No dairy on keto?

(Wendy) #81

Very interesting! Thanks for the resource.

(Susan) #82

I am glad that you got it all figured out and are feeling better now, Wendy =). That is great.

I eat cheddar cheese because it tastes good and the fat fills me up. I have no idea what people mean by inflammation. Maybe I am blessed by my English genes.

(Edith) #84

Dairy gives me itchy bumps in my scalp and joint pain. Inflammation.

(Bob M) #85

Why do you think that’s inflammation and not allergy?

(Edith) #86

I’ve been tested for food allergy. I don’t have any to dairy. With that being said, the skin prick test doesn’t check for delayed symptoms.

Plus, when it makes my joints hurt, they feel swollen. I would call that inflammation.

(Bob M) #87

I’m not sure that’s inflammation. That’s most likely allergic, since that’s most likely an attack of your body on your joints.

Unfortunately, any searches I do appear to get vegan/vegetarian “all animal products are bad for you” garbage. I’ll have to look later.

And this is a pet peeve of mine – no one can tell me what “inflammation” is. I can’t test it with blood tests, at least none anyone can tell me. I can’t test via joint pain, as I don’t get any with dairy (or if I do, I can’t tell). It might just be that “dairy” (and this covers a lot, and I don’t eat much of what it covers) does not affect me. Or maybe dairy affects me, and I haven’t found a test that indicates how.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #88

As far as I know, the markers of inflammation are white blood cell count (WBC), C-reactive protein (CRP), ferritin, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), and plasma viscosity (PV). HbA1C and fasting insulin also provide information.

Distinguishing acute inflammation (say from an infection) from chronic systemic infection (say from elevated insulin) would perhaps be tricky, but my guess is that if WBC is elevated but CRP and ferritin are low, then it’s more likely to be acute rather than chronic, and so forth. If HbA1C, fasting insulin, and C-peptide are good (meaning you are not insulin-resistant), then it is probably safe to guess that elevated markers of inflammation mean you’re fighting something off.

(Tony ) #89

Almond milk, I consider it poison ( and it’s plantations are destroying the planet )

too funny! first thing I zero’d in on was that egg HA

(Bob M) #91

I don’t know about EST or PV, but every other one of those is very low for me, and that’s eating “dairy”.

In fact, I’ve taken it upon myself to eat as much dairy as I can lately. Now, most of it is A2 dairy (sheep, goat milk), but some of it isn’t (or may not be - A1/A2 is not written on the side of the container).

And I’ll be darned if I can find a detriment.

I’ve seen people say that if they have any dairy, they get huge amounts of inflammation, but I cannot recreate that. So, maybe whatever they have, I don’t.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #92

I wouldn’t expect you to react; there’s a lot of individual variation in this, and I suspect the people with the problem are a minority, albeit a fairly large one.

Remember to distinguish between lactose intolerance on the one hand, and reactions to milk proteins (casein, etc.) on the other. The latter reactions can be inflammatory. But while lactose intolerance in adulthood is the human genetic default, by no means does everyone have a problem with milk proteins.

(Edith) #93

I have issues with dairy. I can’t handle any, not even ghee. For me it’s the proteins, not the lactose.

Did eliminating dairy increase your weight loss?

(Minh Nguyen) #95

Like others, hard to give up cheese as it adds wonderful flavor to the restricting keto(vore) diet that meat or vegetables cannot offer. My cheese stock usually comprises 5-6 types at any time.

That said, anecdotally, I do feel my skin gets a bit rougher if I overeat the cheese.

Essentially, what we want to avoid are non-organic products and perhaps hormones naturally produced by the mother cows. I buy organic milk to resolve the first problem, but not sure if hormones remain in hard cheese after aging.

For those who love milk, whipping cream and cream cheese, I make yogurt in the ratio of 1 milk to 1 whipping cream. The yogurt tastes excellent, tangy and very satiating after the main meal. The 24 hour fermentation will remove most, if not all, lactose, so the final product becomes even more keto and consumable for the lactose intolerant.