No! Grass fed is NOT a keto rule

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #190

Brown a steak, offend a vegan… win-win.

I’ve taken to calling a charred burger with bacon and brie the Ornish Nightmare.

(Ken) #191

Hmmmm. Let’s review the last several decades of mythology from the anti meat Vegetarian/Vegan nuttjobs. Feel free to add one’s I missed.

Vegetarianism is “Natural and Healthy”. A denial of both Evolution and Biochemistry.

Saturated animal fat will give you Heart Disease.

There is a pound of undigested meat in your colon.

Cow farts cause climate change.

Grilling meat causes both climate change and cancer.

Meat production is inefficient and a waste of resources, despite vegetarianism requiring vastly more resources per calorie of food produced.

Grazing destroys the environment.

Feeding cattle grain is evil. Grass fed beef is more healthy.

Those are just the ones that popped into my head. IMO, all are designed to demonize and discourage meat eating in general and support the Veggie sociopolitical agenda.

I would be more concerned about the meat sitting for hours/days in contact with a warm plastic bag, while floating in the sous vide.

Yes, I know that it should be food safe plastic, but still, I wonder…

(Brian) #193

Silicone bags may be more to your liking. Or there might even be some ways of using glass to get the job done.

(matt ) #194

You cannot use glass…you need the vacuum and the water in full contact with the food.

That’s what Sous-Vide means.

I started with Ziplock bags and moved over to vacuum sealer as you can go right from the store to the freezer to the sous vide.

(Brian) #195

But there are a few people who’ve mentioned cooking things like a custard in glass jars, a lot like a water bath canning type of thing.

I have wondered whether a person could do something similar with a bigger glass container and perhaps use something like broth as a medium in the glass container to provide for even heating of whatever is being cooked.

Yes, not technically sous vide, but still something I’ve wondered about. For the time being, I’m cooking in plastic ziplock bags.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #196

I thought eggs could be done in glass jars.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #197

There are many SV uses for mason jars, like custards, eggs, confiture…

I wouldn’t use them for things that are not largely liquid and conform to the bag.

Vacuum is not a requirement. Some things (vegetables) are better without a seal on the bag.

(matt ) #198

Right you are…sorry I was thinking about meat when I commented. Maybe you can cook meat in a jar…who knows.

Even with an unsealed bag (vegetables) the water pressure is pushing most of the water out and putting the bag in contact with the food. Cant’ do that in glass.

(matt ) #199

They are…I was thinking about meats…apologies.

(matt ) #200

I was thinking about meats…apologies. I guess you could put meat in a glass container full of some liquid…never anything I have thought about. Now here I am thinking about it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #201

Red meat causes diabetes!

Saturated fat causes heart disease!

Beef contains sugar that is very bad for you. (Read that in an article someone just posted here.)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #202

Pates and rilettes would work in jars I think.

But I use a lot of zip lock freezer bags. Quarts, gallons, two gallons.

(Brian) #203

LOL!! No worries, Matt. It’s fun to think out of the box from time to time. If whatever it was, maybe a chunk of meat of the right shape, we were cooking was contained within a brine or broth of some kind, that would lend itself to good heat conductivity so we could still do the low n slow cooking sous vide style. Among other things, I was envisioning a 2quart wide-mouth canning jar as being a possible candidate.

Gotta daydream a little sometimes. Who knows, might come up with a really good idea… someday. LOL!!

:slight_smile:

(GINA ) #204

Why in the world would anyone build a big, expensive barn to house beef cattle that could live outside? Why would you feed them grain when they could eat free grass? (except during winter in snow country, when there’s no grass and they feed hay)

‘Conventional’ cattle are raised on grass, then finished on grain. Anything else doesn’t make economic sense, even if the rancher gives zero cares about anything else.

I have this much >> << knowledge of farming and ranching and can’t believe the stuff I hear sometimes. I overheard a 20-something in a restaurant telling her friend that she would only eat margarine because cows are in cages hooked to milking machines 24 hours per day so butter is ‘mean.’ :roll_eyes:

Guess what? Unhappy cows don’t milk as much. So even if the dairy farmer didn’t give one whit about his livestock, it wouldn’t make economic sense. Cows walk themselves to the barn twice per day to be milked, then back outside they go. Some of the yards are smelly and muddy, but the cows are NOT in cages all day. I worked with a guy whose family owned a huge dairy. He often came to work talking about the worker he fired because he wasn’t nice enough to the cows. The commercial is true, great milk comes from happy cows.

(Ken) #205

When I was younger twice a year I’d spend a week on my Grandmother’s farm. I always helped my Uncle do “chores” twice a day. He had a feedlot to fatten cattle, as well as a hog house. The cattle were not confined to the feedlot, but roamed the pasture and the picked cornfields. Believe me, they were no fools. Whenever it was time for their evil, unhealthy, abusive feeding of corn, cattle feed and silage they came a running at full speed!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #206

[/rant on]

Ken, that’s a lovely anecdote, but chinchillas are notorious for gorging on food that will make them sick (diabetic, etc.), though they will not overeat their chinchilla chow. Likewise, my pet rats love stuff that’s not healthy for them. You should see them fight over a pizza crust, when I don’t break it up into enough pieces for everyone! Or over a bowl of whipped cream! They sure don’t fight over their lab blocks. In fact, anyone who’s cared for animals knows that they, like people, can crave stuff that’s actually bad for them.

Think about this: in one experiment, rats who were given a choice actually chose sugar over cocaine, and both over their well-balanced, nutritious rat chow. So just because the cows you saw go for that stuff doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good for them— to be fair, it might not be as bad for them as some people make out, either. The point is that stories—otherwise known as “anecdotal evidence”—don’t necessarily lead to true knowledge.

[/rant off]

(Ken) #207

Now, it doesn’t mean it’s bad for them either. So, you’ve answered my anecdote with your own. Guess what? My dogs are enthusiastic whenever I give them a treat, as long as it’s tasty. They don’t respond as well to fruit and veggies, compared to meat and fat.

My real point was that feedlots are far from inhumane or abusive, and that to believe they are is falling for a False Narrative.

I wonder what a fat Chinchilla tastes like?

(Lauren) #208

I’m just going to jump in here and say:

I lived and worked on a beef cattle ranch for 3 years in South Dakota. My husband grew up on that ranch and, other than 4 years in the military, worked it until he was 36yrs old.

We raised and sold what the industry labels as “grass fed” beef, though we didn’t specifically market it that way, some vendors we sold to did. The cattle spent all summer on this:

This is one view from the butte on the ranch. But it’s South Dakota. There’s no grass in the winter, so they are fed in a feed lot (safer for everyone. Blizzards) a variety of hays and silage grown by us. So yeah, at least in the USA, grass-fed does not mean JUST grass forever and ever.

(Chris) #209

Sweet baby jesus that’s some sweet lookin cow food.