No More Extra Salt For Me

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

From the lectures I’ve been watching (people like Dr. Phinney, the Drs. Eades, James Dinicolantonio, et al.), it appears that the “evidence” linking salt intake to high blood pressure is about as solid as the evidence linking saturated fat to heart disease.

It’s only anecdotal evidence, of course, but after a year of eating keto and increasing my salt intake, my blood pressure is finally down to a healthy level. Of course, I couldn’t tell you if my increased salt intake is doing anything more than compensating for the higher excretion rate we experience on a ketogenic diet, but the new research does seem to suggest that there is plenty of room for most people to increase salt without worrying about it.

I am reminded of the instructions on an electrolyte drink one company I worked for gave us on particularly hot days (the plant was not air-condistioned, so we had to be aware of the risk of heat stroke): “Drink until the solution stops tasting good.” I suspect that given how critical the level of salt is in our bloodstream, the body probably is good about stimulating cravings when we need salt, and making it taste unappetizing when we’ve had enough.

(Diana) #42

Wait what….if salt levels are low your insulin will go up which in effect will prevent fat burning wouldn’t it? I honestly do not salt food at all. I only eat any sodium that naturally comes in the meat (which is minimal), granted some sodium from mustard but again not much. Could I be causing insulin spikes due to low sodium intake?

I like the OP do not want to see water weight, I get it’s just water but still I don’t want to see the scale weight fluctuate like that as then I don’t know if I’m making progress or not.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

I’m afraid the scale is going to fluctuate, whether we want it to, or not. It’s just one of those things we can’t do anything about, except possibly to give the scale number a bit less weight in our thought processes. :grin:

I eventually stopped worrying about what my scale was telling me, because (1) one day, in the middle of my main fat loss, I suddenly weighed 20 lbs./9.1 kg less; and (2) a few months later, I suddenly weighed 30 lbs./13.6 kg more. In both cases, the fit of my clothing remained unaffected, but the scale consistently matched the new scale weight from those points on. In the first instance, my ongoing fat loss continued from the new, reduced level; in the second, it proceeded from the new, higher level, and it was a month or so before I was back to the weight before the jump. That kind of inconsistency helped me stop weighing myself obsessively, especially since I had done nothing different to cause such large jumps.

(Edith) #44

You need to go by how you feel. If you feel fine with low sodium, then your intake may be fine for you. If you are having aches and pains, muscle cramps, headaches, heart palpitations, or poor sleep, you may need to up your salt.

(Bob M) #45

I’m sure there are many factors. Lately, I’ve been sweating a ton. Came back from jogging the other day drenched in sweat. My normal body weight workouts are now affairs assisted by many dabs of a towel. For me, I must add salt to my food and take in extra salt, or I get cramps. If extra salt causes higher insulin, then so be it, because cramps are tough.

(Diana) #46

From what a poster above said it was the lower sodium may cause insulin to raise. Not sure if it’s correct or not this is why I asked. So you should be fine.

(Diana) #47

I get it……but I don’t trust myself to know it’s just water. Mind plays tricks……

I want to try to add back in a little bit of salt to see how I feel. If there is a difference. I’m thinking if I increase by 100mg of sodium every few days then perhaps the body can adjust and there won’t be a huge bump in scale. I guess I’ll try and see….

(Diana) #48

No I’ll effects that I’m aware of. Possibly poor sleep, I sleep a good 8 hrs but it’s mostly light sleep from what the Fitbit states (which I know accuracy isn’t great)….I get muscle knots in my back but that’s posture related, can’t imagine it could be impacted by salt.

I just got concerned with what someone above said that I could be causing insulin to increase due to lack of salt.

(Robin) #49

We share the same boat. Well, not the jogging. But need that extra salt (and mag) or the cramps come on, mostly at night.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

You are actually less likely to retain water by getting the proper amount of salt, which according to a couple of recent studies is 4-6 grams of sodium, or 10-15 grams of sodium chloride, a day (from all sources, including salt already present in food). This was the range in which people seemed to have the the fewest health problems, at any rate. Salt is tightly regulated, and if you eat a tad too much, it will simply be excreted, along with a bit of water. (This is why people get constipated if they don’t eat enough salt.)

Also, drink to thirst, not to some sport drink manufacturer’s recommendation. Several marathon runners have ended up hospitalised (or even dead) from overhydrating during races.

(Bob M) #51

Yeah, I’ve seen Amber O’Hearn say that salt leads to higher insulin and also nocturia (going to the bathroom at night). But when I start having cramps, either at night (not great) or during movements in my home “gym”, I start increasing salt. Typically magnesium, too. I’ll drink pickle juice or olive brine if I have them. Or just increase salt, sometimes even putting salt under my tongue.

(Diana) #52

Okay. I’ll give a try with small gradual increases. Hopefully that gives body time to adjust and not hold onto water weight.