No-quit, No-carb No-vember (30 day carnivore experience)

(Judy Thompson) #244

Happy nearly December! Another year sliding by already.

The weekend was cold and exhausting, but successful for us in our musical performances. Saturday our duo played outdoors in a tent near the polo field on the winery grounds we play in on weekends. I had my fingerless gloves and a light suede jacket but not much protection there - it was about 50° out. But we strolled table to table to play, and began the month of Christmas music, and people responded, so we were happy. Fredericksburg is wonderland now with the Marketplatz trees all wrapped in lights and the big tree and German life sized carillon on display. Thousands of tourists line the sidewalks and attend the events we play. Let the games begin!

Yesterday I fired up the new Otto grill and cooked a thick ribeye. We split it as well as a pound of jumbo shrimp, a wonderful lunch. Hubby has his darn sides but that means more meat for me! So I fried the rest of the shrimp in butter for dinner and then an egg with a little cheese.
The steak is different seared with this grill! I seared one in the cast iron pan on Sunday and these were practically like different animals.

This one from Sunday

This was yesterday’s.
Oh and both steaks were sous vided at 129 for 24 hours.
Also shrimp and ice cream:

Friday I made Crack Turkey from the rest of the turkey we brought home - cream cheese, cheese, bacon added to the turkey. No icky ranch dressing seasoning, gross!

The crack turkey got us through 2 days.

Lastnight’s egg was crispy. I enjoyed that.
@FrankoBear I know Billie will be better in no time! Poor baby. Glad resting is her forte!
@Fangs Road trip! Those things are irritating but at least yours was brief. Always good to be home to your own fridge. Seven years! Yes!!
@Shinita interesting talk on genders in languages. Always entertaining identifying the genders of objects in Spanish too! Your rabbit looks nice. Dad and Grampa raised rabbits and we ate a lot of them as kids in Iowa. Yummy with gravy!

(Robin) #245

Guessing you made the ice cream?

(Judy Thompson) #246

I use Dr Kiltz’s basic recipe only leaving out the sugar (he adds a couple tablespoons). Pint of cream, 2 raw eggs, pinch of sugar, tbsp vanilla. I put it in the machine when we start eating and it’s done about the time we finish.
To me it’s perfect. Hubby adds chocolate syrup and Redi Whip.

During keto I used to make Ice cream using a dozen egg yolks and a quart of cream, I’d stir it for half an hour in a double boiler and then put it in the freezer for 2 hours before processing in the ice cream maker. It would have to sit on the counter for half an hour to soften when I took it out of the freezer. Sheesh. This one is so easy!

[yesterday but I wrote it as it would be today :D]

It’s nice to start with a decent sized carnivore lunch but I needed a third meal again… The usual, not bad hunger but something definitely felt missing. I am very sure it was the protein… Good thing I plan to fry up my very common over a pound pork (it’s hopefully fatty enough now, I use the fattier part of my leaner pork and some pretty lean pork belly - maybe pork chuck fattiness only, very unusual for pork belly here) as that is a nice base and even without having any idea about my macros, I know I just need some eggs and maybe dairy and I should be okay protein wise (and it’s a good start or even finish for my fat intake too :wink: ).

SUNNY DAY, I try not to forget to grab the camera when I go to sell some of my land pieces! The useless stupid tiny fragments, they aren’t worth much (to put it lightly. almost nothing) but they are just annoying when I get a letter whenever one of the many owners do something with it (or just dies, I guess that is what normally happens but now an agricultural company buys them).
And it turned out I couldn’t figure out my inheritance tax at all and need to pay less than half a million HUF… These inheritance laws are complicated.

