Non Keto books that really help in keeping you on your new way of eating!

(Jennibc) #1

As I started perusing this message board several months ago, I have noticed some topics come up frequently. Many posters talk about self-sabotage, stress eating that throws them off, worry about this becoming just another failed attempt, etc. Over the past few years I have learned that the mind is very, very powerful. What we tell ourselves about things makes a huge difference in how our bodies respond and function (there is science that backs this up). It’s never too late to change the way we talk to ourselves – I know this because I was over 40 when I went from being a pessimist to an optimist and overcame life long cynicism. And having been on both sides of it, life is much better when you start seeing the glass half full.

For me to have lost 100 pounds, it took a paradigm shift. It took a lot of self study to get there and I would like to share the books I read that helped me get there in case any of you are struggling. I am sure there are many others of you who have gone through the same transformation and found certain evidence based self help books as part of the process. Please share them here!

The best book I read was “The Upside of Stress” by Kelly McGonigal https://www.amazon.com/Upside-Stress-Why-Good-You/dp/1101982934

Followed by “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhrigg https://www.amazon.com/Power-Habit-What-Life-Business/dp/081298160X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547127784&sr=1-1&keywords=The+power+of+habit

“Mindset” by Carol Dweck also was super helpful https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Carol-S-Dweck/dp/0345472322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547127812&sr=1-1&keywords=mindset+carol+dweck

And I learned about most of these books when I started reading Eric Barker’s Blog 'barking up the wrong tree" He also now has a book that I thoroughly enjoyed, called “Barking Up The Wrong Tree” He’s an engaging and humorous writer. https://www.amazon.com/Barking-Wrong-Tree-Surprising-Everything/dp/0062416049/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1547127927&sr=1-1&keywords=barking+up+the+wrong+tree+by+eric+barker

LCHC (low-carb, high culture)
(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

A reformed cynic, that’s awesome. I had a very negative outlook on life and most people in general after losing my leg 19 years ago when I was 40. It’s sure easier being thankful for life and what you can do than being unable to enjoy what you’re still able to do. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jennibc) #3

I am so sorry that you have had to go through that. It is hard to keep a positive outlook after suffering that kind of loss. It’s okay to grieve.

(less is more, more or less) #4

Amen

Great topic. I’m very much an autodidactic philomath, or at least I try to be. My recommendation is not a book, but a podcast. Someone I find persuasive towards unconventional thinking, and advocating n=1 trials, is Tim Ferriss. His schtick is about “how to get rich,” which I don’t really care about. Once you get past that nonsense, he’s also willing to explore unproven or off-track ideas rejected or ignored by the mainstream. I don’t recommend his books but that’s my taste. I thought his first book, “Four Hour Work Week” was simply awful, but some of his podcasts (maybe 4 out of 10) are solid. If you’re willing to put up with uneven performance, check him out.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

I’m so over it that it’s hard to remember what life was like beforehand.

(KetoQ) #6

How very true! Thanks for sharing your story and the books. I’d like to share something I either read or heard a while back on self talk that might be helpful to some on this board.

And that is … “We would never let anyone talk to us, the way we talk to ourselves.”

That little guy in your head can talk a lot of shite. You have to put him in his place.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

Great topic! Getting cancer changed me from Little Miss Life Sucks to Mrs. I Don’t Have Time To Feel Crappy About That Thing.

I look forward to looking into those books.

(less is more, more or less) #9

I’m about a third of the way into this excellent book:

I just finished a chapter on the flawed use of epidemiological studies, which should sound familiar to us. The book is an excellent review on our dichotomous approach to understanding, our reflex or reactions and rethinking how we come to making decisions, either individually or corporately.

It might sound like a dry read, but the author is quite engaging in his narrative.

(Bunny) #10

A book I’m planning on reading:

Tan Tien Chi Kung: Foundational Exercises for Empty Force and Perineum Power, Edition 2

Mantak Chia: Techniques to Activate The Second Brain

(Bunny) #11

Was looking at this book which taps into the mystery of telomerase (lengthens the tips of chromosomes) and how increasing telomerase does not make one more susceptible to cancer, this book is fascinating because it hones in on micronutritional deficiencies, looking deeper into the book preview it occurred to me that brewers yeast (NAD+) anti-CD-38 has better composition of vitamins required to make telomeres longer than most vegetables which are better for the delivery of minerals and trace elements…

I think I’m going to get these books below:

How Not to Die
Book by Gene Stone and Michael Greger

The How Not To Die Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease
Book by Gene Stone and Michael Greger
…More