Nice NSV in a potluck line

I went to a holiday potluck tonight. The woman in front of me exclaimed over a dessert item, and I agreed with her that it looked really good. She started to dip up a piece for me (total stranger!), and I said, “Oh, no thank you, I don’t eat sugar.” She asked why not, and I said, “Because I used to be diabetic.”

Her jaw dropped and she said, “Used to be? You’re not anymore?”

I said, “No. I started low-carbing almost three years ago, and after a couple of months, my blood sugar normalized, and it’s been normal ever since.”

She put down her plate and hugged me, and said, “So it’s really possible then?”

I said, “Absolutely. In fact, it’s common in people who low-carb.”

She hugged me again and walked away as if in a daze, mumbling, “That’s amazing…amazing.”

I’m not sure why she was so moved (diabetic herself? Loved one?), but the encounter was a nice little reminder to myself of what’s important. I’ve been pretty much stalled for two years, but yeah, the health benefits are a much bigger deal, so I’ve kept faithfully low-carb all this time without ever considering giving it up. I think it’s because my focus has been on my health, with weight loss as only a secondary marker, that it hasn’t really even been difficult to keep plugging along. The scale might not be moving, but neither is my blood sugar. I feel great. And hey, another way to phrase “two-year plateau” is “two years of rock-solid maintenance,” and I’ll happily take that.

And maybe I’ve now spread hope to someone else.

Incidentally, I brought cranberry-orange muffins, and I prominently labeled them as low-carb, and I had no leftovers to take home. From a table loaded with full-sugar cake, pie, cookies, and fudge, my low-carb muffins found their target.

I added orange extract, a little extra liquid sweetener, and about an extra third-cup of cranberries. It made 17 muffins. I cooked them for 25 minutes (convection oven).

I think she was so amazed because she was talking Type 1 diabetes - which is genetic, and you were talking Type 2 diabetes - which is acquired? You cannot heal Type 1 diabetes with diet.

(bulkbiker) #3

More likely that she’d ben told by her doctors that T2 diabetes is a chronic, progressive condition that will only get worse and will eventually result in requiring insulin. That’s what most newly diagnosed T2’s are told.

(Scott) #4

Any type 1 that has even the most basic understanding of the mechanics of T1 diabetes already knows it is not curable. IMO

Scott-
I never assumed she had type 1 diabetes. Did you?
Mark
Yeah, that’s possible. But most doctors would tell a type 2 that they need to diet.

(bulkbiker) #6

Not in the UK really… at least not in any constructive way…

(Susan) #7

This is lovely, hopefully this lady looked up low-carb and/or Keto when she got home. Thanks for that recipe, I bookmarked it, I think that would be great to make for my New Year’s Eve yearly celebration with my friend Paula and her hubby when they come over. I will have non-Keto sweets and snacks as well for everyone else, and I will be having a few drinks so not staying totally on course that night, but having a treat that I can have without guilt will be good too =).

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

That is a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it!

And I don’t think she meant Type 1. Unless you specify T1 the assumption is generally T2. And while I hope most doctors now know it is reversable, I don’t think that is common knowledge yet, or that doctors are teaching their patients well in that regard.

But at least know there are a bunch of people like you out there sharing their stories!

(Scott) #9

I know that a text reply can sound terse, but that is not my intent here. It was you who said “…she was talking Type 1 diabetes. …”. My grandson is type 1 and my first reaction was “how, nobody else in the family is”. I know so much more about T1 now and because of 2KD I know about T2. Still reading and learning here. My gut feeling is someone told her like others T2 is progressive and you can only manage it’s progression.

@Rclause
So sorry for your grandson. But many people live with it and have a good life. They have to be very disciplined though. Its very tough on children, I know, because I am a paediatrician. I just quit early on to do something else. The last time I held a stethoscope in my hands was 1986.
I think it is not necessary to go on and on about what we “assumed” she felt in such an aggressive manner. It just doesn’t really matter, does it? She was happy, at any rate.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #11

What a wonderful story, @Koda! And I love that you got a hug!

I’ve been type 1 for 33 years and automatically assumed you - and she - were talking about type 2. No confusion here!

:slightly_smiling_face:

(Bob M) #12

Have you gotten Berntein’s book?

You want to be on low carb as a T1, as T1s can also develop a type of insulin resistance. Low carb helps with that and helps stabilize blood sugar.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #13

Speaking as a former kid with type 1, initially it was incredibly important to not be too different to everyone else - which for me meant a more ‘standard’ diet than low carb, but with the right amount of insulin to deal with the carbs and blood glucose management.

I did okay and avoided being too different to my school friends. That was very important at the time.

Now I’ve grown up and don’t give quite so much care to what others think, I do things rather differently, and am thriving on keto.

I had a fairly normal life with my T1D as a child. I feel I would have struggled hugely at school on a low-carb diet.

(Scott) #14

I am in need of a new book and you reminded me that this was on my list. I am going to visit my grandchildren on Thursday and may play a podcast for my son that was on 2KD. I can’t remember his name but he developed T1 three months after getting antibiotics for a tick bite. The takeaway is that the better you can regulate the carb intake the less insulin required to medicate. Right now my grandson is being given thing like a glazed doughnut and cereal for breakfast and they calculate the values to send to his pump or inject. I think a better diet would help keep the insulin required to correct lower and have health benefits over the long term. I must admit that my son and his wife have had lots of training that I haven’t. I am also trying my best to not be intrusive or disruptive to his family. I just care deeply about all my grandchildren and want them to be health as can be.

(Scott) #15

The poor guy has a pretty bad case of tourettes to. He really deserves a break. I pray for him to outgrow the tourettes and that a cure for T1 will be found one day.
No worries on the story, I did my best to phrase it in a non argumentative way. Sometimes a typed response sound good in my head but can offend others. Anyway I really like the story the OP told and it is a “feel good” story. I like those always but this time of year I need some to make the season feel complete.

(Katie) #16

This is so wonderful! Thank you for sharing your message and story to her, the effect is potentially life-changing/saving!

(Shelly) #17

True, but I’ve read testimonials of people with type 1 that they’ve substantially lowered the amount of insulin they need to take.

yeah of course.
but most people don’t even know that there are 2 types of diabetes.