I need to use this very sunny day as 3 totally rainy/snowy/sleety will follow :cry: At least the car battery will be charged. Walking in the cold rain in the dark forest is already not fun but doing it for 3 days on the same week… Alvaro doesn’t need that to feel miserable, he has unusually annoying workplace experiences this week (and it’s quite bad to begin with, very selfish bosses, very dense coworkers). He can use the bicycle (still no gears, we really need to call the man…) after rainy days only when there is frost. And not on rainy days.
It’s not just me, he also thinks we had way too many rainy days recently. I want SUNSHINE and not just for one day :frowning: But at least no rain. And definitely not sleet. Maybe snow, that’s fun. If something MUST fall… :confused:

[…]
Indeed, it was very sunny but cold, not very cold so I felt my pullover was too much sometimes but I needed it sometimes… I needed a cap but not all the time… And the back of my hand wasn’t warm!
3 Celsius aka 37 Fahrenheit… But sunny and not windy.
I made photos but they aren’t here yet, I wonder if any turned out okay. Definitely not artistic, the scenery was nice, the sun shined perfectly but I just didn’t see good photos so barely made any.
I sold my useless land particles and then went for a walk and half-hearted mushroom hunting. I have found 2 purple ones, I always liked their color… But they are pretty anyway. Some have that nice firmness, thickness that I find aesthetic. Of course there are various mushroom beauties… I can enjoy the look of a stocky champignon, a tall, majestic amanita or some bracked fungi :slight_smile: No bracked fungi today, it’s almost shocking! They are everywhere but not where I was looking today, apparently. But it’s fine, I saw a bunch of small young ones last time, they were cute and striped as bracket fungi so often are. I like the odd colored ones and the color changing ones a lot too. There is a cortinarius (a huge group, mostly with toxic members if I remember well… the one I am talking about is edible) that is already very pretty with its reddish/purplish cap and yellow flesh but it turns very dark (I think purplish) blue when cooked :smiley: I like the super tiny ones too especially the bright colored ones but the brown tinies can be quite pretty and just adorable too. I always had very few mushrooms I liked for their taste, specifically but it’s even less since carnivore. Herald of the winter started to come out lately, I love it as it looks great, bright white except the cap, we call it “frost resistant snail mushroom”. I am into names more than usual lately. English has all those berries, German too while we gave each their own name… Almost. We do have some “-berries” but very very few. Like rosehip, that is “lace berry” when translated.
But I get less and less carnivore here, but it’s not eating, it’s some other hobby :smiley:

So. I had enough of second and third dinners/suppers (but dinner will stay my evening meal forever as I learned it that way and only read about reality decades later) and anyway, I needed to cook some meat again so I fried up 640+ g pork with an average fattiness somewhere below pork chuck. And almost ate it all and some cheese and very little egg. Simple carnivore lunch, I am so good at that now :smiley:
Due to the somewhat leanness, the pork wasn’t as fully enjoyable as it could be but it was still pretty good and easy to eat (but it’s heavily pork day #1 so no wonder I am not bored of it yet. and it had lots of fatty pieces among the leaner ones, that helped).

I still love the new coffee, started drinking it at 1:30pm or something. Good enough I guess. I try to stop after dinner as I don’t want it black.

@JJFiddle: Beautiful steak pic… And I want shrimps too… But not as much as it’s expensive as I can buy some (more than the shrimp) nice fish with that money…

Oh and I finally opened the packet of the very thin and long sausage even Alvaro was looking forward to.
Sigh. I am so very used to sausages being mostly okay. <0.5% carbs and that’s mostly paprika. This one has even a lot of meat (180g used for 100g sausage) and those are usually very nice hard ones.
This one is soft and SUGARY! Lots of carbs and it is actually sweet. So I lost interest :frowning: Do I need to check EVERY label? It seems so :frowning: I check a lot but well, I had so nice experiences with sausages. Because pâté is simple, ALL are bad in my current standards now… If I want to buy some, I surely check the label (and put it back so I stopped trying).
Stupid “putting sugar into meat stuff”. And I am able to handle a minuscule bit somehow but not 1.9% sugar and 5.3% carbs or what. That’s a super huge percentage - for something that just ruins it… But I write too much about this.

I forgot to salt my pork :smiley: So I could check and find that I still don’t consider unsalted fried meat inedible but I still strongly prefer it with a little salt :wink:

Oh, whole eggs? I only use yolks in my ice cream (maybe a tiny bit of whipped whites) but as it’s at least 50% (but usually way more) eggs and I have no machine for it, no wonder… :wink:
A machine surely makes something nicer texture wise but I never ever liked ice cream much enough to justify bothering with one.

Oh, that’s eggier :slight_smile: It’s similar to my carnivore one but I use WAY more yolks, of course. Ratio wise as I never go over 3 and often use only one yolk… 10ml cream per egg works fine, my 30ml tiniest result is a perfect portion for me. Maybe because I don’t ever desire ice cream but it IS nice, it’s just something carnivore did to me. But as I wrote I never was a huge ice cream fan (but I did like it. how could I? traditional ice cream is so watery and low-fat and sugary… they still did something right taste wise…) even though I loved sweets and creamy things but I can have such ones way quicker, just when I fancy some, not an hour later or something. Mine inevitably freezes hard afterwards so needs a little planning. Just like your old one, it would soften but how on earth could I know if I will want ice cream half an hour later? I don’t function like that.

IDK what that is but I mix mine in a minute and that’s it, I am not willing to work for ice cream more :smiley: I do whip the yolks but that’s zero extra work as I only make ice cream when I make sponge cakes anyway and more yolks are easier to whip… Similarly, I use my already whipped cream. So the ice cream itself is close to zero work.

I still like my jellied fluff more. That takes its sweet time to set but I have days to eat it whenever I want and I always want it soon. Jelly amuses me.

(KM) #249

Double boiler is a pot of boiling water set on the stove with your cooking pot set on top of it. It keeps the temperature of the food you’re cooking definitely below boiling point so it’s good for making custard or anything that could overcook or curdle, but at such low temps it takes forever. I always took my chances with yanking things off the burner at the last minute.

@kib1: Thanks! I knew about the technique itself (just not the term), only for custard and melting chocolate and the like… I usually find even that too much work :smiley: But I have nice creamy recipes with raw yolks so I can just do that. It doesn’t make my pudding thick so I add something (and there is egg pudding but that’s jelly like while I am used to thick but more flowy puddings).
I do get nostalgic sometimes, Mom had a custard like dessert and she just made it in a pot normally. She had skills. I made scrambled eggs floating in milk that way. And she had love towards eggs, too, that was good as her diet influenced mine when I was little. We always had a lot of eggs at home and no one batted an eye when I ate many (but I didn’t do that often, my eggier times came after I went low-carb. I imagine I barely ate 5-10 times more eggs than recommended by the clueless so-called experts but I didn’t care about such things). But I don’t know, it was so long ago. But I ate everything except meat (we ate some but very little, mostly on Sundays and on holidays. and some deli meat on normal days, sometimes) so I couldn’t eat 10 eggs regularly :smiley: Well, I could have I guess but I didn’t.

I noticed I eat very few eggs now. I keep postponing making sponge cakes too. Good as we are low again. Today would be egg day but the egg lady took a 2 week break for some reason. Sometimes the hens lay too few, sometimes it’s some family or national holiday and she uses them up… I am so glad the greengrocery’s has okay eggs.

Today I make meatballs from the smoked pork hock skin (lots of fat on it…) and the leanest leftover part of the green ham I mostly ate yesterday. Just the meat gave me almost 130g protein and I had some eggs and cheese and other things… I didn’t track except a few protein rich items so I only know I ate higher than usual protein.
And then I had to go and eat up something non-carnivore I made (not quite for me… but Alvaro had his own version I dislike), without hunger but with appetite, it was tasty… That’s about eating over a pound of meat and other carni items to keep me satiated enough not to behave in the evenings. I need to work on that.

But at least I start with a biggish carnivore lunch every day, it could be much worse… I can do this much for now. I don’t want ANY high-carb day even in December (preferably not even moderate carb but that won’t happen) and a good start helps a lot. I am the type who should postpone consuming problematic items (including coffee) as if I start, I may not be able to stop for a long time. Even I have some resistance (but rather lack of desires) when well-fasted, it gets worse after eating and my gremlin time is just horrible sometimes though I got much better and food choices are usually good (I still barely can get satiated and that’s annoying when I don’t have some very decent and satiating food. I just shouldn’t eat late as I am lost when I already ate high protein and all my satiating food has a lot…). My carni days start to get very good, I need to work on my off days. I have been doing that already but I need much more.
Oh and this should be done while chilling, no struggle, focus, tiresome thinking…
So my focus is low now, I just vaguely try to guide my uncontrollable self. I have practice and I changed a lot, it can’t be that hard…

(Karen) #251

It is still Autumn here but getting mighty cold…more like winter. I have had to switch heating on early as i like to last put till december! 2nd year on trot i have had to put it on a few days early!

