No dairy on keto?

Dairy causing overeating, it’s obviously very individual. Some people automatically eat the same amount of calories, almost no matter what they eat as everything satiate them very similarly - they don’t have that.
I can’t test it with cheese as no way I could eat much of it. But low-protein dairy definitely makes me eat more as they don’t satiate me at all. Butter, cream - I don’t exactly avoid them but I do my best to keep the amount low most of the time, I do this with all added fat and sugary things. Cream is very “bad” as it has both sugar and fat and very little protein and it’s even delicious and easy to eat. While it can’t help with satiation. I never particularly liked yogurt, I rarely ate kefir, its sour sibling (nice but it’s basically water with sugar in my eyes, not much fat, not much protein, I don’t often eat such stuff) - but now the lots of sugar (lactose) annoys me in it, I preferred it definitely NOT sweet so it lost all its charm.
So I enjoy my tiny dairy, preferably my beloved zerocarb half-hard cheese but even heavy and sour cream in moderation… I can afford a little amount and I enjoy the hell out of them. My body never complains if I do this. But if I poured generous amounts of cream into my coffee as some people do, I would feel some subtle unpleasantness and I like to listen to the subtle nudges of my body - unless the temptation is too great and that wins (fortunately my tastebuds prefer the tiny amount of cream anyway and I drink black coffee in my typically long fasting window).
But my cheese never felt bad.

(Wendy) #75

Yep! I was diagnosed dairy protein allergy. Tried everything thinking it was a lactose intolerance. Unfortunately dairy is out for me. Although I feel much better. And no longer have skin eruptions. And the acid reflux is under control.

(Laurie) #76

I’m glad you got that figured out! And that you feel better. Thank you for letting us know.

I’m trying to gain weight and recently started experimenting with including milk after workout. I’m not sure why milk, I just really wanted to drink milk.

So I started drinking 1L of goat milk after gym. I think it helps in my recovery.

I was expecting it will kick me out of ketosis (45g of sugar), but I was suprised to see that my blood glucose mesured 30 min and 1 hour after drinking it stays in the 4.6 - 4.9 range. I assume I’m still in ketosis then??

(Wendy) #78

Goat milk is very tolerable for me. I choose not to drink or use it due to the like 14g of sugar. It has. Not sure what fresh from the goat is? But if it works for you and gives you that boost and your at your weight range. Much better choice than Cow milk.
My parents got goats when I was a baby cause I couldn’t tolerate cow milk. Back then I dont think Soy was an option.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #79

As I determined here, a normal and healthy metabolism maintains normal glucose levels during ketosis. You’re measuring the wrong thing but unfortunately we can’t measure insulin at home. It’s very possible that whatever amount of glucose resulted from your goat milk did not cause a sufficient rise in insulin to stop ketosis. It’s also possible that the goat milk took longer than 1 hour to digest into glucose and stimulate an insulin rise. So I suggest you repeat your experiment and measure glucose every 30 minutes for 4 hours. I don’t think warranted your conclusion that ketosis was unaffected. Maybe not. And if so maybe for only a few hours. But you need to test your glucose for longer than an hour. Also, it would be much better to test for ketones directly since there’s no known direct correlation between glucose levels and ketone levels other than high glucose probably means low/no ketones. You won’t necessarily get high glucose if insulin packs it away as it’s digested. If you are normally insulin sensitive then insulin won’t rise much either, and not affect ketosis much.

(Bob M) #80

You might have an A1 protein problem, but not an A2 protein problem.

https://www.authoritydiet.com/a1-vs-a2-cows-milk-what-difference-benefits-nutrition/

(Wendy) #81

Very interesting! Thanks for the resource.

(Susan) #82

I am glad that you got it all figured out and are feeling better now, Wendy =). That is great.

I eat cheddar cheese because it tastes good and the fat fills me up. I have no idea what people mean by inflammation. Maybe I am blessed by my English genes.

(Edith) #84

Dairy gives me itchy bumps in my scalp and joint pain. Inflammation.

(Bob M) #85

Why do you think that’s inflammation and not allergy?

(Edith) #86

I’ve been tested for food allergy. I don’t have any to dairy. With that being said, the skin prick test doesn’t check for delayed symptoms.

Plus, when it makes my joints hurt, they feel swollen. I would call that inflammation.

(Bob M) #87

I’m not sure that’s inflammation. That’s most likely allergic, since that’s most likely an attack of your body on your joints.

Unfortunately, any searches I do appear to get vegan/vegetarian “all animal products are bad for you” garbage. I’ll have to look later.

And this is a pet peeve of mine – no one can tell me what “inflammation” is. I can’t test it with blood tests, at least none anyone can tell me. I can’t test via joint pain, as I don’t get any with dairy (or if I do, I can’t tell). It might just be that “dairy” (and this covers a lot, and I don’t eat much of what it covers) does not affect me. Or maybe dairy affects me, and I haven’t found a test that indicates how.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #88

As far as I know, the markers of inflammation are white blood cell count (WBC), C-reactive protein (CRP), ferritin, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), and plasma viscosity (PV). HbA1C and fasting insulin also provide information.

Distinguishing acute inflammation (say from an infection) from chronic systemic infection (say from elevated insulin) would perhaps be tricky, but my guess is that if WBC is elevated but CRP and ferritin are low, then it’s more likely to be acute rather than chronic, and so forth. If HbA1C, fasting insulin, and C-peptide are good (meaning you are not insulin-resistant), then it is probably safe to guess that elevated markers of inflammation mean you’re fighting something off.

(Tony ) #89

Almond milk, I consider it poison ( and it’s plantations are destroying the planet )

too funny! first thing I zero’d in on was that egg HA

(Bob M) #91

I don’t know about EST or PV, but every other one of those is very low for me, and that’s eating “dairy”.

In fact, I’ve taken it upon myself to eat as much dairy as I can lately. Now, most of it is A2 dairy (sheep, goat milk), but some of it isn’t (or may not be - A1/A2 is not written on the side of the container).

And I’ll be darned if I can find a detriment.

I’ve seen people say that if they have any dairy, they get huge amounts of inflammation, but I cannot recreate that. So, maybe whatever they have, I don’t.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #92

I wouldn’t expect you to react; there’s a lot of individual variation in this, and I suspect the people with the problem are a minority, albeit a fairly large one.

Remember to distinguish between lactose intolerance on the one hand, and reactions to milk proteins (casein, etc.) on the other. The latter reactions can be inflammatory. But while lactose intolerance in adulthood is the human genetic default, by no means does everyone have a problem with milk proteins.

(Edith) #93

I have issues with dairy. I can’t handle any, not even ghee. For me it’s the proteins, not the lactose.