NO Difference between Low Carb and Low Fat

(Tom Seest) #21

It is not statistically significant when it doesn’t fit the narrative…But, you knew that already…

(Ethan) #22

If the sample size is small, 10% can be within the margin of error.

(Jeanne Wagner) #23

I just read this from a link in Dr. Fung’s twitter account this morning. I was still concerned that they ‘concluded’ that carbs (what kind of carbs and how many?) didn’t spike insulin per se. Whut? We can see it in our own blood glucose test strips. (Well maybe it doesn’t have a lasting effect?) I keep thinking if I won ‘the big one’ I’d love to fund a keto study, done RIGHT. The gold standard, 5 yrs+ or however long it needed to take to put some real teeth into it.

There was another article I read about a study that a 2 month gold standard trial ended up with results that low-carb and low-fat produced basically the same weight loss (low-carb produced 2 lbs weight loss more I think). A whole two months. After the article spend a lot of time saying how this should hurt the low-carb movement greatly, it uses the last sentence of the article to say we should all concentrate on food quality vs. quantity. These types of studies makes me think they are now directed to try to specifically debunk low-carb diets. I’m trying to find it again on my Twitter feed and it’s buried. :frowning:

Am I taking it too personally? I feel like I’ve found my mecca with Keto and fasting, but now the researchers are trying to prove it’s not worthy? My results speak for themselves. I’m KCandKO.

(ianrobo) #24

Well your last point is key and difficult not to be evangelical over this and why every study has to be assessed in the same whether good or bad for what we belive

(Jeanne Wagner) #25

True. I do feel pretty evangelical about it. :wink: It still doesn’t change the fact that these studies don’t seem to test for ‘actual’ low carb, or ‘real’ keto, frequently using oils for fats that we know are bad. They still want one size fits all and it just doesn’t work. The public at large are going to listen to these synopses, and not read into the data or detail. AND they don’t know the keto way, so they don’t realize it’s bunk. But it didn’t say Keto, it say low carb. So yeah… I’m just glad I can start to decipher these studies better and pay attention to the parameters used. I used to be one of ‘them,’ believing every stupid study and getting really confused, now I’m getting better educated. Long way to go though.

(ianrobo) #26

well a couple of anti Keto people jumped win this straightaway in twitter so called scientists and yet did nothing of the study of this as some have done above … this is an attempt at a LC vs LF diet but I guess a factor is adherence … but then there is motivation.

(Adam Kirby) #27

Hey if someone can eat a low fat diet and have good satiety and adherence, more power to them. To me that’s the gold standard - results+satiety. To be as fair as possible to low fat diets, the shitty low fat food-like products that we have been told to eat since the 80s, are not the same thing as a traditional low fat diet like the Japanese ate. Granted I think low carb is a lot more palatable but that’s just me.

(ianrobo) #28

well wouldn’t we like to see the actual food diaries eh ?

the carbohydrate apologists are coming out of the woodwork for this one. I feel like I will never figure out why some people think its so important to “not blame carbs” and make sure people eat potatoes, corn, bread, pasta and rice.

there’s zero downside to a truly low carb diet, why the resistance?

(Ethan) #30

nice pun!

(ianrobo) #31

I think that is simple enough and people have a dogma and can not break free from it or otherwise it would destroy what they said for years.

It is way Tim Noakes is so damn impressive, he did that because he went by the evidence and his own N=1 …

(Michele) #32

Indeed many non scale victories generate repeated behaviour in regards to maintaining the WOE - being able to walk, climb hills etc
However eating keto is a pretty satisfying way to eat and doesn’t leave you feeling as though you are constantly deprived and hungry.

(ianrobo) #33

but these people tell us Carbs are VITAL and when you confront them with this you get nothing back.

Sorry to mention my cycling here but without eating that many carbs just how did I do a 4 hour climb, it is madness to suggest that …

(Candy Lind) #34

[rant]
I picked up THIS LINK & was about to post.

As a person who has constantly battled my weight, I look at this and yell “BUT THEY’RE STILL NOT LOOKING AT THE RIGHT THINGS!” Hormone derangement is what matters. And they certainly appear not to care if the weight loss “stuck,” which IMO should be a real focus. Who CARES if they all lost the same 12-15 pounds last year, if they were hungry and unhappy, and why didn’t they monitor for even 3 months to see how many of the subjects had already gained all of it back, if not more? DO THESE ASSHOLES WANT TO TALK ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY?? LET’S TALK ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Sorry, folks, this says nothing to me but that they’re a bunch of prize chimps trying to see who can fling their bananas the farthest with the most splatter. Any study is a complete waste of money unless it looks at the end benefit to the subjects. After all, that SHOULD be why they are performing the study, is it not? [end rant]

(Tom Seest) #35

Technically, it probably wasn’t a waste of money because it allowed them to produce headlines (misleading) to satisfy their agendas. But, I definitely see your point. From a “really trying to determine what is happening” standpoint, this one fails the smell test.

(Jeanne Wagner) #36

Here! Here!!!

(Matthew) #37

100 grams of carbs = 2 bagels (40+40) and 3 mini size milky way bars (6g each) every day. Not even close to low carb.

(ianrobo) #38

But Tom NUSI were involved in this one so did they get it wrong or were forced to accept this, ie. who funded it ?

(Tom Seest) #39

I wonder if NUSI’s level of quality oversight was lacking…But, I guess we will never know…

They have managed to define “Healthy Low Carb” in a new way, that I had never considered…So, this is at least thought provoking…

(ianrobo) #40

well thats the thing Tom not seen anything from Taubes so if someone has that would be good to read. His twitter feed says this but think is an attempt at spin given that the way it was spun was not great for him.