I chucked my dinner back up last night and had Big D :face_vomiting: i think it was because i had two hard boiled eggs after meal… at least i think it was due to that. I have felt weak and tired all day today which is annoying because i was feeling great yesterday. I went back to bed for an hour or so this morning and haven’t done a thing all day. I had turned heating off yesterday as the temp had risen above 0° but through the night i had to put ot back on… that was just prior to throwing up, i went so cold and was shivering. Had to put it on again just now 4.15pm as i can feel the temp drop again and it will be about -3° tonight and for next few nights.

I had a coffee at 1.15pm as i couldn’t face a coffee first thing which is not like me at all and a bacon omelette at 2.30pm i have a thin sirloin and chicken wings for dinner and NO hard boiles eggs! Just enjoying some chicken stock which is warming me through along with a nice hot water bottle :blush:

Forgot to press reply :roll_eyes:

(Karen) #252

Ysterday went on the tram into Nottingham which was planned for tuesday but i wasn’t too grand but felt better yesterday. Had brunch in the shopping centre … only went in for Brown Ribbon from the market but the market had closed down… shows how long it has been since I went there… pre covid i think! Brunch was nice… the usual 2 eggs 2 sausage 2 bacon and added 2 bla k pudding.

Later when i got home, without Ribbon, i did some embelleshment on a crochet cardigan i had bought in charity shop the other day and altered a couple of cummerband belts and time had disappeared so dinner was very late for my liking … had 2 thin sirloin steaks and spicy chick wings.

I ate too late and was so wide awake when i was in bed that i went back downstairs and watched tv till about 3am so overslept this morning till 9.20am! Been tires today so qill hopefully sleep better tonight.

Had brunch at sally army 2 eggs 2 bacon and now at 4pm just opened tin of tuna chunks and have aome pork skin in oven for some crackling… i am hoping it turns out okay and nice and crunchy.

Nice photos :smiley: We lack light now so I didn’t even try. But I had nice meatballs (and leftover soup with pork. I prefer it with pork chuck, not the leanest pork I can find… oh well, protein. I remember liking lean pork in soup but not this time. Alvaro enjoyed his hen breast as always), I left some for Alvaro for tomorrow. I will eat fried pork but it will be wonderfully fatty. I need to make lard too (used up my little chicken fat for the meatballs) so I will have scratchings again, yay!
After my quite high-protein and surely somewhat higher-cal yesterday (and there were carbs too in the end), I am very satiated today and had smallish meals. I think. I don’t track but they seemed small.

(Karen) #254

The pork skin turnes out okay and crunchy and i got through 99% of it. Just had 2 beef burgers tho one was a bit too raw just hope it doesn’t come back up later!

Fiished off the day with sautèd mussels. I had o eat them as they were defrostet out of freezer and wouldn’t have been any good another day. Can’t see good food go to waste😉

(Judy Thompson) #255

Karen, hope you’re feeling better now! My daughter and her bf got home from a cruise this week and she has COVID now, 2nd time. She says it’s not as bad this time, no fever.

I’m getting ready to get things together for tonight’s gig, so just a quick one.
@Shinita I planned to make this ice cream with a bunch of yolks, for health. I read about an older lady who reversed macular degeneration with lots of yolks (for the lutein) and a carnivore diet. My vision is not bad though I wear glasses - but it was just a thought. The 2 whole egg ice cream is good though and I’m not wasting whites. 15 minutes from start to finish, so I’m going with that!
Tried the Otto grill on some sous vide chicken today. Pretty good. Yesterday was my birthday, and we had lunch out, but just my usual hamburger patty with cheese. Too much contraband on the plate to photograph!

Chicken, today

Chaffleburgers, Wednesday. Hamburger cooked too long on the little Otto… a minute would have been plenty.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) closed #256