No longer insulin resistant!

I’ve thought about posting this news for a couple of weeks but life gets in the way. :slight_smile:

I see an endocrinologist regularly for a non-Diabetes condition that I have. Because my mom had Type 2 diabetes, the endocrinologist started also checking A1C last year (I get blood work every 3 months because 1 of the meds I take can be hard on your liver). Anyway, last October, my A1C was 5.8. At the time, the doctor pretty much said (not these exact words, but this was the gyst of it), “Watch out! Try to keep your A1C lower. You’re insulin resistant now & you could end up w/Type 2 diabetes like your mom had.”

At the end of December, husband & I switched to a keto diet after getting inspired from friends of ours who have been very successful with it. I had blood work done in January & about a week later, saw the endocrinologist. By the time I saw the endo Dr, I’d lost about 15 lb. He was thrilled that my A1C went from 5.8 to 5.6. And was even more thrilled with the weight loss. I told him that I’m on a really low carb diet and he said, “Low carb? Oh good! That’s very good. It’ll keep your insulin levels low & your blood sugar more stable.” Fasting blood sugar was 80.

I go back to see him again in April. It’ll be interesting to see how my numbers change at that point! Now I’m at about 20 lb total lost. Still plenty more to go, but the fact that my A1C is now officially in a normal range is just stinking fabulous!

(Raj Seth) #2

A1c is a great test, but like all other medical tests, the actual results are individual at some level. If your red blood cells are longer lived, you will have a higher A1c with the same average blood sugar than if your cells are shorter lived. the A1c level vs. correlation to average blood sugar levels is based on averages.

Changes in A1c are much more meaningful - so lowering A1c - WooHoo! It will keep self regulating - KCKO

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #3

Congrats on the NSV. It takes a weight off of your shoulders when you are healthier and not worrying about diabetes.

(Cindy) #4

Excellent! You started keto late December, had blood drawn some time in January. Did I read that right? So that’s not even a 3 month keto A1C average. I bet it’s even better at your next blood draw!

(Janelle) #5

Just curious as to whether your doc actually diagnosed your insulin resistance? (Edited to say - I mean other than your A1C?) I’ve been on keto since the end of September - so about 4 months. My doctor and I believe I’m insulin resistant (high bp, larger waist size, highish cholesterol, skin tags) but my A1C was pretty normal at 4.8. A year ago, My fasting glucose was 97. I don’t test but I just had my bloodwork done this week and am waiting on results. I requested an insulin level this time to get a more complete picture.

It’s awesome you’re making progress. I know my IR isn’t cured after 4 months though. It’ll take some time.

(Bob M) #6

Your (morning) fasting blood glucose may go UP on a low carb diet. However, your overall blood sugar will go down.

For IR, what are your HDL and triglycerides? Usually, these are good markers for IR.

Also, fasting insulin is OK, but can be variable. Mine is all over the map, for reasons I don’t understand (eg, fasting insulin went UP while HbA1c went DOWN).

The dr didn’t order an insulin level test, so I don’t know what that # is at the moment.

Don’t know yet what my HDL and triglycerides are. Don’t have a PCP yet since we moved to this area a couple of months ago.

(Doug) #9

Nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mine was 90, in the evening after fasting for 5 days. :neutral_face: Not really broken up about it; much improved from the past. Sure would like an 80, though. :sunglasses:

Congrats also on finding an excellent doctor who’s with the program.

Related question: Is there a directory anywhere for doctors who won’t reflexively tell me that a low-carb diet will kill me?

Have a look at these https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/doctors

Thanks – slim pickins where I live, but I guess it’s going to take some time.

(Todd Batitis) #13

Congrats. I hada similar thing this past week but don’t wanna hijack your thread. Keep up the good work!