"Non-methylaters"?

(Marc Colbeck) #1

Hi Everyone,

Went to see an MD recently who is very much into nutritional medicine. She figured I was - what she called - a non-methylater. Apparently I lack a gene that allows me to methylate some molecules, which means I have trouble getting enough energy from food. She sent me for a whole blood histamine test, which came back slightly high according to her tables (but was within the indicated normal range on the test result page) and has suggested that I start taking SAM-E supplement, which is apparently a methyl donor.

I’ve got a background in medicine and I’ve never heard of this. When I went searching through the evidence-based literature there wasn’t really anything. That doesn’t surprise me terribly, who is going to invest in research in a non-patentable product? I DID find a website by Elizabeth Gilbert, and I’ve ordered the book Nutrient Power by Bill Walsh, which apparently explains all of this.

So, question for the group … has anyone ever heard of this? Or seen any peer-reviewed, published evidence that supports this? Is this all woo? I’m not sure if my doctor is cutting edge, or just whacked.

Any thoughts or resources or personal experience-anecdotes would be appreciated. An n of 1 is still an n.

Thanks!

(Central Florida Bob ) #2

If instead of non-methylater, you search on MTHFR, you’ll probably get farther. It’s a genetic defect that a lot of us have. Of course, I’m guessing that’s what your doc is referring to.

There appear to be two variants, one that gives about 30% reduction in methylation and the worse one that gives closer to 70%. I have the milder one, and while I’ve tried a few different things to see if it made any difference in my weight loss or how well I feel, nothing has. I have not tried SAM-E. To pull a little explanation from my Promethease report

MTHFR rs1801131 is involved in converting 5-methylfolate (5MTHF) to tetrahydrofolate (THF). Unlike MTHFR C677T, this mutation does not lead to elevated homocysteine levels.
rs1801131 is a SNP in the MTHFR gene, representing an A>C mutation at mRNA position 1298, resulting in a glu429-to-ala (E429A) substitution (hence this SNP is also known as A1298C or E429A).

Hope that’s helpful.

(What The Fast?!) #3

I have the double mutation of MTHFR and I take methylated b vitamins. Look up Ali Miller RD - she has a ton of great info on this. She has a podcast and an active Instagram.

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

Not to hijack the thread, but can you feel a difference with the methylated B vitamins @KetoLikeaLady ?

I have some methylated B12. Pretty sure if you blindfolded me I couldn’t tell you which I took.

(Brian) #5

I had heard a webinar of some kind somewhere that tried to tell us that EVERYBODY should be taking methylated B vitamins. I did try some methylated B vitamins for a while but like Bob, I don’t think I got much in the way of results I could feel.

(Sheri Knauer) #6

I have the MTHFR mutation as well and my 10 year old daughter does too. I found out through the 23 and me genetic testing.

I take the methylated B’s as well. Im definitely going to look up Ali Miller.

(What The Fast?!) #7

Meh. I take a slew of vitamins and I can’t see I feel any different than before I started taking them a few months ago. The only thing I definitely notice is the magnesium (I don’t :poop: unless I take 600mg a day of citrate/Malate mix) and potassium (I get awful calf cramps if I don’t sleep about 1500mg).

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

I understand. I’m working through those magnesium and potassium issues, too. I haven’t nailed down my dosages that well, yet.

(Bunny) #9

Something like this?

Related:

1. ”… Polyphenols can be found in green tea and other plant-based foods. Another example is resveratrol, which is found in foods like red grapes and blueberries. Research shows that resveratrol has epigenetic effects that promote DNA methylation and decreased tumor cell growth4. …” …More
  1. “… It is apparent that methylation enhancement plus antioxidants are going to give far greater benefits than antioxidants alone. Not surprisingly, methylation is blazing through scientific journals like wildfire. …” “…In a general sense, methylation is a biochemical event that provokes changes in the body. Technically, methylation is the transfer of a “methyl group” composed of one atom of carbon and three atoms of hydrogen (CH3) to another molecule. While this doesn’t sound exciting, the end result can be. Carbon is in every organic substance on earth, and when carbon atoms hop around, things happen. To understand methylation, think of the human body as a car. Methylation is the spark plug. Without it, everything stops. Methylation is a mover and shaker. It causes guanidinoacetic acid, for example, to become creatine (high energy). It makes adrenaline from norepinephrine, and melatonin from serotonin. It is crucial for the transcription of DNA, and other entities… All methylation reactions in the body (except one) require an active form of the amino acid methionine called S-adenosylmethionine SAMe or AdoMet. The only methylation reaction that doesn’t require SAMe is the conversion of its own by-product back to methionine. SAMe is created in the body from the interaction of methionine with ATP. Once SAMe is created, important things happen. •For years we’ve been hearing that free radicals damage DNA and cause cancer; now we know why. Scientists are aware that chemicals create free radicals that cause cancer. Scientists also know that cancer cells have abnormal methylation. The connection between abnormal methylation and free radicals was put together when researchers at Northwestern University showed that if you oxidize a little section of DNA, it causes abnormal methylation. Free radicals attach themselves to nucleic acids and alter methylation. …” …More
  1. DNA methylation: a timeline of methods and applications

(Linda) #10

I have that gene variant as well, according to my promethease report. Plus [gs192] which has something to do with homocysteine levels, and [rs1801133]. I look at these kinds of things and just feel more confused than anything else. I’ve noticed that my diet always seems to be deficient in folate and wondered if I should be taking it.

(Marc Colbeck) #11

These are GREAT answers guys, thanks so much for all the information. I think someone should be telling the ‘dudes’ about this. I think this is probably worth a podcast.

Marc

(Sheri Knauer) #12

They did do a podcast with Carrie Brown and she talked about MTHFR and what she went through. OF course everyone is different in how having that mutation affects them. Perhaps having a podcast with someone who is an expert in the MTHFR realm.

(CharleyD) #13

Ben Lynch’s book Dirty Genes also explains MTHFR polymorphisms as well as a few other genes that respond well to nutrition.

https://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Genes-Breakthrough-Program-Optimize-ebook/dp/B072L4DSDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1535649039&sr=1-1&keywords=ben+lynch+dirty+genes

(CharleyD) #14

He also has a paper on just MTHFR for $1 on Kindle if you’re interested:
https://www.amazon.com/MTHFR-Basics-B-J-Lynch-ebook/dp/B00H8BFOBE/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1535649039&sr=1-2&keywords=ben+lynch+dirty+genes

Some more fuel to your research!

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/hashimotos-mthfr-mutation-keto-log/38282/11?u=powertrix