No.1 Prescribed medicine

(Richard M) #1

Found this website and i am sure this is not a shock to anyone.

(bulkbiker) #2

No wonder then that Pharma are more concerned with keeping us sick rather than getting us better.

(Richard M) #3

(UsedToBeT2D) #4

Yes, and I was on most of them before Keto. Now I take none. Sorry Big Pharma.

(Deb) #5

I worked as a pharmacy tech for 6 months. I was so disheartened that most of what I filled was for type 2 diabetes. I just wanted to shake people and tell them what I know but you can’t do that. Most would rather take a pill anyways, than have to go e up carbs/ sugar. Very sad.

(Central Florida Bob ) #6

I’ve had this cartoon for a year, I think. The other day a little voice in my head said, “do you think the supplement industry is any different?”

So I had to look up just how big the dietary supplement market is.

Blockquote
The global vitamins and supplements market is anticipated to grow from $129.60 billion in 2021 to $196.56 billion in 2028 at a CAGR of 6.13% in the forecast period… Read More at:- https://www.fortunebusinessinsights.com/vitamins-and-supplements-market-104051

I don’t really know how to scale that to compare it to the Pharma industry. One of the problems with that kind of comparison we never see real prices on prescription drugs, just like we never see the real price of anything done in the medical world.

Once drugs go off prescription to over the counter (if they can) the price drops drastically. I have allergies that I got a prescription eye drop called Pataday for. My portion of the price of a 90 day supply (three bottles) was over $100. That was after insurance paid part of the bill. It went OTC last year. Now I buy two bottles (two month’s worth) for less than $25. So three bottles went from over $100 to me, and some cost to my insurance provider, to about $37.

But still, an interesting graphic. I’m surprised Metformin is down at #6. The only ones of those I take are #8, metoprolol, for Afib not blood pressure, and #9, Prilosec (the OTC version).

(Bob M) #7

This is absolutely true, and is a travesty.

As for supplements, it’s difficult to know what to say. While I still take some supplements (magnesium, zinc, iodine…that’s it right now), it’s incredibly difficult to judge the industry. For instance, berberine, which I’ve taken in the past. If I order this online, how can be assured I actually get a high quality berberine? I can’t.

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

Ever seen the joke that when you buy herbal products online, they fill the capsules with the clippings from mowing their lawn? How do you know, indeed?

Every time in my life I’ve taken supplements to improve some aspect of life or help get over the flu or something, I think what it has done is given me expensive urine.

Back in September, when I whacked off the tip of my right index finger, the surgeon who reattached it recommended Biotin for helping grow out the injured nail. I told her I’d done an experiment before to see if I could strengthen my nails for guitar playing and found no difference. But I bought a bottle of a megadose of Biotin (333x the RDA) anyway, because the last time I just took the RDA. No difference that I can see.

(Bob M) #9

What might work for that is collagen peptides, though with those, it’s easy to see that it’s at least something that looks and tastes like protein.

I’d argue they’re worse, difference is, even for the people like me that use a ton of supps, we know most of them are BS. Problem is when it comes to pharma being over prescribed most aren’t aware that there is usually an alternative in many cases, but with supplements most people instinctively know they may help but you don’t (really) need them.