Newby

conversationstarters

(Amy Grieve) #1

Hey guys just wanted to say preparing for my firat ever keto !! What’s your best advice u can give me ??

(Luke Jeffery) #2

Don’t be scared of fat or adding salt to your food.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Short version:

Eat little or no carbs, moderate protein (enough to maintain lean body mass), and fat to satiety.

Longer version:

Update - This, too:

(Genevieve Biggs) #4

Don’t worrying about watching calories or ratios until you are adapted. Just eat food. Your body is probably starving for nutrients, which meat, dairy, and other keto fiids have plenty of.

(Jake P) #5

This WOE is counter intuitive to everything you have been taught about nutrition. Trust the information you get here and just go with it. It can seem wrong at first, but stick with it and the results are the proof it works.

Learn how to make chicken broth and drink it hot daily. It’s full of salty ’ gelatinous goodness’ that your body loves with every sip. When I gave some to my friend she said " it takes like roast chicken in a cup!" Welcome and good luck. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

Keep it simple. Don’t make yourself go hungry.

(Mark) #8

Uncured Bacon is your new best friend and Bacon’s best friend are pastured eggs a match made in heaven

(Guardian of the bacon) #9

I still miss a nice piece of home made wheat toast to sop up that yellow yumminess from a perfectly cooked over easy fried egg.

Not a lot…just a little I miss it.

(Jenn W) #10

Have a go to…
There will be times that you pull the “sugar brain” staring contest with the fridge door or cabinet door wide open saying… “foood”.
Have a go to Keto snack always on hand. When I first started it was pork rinds. I always had a bag ready for me to grab. My other is cheese and pepperoni… it can be a snack or a meal really… I love me my pepperoni!!

(Jenn W) #11

Don’t tell my kids but sometimes you just gotta lick the plate!!

Or use bacon to scrape that last bit of yum up!

(Guardian of the bacon) #12

Much to my wife’s dismay I always lick my plate.

(Jenn W) #13

I just ate my bacon and eggs…
my dog beat me to licking the plate…

Go through your cupboards and fridge and get rid of non keto foods. You WILL get cravings and be tempted to eat them. Don’t fool yourself…it will happen.

If you cannot get rid of the food (I.e. Someone else eats the food in the cupboards, too)…then come up with an alternative strategy…like a quarantine zone you will not reach into.

(Sue McDaniel) #15

Help! This newbie needs some advice!

I started Keto about 2 weeks ago. I went into ketosis after about 48 hours. I keep my carbs under 20, I’m never hungry, I feel fabulous! But, after 2 weeks, I still haven’t lost any weight.

My daughter has been on keto for 3 days and has lost 7 lbs already!
She’s 25 and active; I’m 65 and not very active…I walk 3 miles/day but that’s it.
She has 50 lbs to lose; I have 30 lbs to lose. (I’m 5’4" and weigh 165 lbs)
She eats at least twice as much as I do (2000 cal); I’ve had bariatric surgery so I eat very little (900 cal)

For me, this is the easiest, most natural way of eating I’ve experienced and as I started this post saying, I’ve NEVER felt as good as I do now. But I’d really like to lose a little weight. Suggestions?

(George) #16

900 cals seems a bit low, but as long as you’re getting full off of those calories then that’s what matters, just make sure most of your calories are coming from fat. There are times where I trigger a good metabolic response from higher calories and end up losing more weight than usual, but I switch it up pretty often to keep the body guessing.

Some folks experience rapid weight loss, while others respond slower. In fact, some even gain a little weight before it starts falling off. Also, don’t get discouraged by comparing your progress to your daughters. You say she has more weight to lose, so that’s going to result in things working a little faster for her in the beginning. Things slow down when the body gets close to it’s ideal weight.

Best word of advice and just keep calm and keto on.

***Edit - I believe there is an episode of the 2 Keto Dudes that covers keto and people that have had bariatric surgery. Definitely worth giving it a listen

(Sue McDaniel) #17

George - thanks for replying. I don’t feel so alone out here now!
I’ll definitely look for the 2 Keto Dudes episode.