Non-Plastic Lunch Containers and/or Tupperware Replacements

(Tim) #1

In the spirit of trying to stay keto after I break this massive fast, I’m trying to find good replacements for my random assortment of crap plasticware.

Promising leads so far

• Glasslock
  • Pyrex Snapware

Interested in anyone else’s experience. Also interested in lunchbox/bento box style lunch containers if people have leads on those.

(jilliangordona) #2

I just found a great 16 set of glass food storage at Kroger for $7.50 (normally $30). Check there if you happen to have one around you.

Also, I buy my bento style lunch boxes from TJMaxx. Mine are all metal, as I’ve been making an effort to reduce the plastic in my life.

(Arlene) #3

These days I use mostly clear glass for storing foods, though stainless steel is fine too. Amazon has some good options of various sizes with plastic lids. As long as the foods don’t touch the plastic, there should be no problem using plastic lids.

(Jim Russell) #4

I like the pyrex snapware quite a bit. Costco has a set of them for a pretty good price. I also have a knockoff set of non-pyrex brand that I got off ebay.

(Sheri Knauer) #5

For at home food storage, I really like using mason jars. You can buy 12 of them for less than $10 and I’m always checking thrift stores for large glass containers for $1 or 2. you just have to be diligent with marking the jars with what’s in it because heavy cream, coconut milk, and bacon fat look very similar in the fridge, lol

I love glass containers for storing things and Lunch Bots for easy transport for meals.

(Sheri Knauer) #7

I really like those lunch bots!

(KB Keto) #8

I too love the pyrex.

Advice when switching to glass: Buy less in total than plastic. It takes up far more space and unless you have an abundance of storage space - it can be a pain in the but.
Source: My frustrated experience with a 1 for 1 swap and space limitations.

(Christopher Bingel) #9

We just got a nice set from Costco. They’re plastic, but they have a more expensive glass option as well. Unfortunately, they aren’t listed on Costco’s website, so I don’t have a link for you.

(Anna) #10

I use Mason jars. I buy lids too from Walmart. I use tape on the lid to mark, date what it is.
But I also use Glass lock that I bogor at Costco. TJ Maxx and ROSS,will have glass too.
Corning has some nice items too. Check an outlet or garage sales.
I saved my Kombucha jars too as well as any glass salad dressing jars, oh, and any glass jar with the lid , like my mustard jar, olive or pickle jars, etc.

(Kathleen Lupole) #11

I have various sizes of canning jars and have always used those for leftovers. I did from time get some plastic due to eating Chinese take out…but now we are not getting it anymore so I threw out everything I had. Since I lived for quite a few years with no refrigeration at all except for a root cellar and an ice chest, I got into the habit of using the canning jars. They keep things colder than plastic and if they got wet they didn’t float. I am planning on buying some vintage glass refrigerator containers, the little square ones, because I like them. I am not sure the tops are tight, but they will work for some stuff. Plastic is like a parasite, it takes over and I am trying my best to not let anymore come in that I can replace with glass.

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

We use a mix of snapware, pyrex glassware, and canning jars. I also have one old school glass container from the 30s that has the heavy glass top, it seals well due to its weight. I wish the glassware and snapware had glass tops but they seal so well and we don’t fill the containers high enough to touch the plastic. I love how the glassware goes from fridge to microwave or oven to the table.

We also got sick and tired of our garbage bag getting full of take out containers, so we have a nice insulated carry bag filled with containers to use for leftovers at restaurants. No more styrofoam, even the corn based stuff for us.

(Jessika Nilsson) #13

These are really nice if you have an IKEA close by :slight_smile:
Glas containers, although the lids are plastic, but as long as you don’t fill them up there is usually no contact :slight_smile: No leakage either :smiley:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=FÖRTROLIG

(KB Keto) #14

This! Pyrex and Mason Jars are my go to. Depending on what I’m putting in my mason jar - I will use the plastic screw on lids unless its something that is going to rest upon the plastic top then I use the canning lids that come with it.

(Siobhan) #15

Pyrex. We sometimes still use plastic but Im hoping to transition us away from it. It is something we CAN do and then the billions of plastic containers can go to the farm for starting seeds or whatever.

Glass snapware is awesome! I got two sets of it from Costco and tossed all the random plastic stuff, it was so liberating.

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #17

You might get some that vacuum seal, like food saver. I wanted to try these for storage of leftovers, but I think you need a vacuum sealer. I’m not sure these are glass though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A5W7L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x.7Bzb2SYXVQF

(Mike W.) #18

We also have to label our mason jars. Is it blue cheese dressing? Ranch? Horseradish sauce? All mayo based and all look the same! :joy:

(Arlene) #19

I don’t label mason jars with those pretty stickers anymore. They’re so tough to remove after you empty the jar for cleaning. For several years now, I just write on the jars with a black permanent marker. This easily cleans off with a little cleansing powder.

(Mike W.) #21

We have reusable plastic lids for ours. Just washes off in the dishwasher.