No tummy pain... Crohn's disease

(New Keto Friend) #1

I’m 33 days in now. Started my keto journey because of Crohns Disease with Rheuma, diverticulitis, chronic sinusitis and being overweight… The last 3 days in a row I did not have pain in my tummy! Did you hear that? No pain in my tummy!.. And didn’t have blood in my stools! Do you know, that’s 6 years ago! I couldn’t hope that things got declared so fast, but it happened! It’s amazing. (like that I lost 5 kgs too)

(Carl Keller) #2

Congrats Miek. :slight_smile: It’s surprising to me that it suprises us when how much better our bodies perform when we simply eat right and eliminate garbage. I was blown away by how much my health improved after eating keto for a few weeks. The more you do keto, the more sense it makes.

(New Keto Friend) #3

Thank you Carl. Yes it surprises me too that with just eating the right food, the body functions completely different… And it surprises me too that after a month my mind and body don’t know anything else than keto. Like I never had eaten something different than keto. Like there was no crap period of life. Amazing!

(Jeanne Wagner) #4

Fantastic!

I have a co-worker who has been plagued with Crohns Disease for 20+ years (as long as I’ve known him at this place of work). He’s had surgeries, large parts of his intestines removed. He looks like a big guy but I don’t know if it’s just a hallmark of having Crohn’s. I heard once he lost tons of weight when he was hospitalized, his upper body and arms got really skinny (muscle loss?)… but his belly was still large. His belly is enormous today. I feel so bad for him. I think he’s given up. I’m not sure when too far is too late to do anything. Like when is it too far gone and keto can’t even help. He’s doing just conventional things, if he’s even doing that. I’d like to introduce him to keto, but everyone I talk to about it, even gently, just dismiss it out of hand and don’t listen at all. We can only lead a horse to water, we can’t make it drink. I have another friend who was recently diagnosed with MS, and I told him keto has been known to help, and he won’t even listen. He says there’s no way, thanks but no thanks, keep your opinions to yourself. Everyone is trying to send him their ‘quick fix’ article or link or whatever, and he’s over it. that and the doctors have told him it’s simply progressive and there’s nothing that can stop it. (Just like diabetes type II and we all know that CAN be reversed and quite easily.) Doctors have an extremely strong influence on patients. They really do.

I saw you recently joined. Welcome, thanks for sharing! That’s a great success to have so early on. Enjoy keto, it really is simple and has so many benefits that will start to unravel as you get more into it.

That’s WONDERFUL news, @Miek!

Thank you for sharing this! :+1:

(New Keto Friend) #7

@EyesWideOpen I agree you that doctors have a big influence on patients in that way you described. It’s a sad thing, doctors should teach their patients to be open minded about their diseases. Some doctors do, but most of them not.

(New Keto Friend) #8

@Gaff thank you for welcoming! Yes, a success within a month, it’s surprising to me. The keto life is indeed an easy life. No more fighting against myself to don’t eat crap. It’s gone… And a healthier body. I like it!

(New Keto Friend) #9

@dlc96_darren thank you… It’s important to share the success. For myself but for others too. It keeps everyone going.

That’s wonderful news! I have a coworker who has that same condition. It’s been rough for her. She’s had part of her intestines removed because of it. I’m so glad you’re feeling better!!!

(Carl Keller) #11

It can be frustrating to see your friends and family suffering because of their diet. That feeling of being powerless to help them even when you 100% know you can help is tough to swallow. I often find myself wanting to toss them a keto lifepresever but I know there’s more than a good chance that they will find it insulting.

Five years ago, I would have found keto advice insulting and probably scorned someone as if they were some type of religious zealot. Looking back, I see myself as someone addicted to processed foods and sugar and any WOE that contradicted mine, felt like a personal attack.

Fortunately, I got tired of being tired before the SAD killed me and had to try something. In the meantime, it’s up to us to be a living example of what eating right can do and hopefully we are there when someone we care about asks for a hand up.

This comment has been deemed worthy of a LIKE! :heart:

Explanation (click here):

I really want to give your comment a “like”, but the forum software has indicated to me that I am currently ALL OUT, because of some arbitrary limit of “likes” one can give out, in some arbitrary time span.

Not having the ability to “like” your comment leaves me with few choices.

To remedy this, I have chosen to create this comment to explain that I like your comment, but I can’t “like” it right now.

Which, honestly, goes against the forum guidelines of keeping things “tidy”.

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

So, I do the best I can. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

(Jeanne Wagner) #13

I 100% agree. Exactly.

(Anita Quinto Quirk) #14

I can really identify with what you are saying. I have a type 2 diabetic friend and have tried on a few occasions to get him to try keto as it is really the only way to go. For him it seems to be an emotional connection to his eating. Anyhow he did not listen and went on to suffer a heart attack with quad bipass surgery. He has been released and showed photos on social media about his next meal and it was a lovely antipasto platter BUT he had a large vienna loaf on the side!
He does not know that medical surgery prolonged his life but his habits will soon reverse it!!
:frowning:

(Edith) #15

Maybe keto is too extreme, but gluten free maybe not? I’ve read that gluten can aggravate MS. I think I read that in “Against the Grain.” I, unfortunately, loaned that book to someone and never got it back, so I can’t confirm, but the book had quite a long list of the health problems caused by gluten intolerance. I’m pretty sure MS was one of them.

Edit: Oops! The book is called “Dangerous Grains.” :blush:

(PSackmann) #16

Congratulations, that is fantastic news! I know how much of a struggle Crohns is, my sister-in-law has it and we’ve been there when she’s having a major flare-up.

(New Keto Friend) #17

Yes it’s very much a struggle… But I get better day by day now!

(Jeanne Wagner) #18

It’s hard to watch and ‘know’ what could happen all over again. I had a doctor who died after his 2nd massive heart attack, and it was about a decade apart. He was high carb… real food, but high carb. I wonder if he had some oils in there that weren’t on the up and up. We will never know.

A friend of mine just died yesterday. I am heartbroken. She was very obese and had fibromyalgia. She
was in so much pain every single day. I tried so hard to sell her on keto and she just didn’t want anything to do with it. She had tried it once, “got very sick,” and would never try again. I’m sure it was a severe case of keto flu she experienced. Ironically she did cheer me on and would often say 'I’m so glad you found somethign that works for you." My heart is heavy.

In the end it seems that all we can do is be an example, answer questions when/if asked, lead that horse to water, and be patient, and hope s/he drinks.

(Jeanne Wagner) #19

Yes, there are many sources that report strong associations of when one gives up gluten, eats real food, gets rid of all the process foods, that the signs of MS diminish if not go away completely, autism getting a hellova lot better, palsies reduced or eliminated, RA greatly diminished, etc. Not to mention the proof of reversing type II diabetes. Books, podcasts, blogs, vlogs… I wish I had been keeping a list this past year of these sources and subjects; but one of the reasons I haven’t is because I’d have time to do nothing else! I’d be scribbling in that book practically 24/7 with the volumes of information I’ve been taking in.

(New Keto Friend) #20

I feel sorry for you @EyesWideOpen It’s sad!