Newby on a bicycle

(Christa Allgood) #1

I’m one week Keto with no cheats or mess ups that I’m aware of. I’m training for the MS150 (its’ 75 miles on Saturday and then 75 miles on Sunday) here in the Ozarks in September. I started training in January and cycle 5 or 6 days a week - an hour during the week and a long ride on Saturday. My longest so far has been 50 so I need to get more miles in soon!
Anyway I had a 25 mile ride this last Saturday (6th day of Keto) and I woke up nauseous. I took extra electrolytes and drank lots of water, ate some fats, etc…I did everything that was recommended to avoid Keto Flu but I think it hit me Saturday. I wasn’t able to finish my ride. That has never happened to me!! It’s gotten to where 25 miles is no big deal. So I guess my question is how long should I shorten my rides before I am more adapted to this lifestyle? I have a pretty heavy training plan over the summer and I know I need to adjust it for Keto - any suggestions on how to do that until I get fat adapted?
This is what my next few Saturdays look like in miles:
6/23 - 30
6/30 - 50
7/7 - 40
7/14 - 50
7/21 - 60**This will be my longest to date
7/27 - 50
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

(Tom Seest) #2

The good news is that you should be fine by September, even in the hilly Ozarks.

One suggestion would be to just slow down when you’re riding. Try to stay zone 1 or 2 (hard to do in the Ozarks), and just lower your energy consumption and output.

Another would be to try supplementing with VESPA, as it might help you access those fat stores.

http://www.vespapower.com/ofm/strategic-carbohydrates/

You could also look into coaching from either the people at VESPA or http://www.invictuscycling.com/ who specialize in coaching for fat adapted cyclists.

But, I think slowing down and just letting time work it out will help too.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

First of all, that’s awesome! My oldest sister has MS and I did the MS150 years ago. Like over 20 years ago. I wasn’t nearly as prepared as you sound.

Secondly, I went through a period where I would get nauseous running. A couple times it hit me when I ran but most of the time it was within an hour of finishing.

It was definitely an electrolyte issue. I would try to prepare for it by upping my electrolyte consumption before the run, but I just couldn’t get the balance right. I also wasn’t fat adapted yet, so my ketones were really high, which depletes electrolytes more.

The good news is all I had to do was suck on some pink himilayan rock salt and the nausea would go away within minutes.

Try this on your next bike ride. Just pack a few rock salt crystals in a baggy and take with you.

(John) #4

You are still trying to use carbs for everything, keep the pace low and it will get better. Every trip past 165 seemed to cut me down like it was 190 and just burn out, took a few months and I was all better.

Hey @ChristaA - I’m amazed at our parallels – I did the MS150 out here in California this past October, was not fully fat adapted and got nauseous on the second day. So I’m thinking I can help you to not make the mistakes I made.

My recommendations:

• Read The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Phinney and Volek
  • Go easy on the training intensity through July and increase gradually.
  • Take “backup” carbs with you to eat if you feel a bonk coming on. No need to be a hero. Not passing out does not set you back. Eating carbs to prevent a bonk does not set you back.
  • Expect that adaptation happens gradually, over months. I got overconfident after I completed my first fasted ride not realizing that I wasn’t ready for heat or sprints.
  • My nauseousness was related to heat, even though I was hydrated and supplemented sodium. I actually took in saunas to help acclimate.
  • If you are not fully adapted by September, no biggie. You can always eat some carbs for insurance.
  • Don’t let these caveats discourage you – it is totally worth it, and being able to ride 100 miles bonk-free is definitely possible.
  • I now use UCAN Generation Superstarch for long/intense days – it gives me a “slow drip” of carbs while enabling me to burn fat at the same time. I don’t need it because I’m fully fat adapted, but I it helps me to blow the doors off the young punks and skip the rest stations.

Best of luck, and thanks for supporting the MS Society!

(Christa Allgood) #6

Thanks!! What do you recomend for back up carbs? Maybe an RX bar? That’s what I was using before I started Keto. The one I like has 3 egg whites, 5 pecans, 4 cashews, 2 dates, and maple water for flavor. 22 carbs, 3 fiber, 13 total sugar (but no added sugars) and 12 g protein.