Newbie week 4

Hi everyone I’m almost week 4 of my new way of eating.
Finding it really easy to stick to
I’ve just had my first positive pink pee stick which I’m happy about
I feel slimmer and also better and no sugar cravings, only physically lost 2 lbs of weight so far though (I thought it would show more on the scales)
Although I’ve just tried a pair of trousers on that gave me the worst muffin top last month, and they fit like a glove so I know I’m going in the right direction.
So my question is just keep going as I am or tweak a few things to see more loss on the scales?
I’m staying below 30 net carbs per day, sometimes under 20 sometimes nearer 40 so I’m not so strict (there is room for improvement) but I’m also trying to listen to my body and if I’m hungrier, eat a bit more
Any tips at this stage welcome

I’d honestly say to just keep on keeping on : )

If you can stay at 20g net carbs and under, then that should help. Though everyone’s carb tolerance is likely to be slightly different, that’s the ‘prescribed’ amount for keto.

I’m about 10 weeks in now, and while I’ve apparently lost some ‘scale weight’, it’s not drastic. I know for a fact though, just by looking at myself, that I’ve gained a fair whack of muscle mass. So that will skew the weight results.

Best to just focus on the clothes that fit better and what you see shrinking and defattening ; )

Who cares what the scale shows, you get thinner and feel better, that’s what matters :smiley:
Don’t tweak anything yet, you go into the right direction and you aren’t even fat-adapted yet… Things may change there, I liked that.

I started with 40g net myself, I was lucky and it gave me ketosis and fat adaptation though no other benefits but I could lower my carbs later for them. If you can go lower, it’s probably a good idea to do so but if you like what you have and need your carbs at the moment, you can wait with that. It’s your woe, up to you to decide what you can and willing to do!

Good luck!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Feeling slimmer is the real progress. You might put on a bit of lean mass, now that you are eating better, and since muscle and bone are denser than fat, you can still lose inches, even if the scale stays the same or goes up.

Don’t worry about the scale number; we are far too fixated on that. Here’s the question to ask yourself: Would you rather lose thirty pounds and still look the same, or stay the same weight and look as though you’ve lost thirty pounds?

This is a very good idea. Let your body tell you how much food to eat. It knows better than we do.

Keep calm, and keto on!

(Allie) #5

Sounds like you’re doing just fine :slight_smile:
If it stops working, which may happen, tweak it then but while it works, go with it.

(Marianne) #6

Wonderful! Good things are happening, inside and out!

My suggestion is to try to stay below 20g carbs/day. In addition, I’d try to do total carbs, but it’s an individual decision. What helped me was confining my vegetable consumption (my only source of carbs), to sometimes lunch but mainly dinner.

Welcome! I’m glad you aren’t finding this difficult.

(Shannon) #7

Welcome! I agree with everyone who suggests not tweaking, but… :grin:, I have done a few tweaks along the way. I’m about 6 months in now. I experiment with intermittent fasting, usually 16:8, but I’ve also done 23:1 twice a week here and there. I am also now experimenting with increasing my daily calories because I’ve been doing quite a bit of exercise and want to make sure I’m replenishing properly. In the beginning, I started at more like 30g net carbs, but quickly reduced to the suggested 20g, which I think has been the best tweak so far.

Of course, if something comes naturally or seems a good idea and not hard to do, that may be fine, I don’t even consider it tweaking. I automatically reduced my eating window on keto, not after 4 weeks though… :wink:
But usually it’s enough to get used to keto first without adding a bunch of other new things we might not even need, just a tad more patience…

(Robin) #9

Welcome, welcome! It only seems slow because you are measuring with the scales. Your clothes, body and mind are sending you different signs. Trust them. The scale will eventually move more, but it can also mess with your head when it doesn’t meet your expectations.
Some people, especially on maintenance, weigh every morning, just to stay on top of things. Others of us quit weighing altogether.

Either way… you are already doing it! Way to go!
If you need to tweak later, just lower the carbs a smidge. It’s. Simple process really. Glad you have already seen success in so short a time.
You got this!