Newbie: Someone explain fasting?

(Paige) #1

So I was googling around (like I always do when idk what I’m doing Keto wise) trying to figure out what I should eat before/after my workout. I saw this post about people working out post fasting and how that’s better… which led to more articles about fasting for days.
Here’s my question (s)
Does fasting mean no liquid? (As in no food or drink for up to 10 days I’ve seen in some articles?)
Is fasting a good idea just starting out? I’ve been trying low carb for a while but until this week I don’t think I ever got into Ketosis. (Headache all week tells me I might have but then I ruined no carbs with a pancake :woman_facepalming:t3:)

I am one to never get in the right amount (enough) calories for the day, I’m usually lucky to break 800, carbs or no carbs. I’m one to have unplanned fasts all the time because I’m a single working mom and never slow down. I’ve had a headache for days and last night I was shaking because I’d not had enough to eat. I ate some fat filled food but ended up nauseous and still so this morning.

I normally wake up and drink a few glasses of water and then decide whether to eat later. But if I’m fasting should I not do that? No water before/after/during workouts? I’m getting ready to head out to the gym soon and idk if I should eat or not eat, but I will note that I feel hungry

Obviously I have no clue what I’m doing despite the million articles I’ve read and dozens of recipes I’ve made.

(Laurie) #2

Jason Fung MD wrote an excellent book - The Complete Guide to Fasting. There is also a 2kd podcast, the Obesity Code with Jason Fung and Megan Ramos.
The bottom line: There is no one way to fast. Some do water only, some add fat to a morning coffee. Some do intermittent fasting, maybe eating between 1:00 and 6:00 and fasting the rest. Some do multiple day fasts. Like most things keto, it is very individual so read up and then experiment with what works best for you.
Good luck!

(Paige) #3

I am definitely trying to read as much as I can so thank you for the recommendation.

For the intermittent fasting, I’ve seen people do it differently as well, some do it every single day between certain hours and some do it for a few days then back to normal. I really wish I had someone to help me create a meal plan/Keto plan. I barely have time to sleep let alone do so much research, but I’m trying!

(Laurie) #4

I understand. I was pretty overwhelmed at all the information out there at first. I hope this is not frowned upon, but I have another book to recommend, http://carriebrown.com/kickass-keto. It is also available on Amazon if you want a hard copy. It has a good overview of keto, a 28-day meal plan with recipes and shopping list for each week. I think it’s a good place to get a lot of info in one place. I’ve just finished the first week of mealplans and it’s pretty easy and tasty.
Or you can keep it very simple and have eggs or a BPC for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch, and a protein with small veg for dinner. Try to eliminate snacking by eating enough fat at meals to keep you from getting hungry in between.
Keep at it and don’t overthink. Just keep calm and keto on!

(Paige) #5

Thank you!! I will look at them both this evening!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

For a good keto plan, you could start with downloading the Atkins20 foodie plan, it only recommends a couple of bars and shakes which you can easily avoid, just use something keto you like when it does call for those. it has a handy shopping list as well. While Atkins doesn’t emphasis fasting like Dr. Fung and some others, it is a good resource for a starter plan. It got me into ketosis quickly.

This thread on our forums is very helpful to most newbies as well:

Dr. Fung’s Guide to Fasting is my go to, helps me get through lots of fasts.
Make sure you are getting enough fats BEFORE you start a fast, and Salt is your friend during any fasting period, even the over night ones, it will get you to the finish line on a intermittent fast everytime.

All the best on your Journey.

(MLD) #7

It sounds as though nutrition in general is a challenge for you. Fasting may not be the best option at the moment. Instead, stabilizing your diet and working on optimal nutrition may be a better bet. When you say you rarely break 800 calories a day, very likely you are not eating enough day after day after day. Continually undereating may also be associated with not getting sufficient micronutrients, which are important no matter what diet you have adopted. Fasting if you are already not in a good nutritional state is not a good way to get the best from your workouts and may actually be counterproductive.

If you’re interested head over here and do some reading. The site also has info on keto diets, paleo diets, optimizing nutrition, fasting, and workouts. Hope this is helpful. https://optimisingnutrition.com/optimum-nutrition/

(Chan Cleland) #8

This. :arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up: Eat more.

(Tom) #9

Re your question on water/fluid - fasting is just about the food. You need to drink lots of water and keep hydrated, probably more water than you’d normally drink as you’re not getting any other water from food when you fast.

So no, don’t skip the water. Black coffee/Tea are also good. Skip the sugary fizzy drinks. Headaches can be a sign you need a bit of salt. Some people like to drink bone broth which has minerals in it, but that makes me hungry. You need to try a few things to see what works for you.

(zubair) #10

hi paige, i am quite new to keto also, but i has some knowledge if thats any help. i am not a religious person nor trying to bring you towards religion, but i believe that medicine was at its height at the time of jesus( thats why god sent jesus with powers to cure every disease.in those days medics had cures for all ailments besides death, leprosy and blind from birth, so jesus could also cure these, as proof that he as a true prophet)since then, cures have been lost through history.in old muslim herbal/ medical books, they mention that fasting on alternate days strengthens the body, the fasting is from before dawn and finishes at sunset.that fast has no water, infact nothing that enters the throat.there must be a link of why the fast starts before dawn and ends at sunset, that we dont know, or that the reason has been lost over time,(like sleep patterns of when to sleep and there effect on keto addaption,as mentioned by stephanie keto person on you tube)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Even the most ardent of the Christian desert mothers and fathers would not go more than three or four days without water when fasting. If you want to fast longer, water is essential. And the traditional forty-day fast is about the limit for going without food.

The Ramadan fast is complete abstinence from food and water from dawn to dusk (or from sunrise to sunset, which shortens it a bit), but food and drink are allowed during the night. (Smoking is also forbidden, because Arabic uses the same word for drinking and smoking.) In my youth and early adulthood I used to do the Baha’i version of this, which is a period of nineteen days, and found that even while eating a fair amount between sunset and sunrise, the long period of fasting during daylight did indeed have quite an effect.

I became a devout Christian after getting sober and found fasting impossible, because of the metabolic damage from alcohol consumption. Although my metabolism has pretty much straightened itself out these days, and I go a fair length of time between meals now that I am ketotic, I find that the thought of fasting still carries enough emotional baggage for me that I can’t quite bring myself to undertake it.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

I’m fairly new to the keto thing (I haven’t fully gone keto, but my hubby has). I make these keto shakes/pudding that are pretty good. I actually used them as a supplement for my 18m toddler. And if I don’t use them right away my husband consumes them!

I’ll post it in the recipe section as well.

It is:
1 CAN coconut milk
1 Avacado
6 Tbsp creamy, natural peanut butter
Dash (1/8 tsp) vanilla

Put in a blender and mix well. This will make about 2 cups worth. It will be very thick and will be the consistency of pudding the next day. You can think it out with water.

1 cup supplies about 600 calories (that is about ½ of what an 18m needs).

(Beth) #13

Wish I had known this “pudding” recipe when my boys were toddlers!! I’ll try it for me… thanks!

(Eric Clément) #14

Jason Fung’s obesity code pod cast episode 3 explains the Benefits of fasting. It’s worth a listen.