No free lunch in nature, could this be it?

(David Kirker) #1

If this is legit, it seems like a good jump start for those with severe obesity. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Electrical muscle stimulation is nothing new. And no, it’s not a free lunch.

Not a substitute for actually moving your body.

Move your body, lift heavy things. Repeat.

Sorry. There aren’t any shortcuts.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

As for the question of whether this not be useful for the severely obese, while it might arguably enable someone who can’t move much to get some muscle stimulation, it’s not going to solve their obesity.

Even vigorous exercise isn’t sufficient for weight loss. And electro stimulation isn’t even vigorous.

It would be great if there was an easier jump start, but I don’t think this is it.

(David Kirker) #4

I wasn’t thinking of this for weight loss. Exercise is a very poor way to lose weight. I was thinking of it as a gateway to real world exercise.

(ManMythLegend) #5

If you want a gateway to “real world exercise” your best bet is… walking. Just get out and take a stroll. As you get fitter, take that stroll up to a speed walk and then start adding distance. That is one of the gentlest ways to get yourself ramped up to “real world exercise”. I use a “muscle stimulator” as a nonnarcotic pain reliever and I can tell you from experience that my core is not any stronger from using it. If it worked my lower back and buttocks would be RIPPED by now!

('Jackie P') #6

Hi! I have lost 3 stone on keto these past 8 months and now I am looking to ramp up the exercise and get this last 2 stone off! Also in a way that doesnt make me look like a burst balloon! Im 60 and not springing back like I used too!
I have been doing Pilates and walking but I have spoken to some nursing colleagues who are doing electro muscle stimulation (ESM) they look amazing and Im determined to try it when I get back from Australia at the end of February.
I see it had some negative feedback from members a few years back and wondered if anyone had changed their minds?

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #7

As a fat woman, I feel that walking is the way to go. I have never heard of anyone actually using these things and losing weight or getting fitter.

('Jackie P') #8

Im a nurse in a busy hospital and it seems to be the latest craze and some of my colleagues are looking amazing - not so much losing weight - that’s what keto is for - just losing inches and increasing flexibility.
I have a free voucher and determined to try it. Will let you know how I get on!
I do walk and am generally quite fit just a bit flabby round the edges :thinking: