Not eating enough/muscle loss

newbies
fasting

(Elizabeth) #1

So I finally got into ketosis - my ketones level in blood is 0,8 (before I was strugling to get above 0.4) and every day it gets better. But I found out that I’m not so hungry anymore and sometimes I can just live for hours without eating not getting dizzy etc. So I don’t reach my daily macros. I’m wondering isnt it negatively affecting my muscle mass? If I’m in keto, which I can see from my keto blood test results, then if Im not eating all my kcal per day, am I still burning fat or my organism takes energy from my muscles? I started keto like almost 2 weeks ago and at the moment I have lost 5.9 kg.
For example my macros for yesterday were:
Protein 56g
Carbs 21g
Fat 102g
Is this ok? Yesterday I consumed 1253 kcal (~around 550 kcal deficit). Myfitness pal set my daily kcal intake for 1840 kcal.
Thank you in advance.

(Karen) #2

Have you been consuming at a deficit?? This works for some, but might lead to your body becoming a bit more efficient and doing OK on fewer calories. Not good for most people.

K

(Allie) #3

This is one of the joys of keto, you drift into intermittent fasting and get benefits from that too.

(Alan Williamson) #4

Humans would not survive a famine if the body used muscle for energy before using fat, no? Actually, all mammals have the same physiological response to a famine.

When I did calorie counting, I gave up because I was hungry all the time. I found that eating lots of fat that I was not hungry and I lost weight. Weird!

(matt ) #5

Not sure what your lean mass is but 56g of protein does not seem low. If you are not hungry you may well be fat adapted and using body fat for energy.

(Liz ) #6

If you have fat to burn & you are not overly hungry, you are likely fat adapted & making up your food calorie deficit with calories coming off your body fat. If you are lean that’s another story.

I had diminished appetite for about 7 months on keto & lost weight steadily. Then my fat cells became super efficient, my weight loss slowed, & my appetite returned (albeit not to carb eating days standard) so I started extended fasting to lower my insulin to burn more body fat.

So IMO your experiences seem totally normal and you are fine.

(Karen) #7

Leptin resistance too? I read this can be a real problem for women. I understand green tea can really help.

K