No Longer Diabetic!

(Melissa R. Knive) #1

I don’t see a “Celebration” thread so I’ll put it here:

I just came back home from my doctor and I AM NO LONGER DIABETIC!!!

My A1C has gone from a high of 6.8 and is now a beautiful 5.2!!!

During my Keto and Fasting adventure and struggle, Dr. Fung, Megan Ramos, and the fantastic 2 Keto Dudes have been with me!!! There were times when I didn’t know if I was going to make it… I wanted to give up… but I’d just listen to the podcasts again and again as I fell asleep trying not to give in to my sweet tooth… and now I’ve DONE IT!!!

Keep calm & KETO ON my friends!!! You will experience a day like mine, too!!!

(Doug) #2

:sunglasses: Magnificent improvement. :slightly_smiling_face: The whole insulin/ketogenic eating/getting better thing really does work.

(Ellen) #3

Amazing! Sending you a virtual high five :laughing:

(Bob M) #4

That is an impressive improvement!

(Carl Keller) #5

Great news Melissa!

I’m curious to know if your doctor is aware that keto got you to where you are?

(Kristen Ann) #6

Great work!

(Lori) #7

Hey Melissa! Great job!! I too am no longer Type 2 Diabetic. I started at 7.6 and also at 5.2! My Dr fully supported my KETO decision and now is looking into it for herself as she has several of her patients with our similar results! WAY TO GO!!

Congratulations on your success!

Sorry to be a killjoy, but you’re probably still a diabetic. It’s just that keto is successfully treating your diabetes.

As a T2 diabetic myself, before keto my A1c was 7.3 while I was using both insulin and metformin. On keto, it’s been as low as 5.2 without any diabetes medications.

But I am STILL a T2 diabetic. If I stopped the keto WOE, I’d need to use medications again. Probably sooner rather than later. At this point, the big question for me is what things is diabetes still doing to my body, even though I have the blood sugar symptoms under control?

Wow. I am tremendously happy for you! That’s a milestone and a great accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

(Laurie) #10

You are amazing, and an inspiration! Congratulations on what you’ve achieved.

(Melissa R. Knive) #11

Yup, and he’s fully supportive!!!

What wonderful news! That’s really fabulous! Congratulations!!!

(Melissa R. Knive) #13

When you find something that works, getting your excitement tempered is just annoying. Sometimes it’s important to just let each other be happy. I’m no longer diabetic… there’s always someone in the sea of “Congratulations!” that someone throws cold water on it by saying… “Hey, yeah, that’s ok for now…”.

I get what your saying… I knew it before… just be happy for me, please.

(Central Florida Bob ) #14

I’ll be happy for you. I’ll be happy for @Lojack3468 and everyone else who has gotten their A1C down into the normal range.

You can say you’re non-diabetic, and since diabetes is defined by blood sugar levels, I say you aren’t!

I’m the only one in my family that isn’t diabetic because I started keto to prevent it. My A1C got close but never went over the line where they start calling you diabetic. I’m working on my brother to get his down; so far from about 9 to 7, but he’s still taking drugs and more importantly not taking keto seriously enough. Next I’ve got to work on my nephew.

Congratulations!

(NADIA GOODMAN) #16

:+1::+1::+1::clap::clap::clap::clap:

(Chris) #17

CONGRATS on your success!!! And don’t fret - it’s the high blood sugar levels that cause the damage and many of the associated problems. Keeping your blood sugar down is 9/10ths of the solution, and will lead you to even better lifestyle choices (like regular exercise!).
Yes, if you go back to toxic eating habits, you will once again “be diabetic”, and yes, because diabetes is a complex disease, you could still develop high blood sugar and need to control it with medication. But if you keep ketoing, the chances of this happening are GREATLY lower.
So CELEBRATE!!! :tada: you’ve done your body, health, and life a huge favor!!!

A massive congratulations. Must be a great feeling. Well done

(Chris) #19

Oh, one more note - remember that your A1C is only an average. The spikes above 140 are what’s damaging. Perhaps get a blood glucose meter, and take your levels at different times under different conditions, so that you’re familiar with how your body reacts to various foods, exercise (or lack thereof!!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), stress, etc. Keeping your blood glucose within a healthy range will help keep those nasty diabetes problems at bay.

(Yvonne Cuenin) #20

Congrats. That is something to be proud of. I just had my A1c done and I went from 6.7 down to 6.0 Almost thereand my triglycerides were cut in half along with a driop in cholesterol. Kudoos to us​:+1::+1:

(Cary) #22

Right there with y’all! A1C was a high of 13.9. Begged doc not to put on insulin, put me on metformin instead. Took this for over year before starting Keto last Sept. Nov 28th went have annual blood work done and A1C was 5.0 after 3 months on Keto and no meds since Oct. Starting weight was 254.6 lbs now 189 lbs. Keto has changed my life!