, and is not going to work.

This may all sound harsh, but it’s not intended to be. It’s intended to help you.

Hope this helps!

Like others have been saying, when you do eat protein, eat it in fatty cuts of meat cooked in more fat like butter. I like a couple pork ribeyes, cooked in butter, then I pour cream over the and let the cream reduce and thicken a little. It’s a nice high fat meal. Sometimes I’ll make butter soup. You just throw some near boiling water and a cut up stick of butter in a shaker cup with with boullion, spices, and some heavy cream. I usually add a little mct oil for extra credit, but that is very optional. Then you shake the crap out of it, VENTING OFTEN, and pour it into a bowl. It’s delicious.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

^^^^This is it in a nut shell.

Keto isn’t calorie counting. Just stop counting them. Eat 20 g. of carbs, moderate amounts of protein and fat to satiety. You haven’t been eating keto, so you are not burning fat yet. It can take months to covert to fat burning, some luck folks only take a few weeks, others it might be 6 or more months. Most of us have abused our body with CICO, low fat, high carb eating, so our bodies have to heal. Give it time.

Thank you , this is precesely why I posted. The point of my post was to just get a list of food without protein. I have yet to see that. I am not counting calories.

Thank you. I’ve actually been in high ketosis for several weeks - since my previous post here. Again, I am aware that I am not eating enough which the reason for the post. I asked for a list of food without protein. I have yet to see that. Again, I am not counting calories

I’m interested in why you say this is not keto. Aside form undereating this diet aligns wtih keto.

Also, all of the days I posted have veg in them…confused?

No offense, but we’re not going to do your homework for you. We’ll answer questions and clarify things, but you’ve got to learn the basics for yourself. Your problem is not needing a list of protein-free foods. You’re smart. Protein-free means only contains carbs and/or fat. You don’t want a lot of carbs, so fat it is. But you said you won’t eat a lot of butter, etc. So we can’t help you, then. If you only want a list of protein-free foods, then Google is your friend.

Your diet does NOT fit keto. Keto is 20g max of carbs, moderate protein to fit your lean body mass, and the rest fats. That’s it. Simple.

Dill pickles don’t really count as “veg.”

You’re not eating enough food, and you’re not eating enough fats. Try recalcularing your macros, and we’ll help you from there.

Otherwise, there’s really nothing more that we can add. Sorry.

It seems from your comment that you did not read my original post. Thanks for playing.

(Cheryl Meyers) #20

Here is Dr. Eric Westman’s simple keto eating guide – it describes the best keto foods to choose. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf

Give it time, you’ll get there!

thank you!

thank you for being the only one so far to actually read my orignal post and respnd to the question I asked! Love the suggestion, can’t wait to try it!