Not a newbie to keto, almost at goal weight, stalled

(Ruth) #1

I been keto for 18 months and have been very successful. I’ve lost 86 pounds, 30% of my body weight. Have successfully gotten off of all my diabetic meds and high blood pressure med.

However, I’m 9 lbs from my goal weight and stalled for months. Can’t seem to lose anything. Gain and then lose and then gain back.

Any tips for dropping these last stubborn pounds???

(Jane) #2

Congratulations on the 86 lbs!!!

The last 10 can be the most stubborn. What have you tried already? Looking for things you have tried to shake things up because your body is happy at the equilibrium it has found (even if you aren’t)

(Ruth) #3

I have stalled many times along my journey. Each time I’ve tried different things and gotten it moving again. 0 carb. Extended fasting. Extended fasting window on the days that I do eat. I do have to get back to the gym which I haven’t done for the past several months.

(Jane) #4

Well, you have done everything I would recommend - good luck and let us know if you find something different that works since it is a common problem when you get close to goal!

(Carl Keller) #5

Congrats from me as well. You’ve come such a long way and cut down your trips to the pharmacy! :slight_smile:

I’ve read a lot about stalls and some ideas that come to mind are:

1. exercise even if it’s just walking around the block a few times every day.
  2. increasing carbs a little so your body is not so afraid of spending it’s last bit of fat
  3. increasing or lowering protein
  4. IF or EF
  5. cutting out dairy, nuts and artificial sugars
  6. 8+ hours of sleep
  7. 2MAD or OMAD
  8. No snacking

I don’t list those from experience but those are what I’ve gathered in my internet travels. Hope something in there might help.

(Bob M) #6
  1. Avoid PUFAs, no canola oil, soybean oil, etc. Consider eating meats other than chicken and pork (beef and lamb, grass fed if you can do it), and lower or eliminate avocados.

2. Avoid eating after say 7pm, even earlier if you can.

(mole person) #7

I only got to goal with regular OMAD and no artificial sweeteners, no nuts, and no dairy.

(Mike W.) #8

Can you define “last 10”? How did you determine your goal? What is your bf%?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

I know that feeling all too well.
You’ve probably reached a set weight point, which I have also.
Toyed with the same few kg for over two months now. I am 10lbs away from my goal weight.
I mix it up constantly, and I am slowly breaking through it.
Have you tried extended fasting, or alternate day fasting to break the plateau?

(Ruth) #10

9 more lbs will make me officially not overweight on the charts. BMI is 27. My scale tells me my body fat is 40 percent, but I’m calling bs on that. I’m 5’2" and 144. Goal weight is 135

I fasted until I was below my desired weight (BMI=21). I adjust my eating and fasting regime so that I stay within 10 lbs. I expect that as my body gets accustomed to my (at this point forced) setpoint, I will have greater flexibility.

(Ruth) #12

I had been doing extended fasting, but had hernia surgery in September. Dr. Said no more extended fasting for about 8 months

(Jane) #13

And his reasoning was… ??? 8 months??? I’d be curious what his basis is since fasting has a long history of healing properties.

(Ruth) #14

My body is busy making protein surrounding the mesh he implanted. He is s Keto advocate and told me he wants me to eat MORE protein for 8 months, not fast. Only blessed 24 hours of fasting for 8 months

(Jane) #15

Ah, ok. Then it makes sense to be patient and heal up. Best wishes.

(Ruth) #16

Lol, I have a hard time being patient.

(Robert C) #17

Have you given a hard look at stress and sleep?

These can make any weight loss difficult - let alone the last few - even with all of the nutritional advice above, your body can feel it is in an “I have to hold on to this” mode.

(Ruth) #18

Yeah, neither one of those. Very little stress, and I take nightly magnesium supplements which equal great sleep.

(Ruth) #19

Here is a snapshot of my 2018 weight loss. I additionally lost 54 lbs in 2017, for a total of 86 lbs.

And a side by side photo for reference

(David Miller Putnam) #20

Ruth, Looking good in that photo. I’m in a very similar place as you with weight left to loose but I’m all Keto PLUS fasting. I have found the OMAD (One Meal A Day) is very easy to do and I guarantee if you start using it, you will loose your last 9 pounds. Then, keep it off with occasional fasting as needed. Good luck.

Miller