Noob Question about GKI

Can measuring GKI a couple hours after an IF window tell me if I ate too much? I made some kick-ass biscuits and gravy, however with all the changes I made the gravy recipe, I’m not sure if what I ate was too much fat/protein or not.

Either way, it was TOTALLY worth it for a one time thing, I’m more worried the proceeding days.

(Chris W) #2

Are you asking for being kicked out of ketosis via gluconeogenisis or because of the carbs in what you made? Biscuits and gravy would pretty much mean exogenous carbs in my mind unless you are talking about some sort of recipe with out carbs. In the case of exogenous carbs I would imagine a few hours later you have zero or nearly zero ketones.

If you are tracking it I would imagine yes you will see a difference, if you are not tracking it you have no base line so the info is more or less useless.
Long term effects are relative to a number of things, I would say how far a long you on the WOE is probably the most, metabolic health is the second (T2D or IR). If you are fat adapted it would be minimal, if you are keto adapted you may feel like crap for a day or two, if you are just starting well you could be starting over again.

yeah I’m tracking, and yes I used a keto biscuit and gravy recipe. I am mainly worried about eating too many calories from protein and fat, based on what I’m seeing I can’t find what I want from GKI. oh well

(Chris W) #4

I think you don’t understand how this WOE of eating works, you need to do a little more research.
Here at least using the term calories is not very helpful when referencing a level of intake. One of the reasons we use macros is that it is much easier to get your numbers more on target and broken down. Fat and protein should be segregated when doing your macros at least in my opinion. Fat generally speaking while ketogenic is hard to over do and does not play into insulin a whole lot. The type of fat and the way its delivered are IMHO more important than the amount, eating a egg vs eating a piece of sirloin are going to give you two entirely different reactions even though they may have the same amount of fat by grams. Eating 5 grams of butter vs 5 grams of pork fat as well are going to give you different results.
Excessive protein can be an issue, but protein also takes a long time to digest. Then there is the whole insulin level increase from it as well. So the GKI although helpful is not really an answer to short term issues like this one.
Again I am not sure what you are really trying to accomplish as far ate to much or too little. If you are targeting a real specific macro level and you are trying to see if you over did it, or the same with a ketone level. The feedback itself should be enough if you have been tracking it for some time. Glucose while ketogenic should be fairly constant if you are not terribly dysfunctional but it does have highs and lows through out the day. Ketones will tend to vary through out the day, based on a number of things of course glucose and insulin being the prime drivers there. I think most people will tell you that checking glucose in particular its important to use time intervals past your last intake.

Since you mentioned IF its also really important to understand that the whole window has an effect not just one meal of it. Time of the day your window is, and the type of food you are eating.
I hope this helps, if you can drill your question down to a little more specific we may be able to help more.

(Mike W.) #5

You’ll know you’ve eaten enough/too much when you’re full. You’ll eventually get it dialed in.

Are you meaning your glucose ketone index?
(Google lists about 10 GKIs)

If you do mean glucose ketone index then just relax.
Eating keto really shouldn’t take anywhere near that amount of phaff.
Your body will tell you if you need to tweak things.
Listen to it, then tweak as necessary.
:slightly_smiling_face: