Nina brings the pain to Ornish Op-ed

(Tom) #1

(Bacon for the Win) #2

I :heart: Nina!

(David Driver) #3

They rely on the fact that we are usually too lazy to look up their facts. Good job Nina!

Hey @crunchfrog, did you see this in Scientific American?

It’s quite amusing. The scientific American article author skewers Ornish, starting with presenting him as:

“Last month, an op–ed in The New York Times argued that high-protein and high-fat diets are to blame for America’s ever-growing waistline and incidence of chronic disease. The author, Dean Ornish, founder of the nonprofit Preventive Medicine Research Institute, is no newcomer to these nutrition debates. For 37 years he has been touting the benefits of very low-fat, high-carbohydrate, vegetarian diets for preventing and reversing heart disease. But the research he cites to back up his op–ed claims is tenuous at best. Nutrition is complex but there is little evidence our country’s worsening metabolic ills are the fault of protein or fat. If anything, our attempts to eat less fat in recent decades have made things worse.”

And then Ornish provides a rebuttal, which Scientific American publishes…but with a counter-rebuttal by the author. It’s quite a funny read. Ornish loses BIG TIME, and his hidden agenda, promoting very low-fat, high-carbohydrate, vegetarian diets, is so obvious.

(Tom) #5

Awwwwwwwwsooooome

(Tom) #6

Good lord, his rebuttal started with an the fallacy of appeal to longevity, then fallacy of appeals to authority, then fallacy of social proof, and… sigh… I just stopped caring. And he keeps saying that “I’ve been writing about xxxxxxx for years.” but can’t be bothered to even cite his own works.

(Richard Morris) #7

Nina is a rockstar … Ornish doesn’t have a chance.